Foxsat and On Demand.. Not for much longer.

After September it appears that BBC will be dropping iplayer support for legacy devices such as the Foxsat due to changes to their licensing and the software used will cease to function. Is there no work around for the foxsat or is it really the end?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

If so, I doubt there will be a work around - we couldn't with the HDR-FOX without Humax releasing a firmware update to accommodate the BBCs format changes.

I guess what you report could affect HDR-FOX also - do you have a reference?

So?

The workarounds for me are: 1) Use my BT Youview box; or 2) Use my laptop optionally linked to the TV using HDMI; 3) Use my tablet optionally Chromecasting to the TV.

If you wanted a cheapish permanently plumbed in solution then look at the Android TV boxes that are on the market - Basically as capable as a tablet but specifically tailored for catch up / on line use. Better and more flexible than relying on whatever the latest / greatest smart TV / PVR models deign to offer.

If so, I doubt there will be a work around - we couldn't with the HDR-FOX without Humax releasing a firmware update to accommodate the BBCs format changes.

I guess what you report could affect HDR-FOX also - do you have a reference?

So?
If you use the on demand function and open iplayer a warning message comes up saying that after September the version of iplayer on the foxsat will no longer be supported. I assume this is due to the requirement for on demand users to prove they have a valid UK TV licence to view the content. Like you say. Humax would have to release a firmware update and a new iplayer package which is highly unlikely for such an old device. Which is a shame indeed.

(I use Tapatalk to view the forums and it tags on a signature)

If you use the on demand function and open iplayer a warning message comes up saying that after September the version of iplayer on the foxsat will no longer be supported. I assume this is due to the requirement for on demand users to prove they have a valid UK TV licence to view the content. Like you say. Humax would have to release a firmware update and a new iplayer package which is highly unlikely for such an old device. Which is a shame indeed.

(I use Tapatalk to view the forums and it tags on a signature)

It's nothing to do with the licence requirement. It's down to the BBC no longer supporting the MHEG protocol that delivered the old iplayer service. The Foxsat is so old that it doesn't have the processing power or the modern chips required to work with the later (and much superior) versions.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/v2_closure

You can buy a modern tiny box that supports the full range of catch up services for around £15.00. iplayer has near HD quality on the newer versions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Mon...ie=UTF8&qid=1473451297&sr=1-2&keywords=Now+TV

HDR-FOX not affected then.

I don't use iPlayer on the HDR-FOX a lot now. It has a tendency to make the box crash, so using it while a recording is ongoing is a no-no. Since they changed the profile, so that 1280 x 720 is no longer available, I use get iPlayer for anything I want to keep for a while or use the Now TV (Roku) app: this version can still access a higher quality profile (according to the BBC anyway).

Back