FOXSAT CF vs FOX T2 CF

I have a friend who wants to purchase a Humax Foxsat HDR, with the idea of using the CF software and webif.

Can the Foxsat webif do the same tasks as the FOX T2 webif, ie decrypt files, extract the BBC iPlayer file from the Foxsat HDD, are there any major differences between the two webif types ?

What are the advantages of the FOX T2 webif over the Foxsat HDR webif ?

Although the Custom Firmware packages for the Humax Foxsat HDR and the Humax HDR-Fox T2 both reside on the hummypkg site they have been developed separately. The main architect of the HDR T2 CF is af123 and the architect of the Foxsat HDR is Raydon, these two guys have helped each other out with ideas but the code needs re-writing for each box because they don't operate exactly the same. The details of the Foxsat HDR CF is on the AVforums site HERE. and a list of packages for it are HERE, the list of packages for the HDR T2 is somewhat larger and is HERE

The web interface started life on the Fox T2 and was ported over to the Foxsat initially by adrianf26; they then diverged.

Can the Foxsat webif do the same tasks as the FOX T2 webif, ie decrypt files, extract the BBC iPlayer file from the Foxsat HDD, are there any major differences between the two webif types ?

It can't decrypt files, but there is a custom firmware extension on the foxsat that can disable encryption completely.
It can't extract the iplayer stream either.
It has a remote control function similar to the Fox T2 (the Foxsat had it for a long time before the Fox T2 caught up).

Because of the way the Foxsat works it's not possible to remove the encryption from existing HD recordings as you can with the HD/HDR FOX T2. You can though arrange for all future HD recordings not to be encrypted at all. Nor is possible afaik (at least with the current development) to capture the streaming buffer to a file.

EDIT SNAP :)

t has a remote control function similar to the Fox T2 (the Foxsat had it for a long time before the Fox T2 caught up).
Does that include the automated keyword generation of timers? All I can find for the Foxsat is manual timer setting.

The ir package ( for the HDR Fox T2) is a 'virtual' remote control that can be displayed via the Web-If. There is also a Mobile 'virtual' remote control that displays better on a smartphone via it's Wi-Fi link rather than it's cell-phone link
EDIT
Sorry I have just realised that the Foxsat has a package actually called mobile-remote-control :oops:

Ah! The one called mobile-remote-control ?
I don't know, I don't have a Foxsat. What I do know is that the HDR-FOX ir package was first worked out on the Foxsat, and then had to be worked out how to access the same stuff on the HDR-FOX.

The HDR Fox T2 ir package provides similar functionality to the remote-control package on the Foxsat.
I'm afraid it's difficult to compare the two projects as they are independent (with some occasional crossover/collaboration) - hopefully somebody with both boxes will be able to provide more information.

Can the Foxsat webif do the same tasks as the FOX T2 webif, ie decrypt files, extract the BBC iPlayer file from the Foxsat HDD, are there any major differences between the two webif types?

I can at least provide some background. The CF abilities on the HDR-FOX are heavily dependent on exploiting specific features which may be unique to the HDR-FOX. On-the-box decryption relies on the DLNA server - if the FoxsatHDR has no server there is no route in (the HD-FOX also has no server, but is sufficiently similar hardware-wise that it can be made to run HDR-FOX firmware). Decryption of HiDef relies on being able to clear the flags which mark it as HiDef without also rendering the recording unplayable. Decryption by copy to USB is only available because Humax made it available (for StDef).

The iPlayer stream can only be captured because (possibly by oversight) Humax failed to clear the buffer (and not encrypt it) on exit from the Portal. The HD-FOX does not buffer the stream, so there is nothing to capture.

In short, if your friend likes the capability of the HDR-FOX + CF, he needs the HDR-FOX not a FoxsatHDR. If he needs Freesat rather than Freeview, then he will have to accept the FoxsatHDR and take what the Foxsat CF has to offer as a bonus.

Sorry I have just realised that the Foxsat has a package actually called mobile-remote-control :oops:
That's a shame. The one big feature I find missing from modern Freeview HD PVRs compared to my faithful old Toppy is automated keyword-generated timers. The Fox T2 custom package provides it (I am told) but the Foxsat custom package does not. If Raydon or one of the other developers is looking in and taking note then it would be great if this could be made available.

For your information, af123 set up a web site (the Remote Scheduler) which means we can monitor and update our HD/HDR-FOX recording schedules from anywhere with web access (even away from home). It includes automated EPG search for key strings, and can either email matches or automatically add them to the recording schedule.

Back