[foxlink] Simple way to link a HD to a HDR.

Because the default setting in the folder created via [Modsettings] has "folder=My Video" which I assumed was for a HDR and I thought the equivalent for the Fox HD was "Video". That's what appears under the usb drive ie in the same folder as [ModSettings].

Because the default setting in the folder created via [Modsettings] has "folder=My Video" which I assumed was for a HDR and I thought the equivalent for the Fox HD was "Video". That's what appears under the usb drive ie in the same folder as [ModSettings].
I think the word "folder" is misleading here. What it really needs is the share name that has been explicitly defined in smb.conf (or a file referenced from smb.conf, such as smb-hotplug.conf). The only thing which makes it a folder name is if the definition corresponds with an actual folder name (poor presentation choice in the original design, but too late to do anything about that now).

The following works, with network-shares-automount installed on the client (shouldn't matter whether that's HDR-FOX or HD-FOX), using samba on the server HD-FOX with the default smb.conf (192,168.1.23 is the IP address of my server HD-FOX, not necessarily anyone else's):

[ModSettings] >> smb >> <name_of_your_choice> >>
Code:
domain=Domain or Workgroup
folder=Media
host=192_168_1_23
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=Password
shareFolder=off
user=User
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Or this works:
Code:
folder=drive1

But this doesn't:
Code:
folder=drive1_Video

("Media" corresponds with an explicit share in smb.conf, and "drive1" is an explicit share auto-generated in smb-hotplug.conf when an external drive is detected - which, in the case of a HD-FOX, is always.)

However, with the following added to smb.conf (on the server HD-FOX), folder=Video works:
Code:
[Video]
   comment = Video
   path = /media/drive1/Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

I have no experience with foxlink, so I would have to play some more to find out what works for that - but if it needs similar fiddling, that stops it being "simple" so you might as well use network-shares-automount. Maybe foxlink can be updated to be compatible with HD-FOX as server, but this line (from the first post) seems to sum things up:
If you need any more functionality that a simple one-way link from a HD to a HDR then you should use network-shares-automount.
...meaning serving from an HDR-FOX, not serving from a HD-FOX.

It is a practical proposition to serve from a HD-FOX now we have user control over encryption keys (make all your machines have the same key, and "this programme is scrambled" problems are over).

I have also copied these details into the NSA thread here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/post-20016

Last edited:
Thank you! I made the change to folder=Media, and it does indeed work. So simple once you know.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to work this out.

I have no experience with foxlink, so I would have to play some more to find out what works for that - but if it needs similar fiddling, that stops it being "simple" so you might as well use network-shares-automount. Maybe foxlink can be updated to be compatible with HD-FOX as server, ...
Do keep up. An update to the package that included the Webif UI would provide simplicity but isn't going to happen; network-shares-automount works and is arguably as simple (and can be operated from the Humax UI).

No sleight intended; I was merely following my own line of investigation and came to a similar conclusion.

For friends, I've set up a HDR-FOX downstairs with a client HD-FOX upstairs, using Foxlink. They're fitted with WiFi dongles, in the case of the HD-FOX using a USB hub so as to co-connect a UPD with the CF on it.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes (more often than would be a minor inconvenience) the "Downstairs" share appears in the USB list, but without any content.

I'm not very familiar with Foxlink, I use NSA myself, so I'm struggling to work out the cause. a reboot of the HD-FOX seemed to cure it when I was fiddling around.

Using Foxlink, does the share appear in the USB list regardless of whether the connection is active? This would be unlike NSA.

The connection is always active while Foxlink is installed. That's its major flaw. If "Downstairs" reboots or loses the connection, then upstairs might/will become unstable. You compound the misery by using wireless as it's more susceptible to connection loss.

The connection is always active while Foxlink is installed. That's its major flaw. If "Downstairs" reboots or loses the connection, then upstairs might/will become unstable. You compound the misery by using wireless as it's more susceptible to connection loss.
So I had best go back to NSA?

Back