fox t2 Seagate exact replacement not seen by humax t2

ok old drive
st3500312cs firmware sc13 date code 1322 2012-09-22 p/n 9gw132-191 fails smart test

new hd st3500312cs firmware sc13 date code 11132 2010-09-26 (second hand) p/n 9gw132-012 smart test OK

Last edited:
This is all very peculiar. An apparently identical HDD to the original doesn't work, and yet you assume a different one will work (post 18)? I'm not saying it definitely won't, but it does appear to be a lottery.

Perhaps the clue is in the statement "I have just tried an old sata laptop hd and the humax offers to format it"
I think the odds of the new one working is a lot lot higher than winning the lottery:) (or is it "a lot lower?) OK. Better

ok I have copied the partition table from old hd dumped it too the new hd. Need to find cluster size for ext2 to format new hd.(I assume its 4kb)

this will be my last attempt on the 500gb (unless someone has a brainwave)

I could switch the controller boards from the 2 hd's but I cannot be bothered lol

just to recap old hd works but smart test has errors. humax will take a laptop drive and format it. humax box works with external drives.

new drive is not recognized at all in the humax. the new drive has passed all tests on a desktop.

Last edited:
Does the new drive support using jumpers to select the SAS speed? Whilst it shouldn't be necessary, it might be worth forcing a lower speed.

I have mirrored the drive. just off to try it ....will also try another non AV/dvr desktop drive see what that does

ok new pipline 500gb hd was not recognized even after a format and partition copy from old hd

I did a further test and hooked up a standard old 1tb Maxtor desktop drive(2013), and again the humax asked me to format the drive.

there must be a difference in the 2 pipeline drives, the humax does not like the pipeline from 2010

Last edited:
ok I have just tried an old sata laptop hd and the humax offers to format it.

I have just ordered a ST1000VM002. Which should work.

Yes the ST1000VM002 will work. I've just put one in my T2 after the old HDD started suffering write failures.
Do not pre-format it, just install it and the T2 will ask you to format it once booted(less than 2 mins).
It runs perfectly and I was able to transfer all my old recordings on to it and they are all fine.

Last edited:
Yes the ST1000VM002 will work. I've just put one in my T2 after the old HDD started suffering write failures.
Do not pre-format it, just install it and the T2 will ask you to format it once booted(less than 2 mins).
It runs perfectly and I was able to transfer all my old recordings on to it and they are all fine.

Lets hope so...its hopefully due here tomorrow

I think the obvious answer here is the "New" !! drive is a USED, older (2010) than the original drive (2012), and was probably removed from a PVR due to it being faulty, sold on by someone who, like the OP, presumed because Windows recognised it and SMART said OK - that it is OK.

Too many people, unfortunately, believe that Windows is to be relied on 100% it is not. The Humax does not use NTFS or FAT32.

Fit a NEW, as in brand new, drive and all will be OK, as your laptop drive has proved. Return the faulty second hand drive for a refund!

job done ....1TB pipeline firmware sc11 fitted,straight in formatted just tried to record and seems to work fine.

Thanks for all the help..

Back