Foxsat clipping end of recordings

merlin777

Some of my recordings, usually ITV3+1 (possibly exclusively but not 100% sure) end slightly too early. Very frustrating to lose the last minute or two of a murder mystery!

Any idea what's going on and how to avoid it?

1) Use padding instead of relying on Accurate Recording.

2) Use ITV player to catch the last few minutes of a programme.

I have the same problem, but have worked out why. If you have another recording starting straight after the other one on the same channel it will do this. My recordings are set to start and end 5 minutes before & after the program. If another program on the same channel is set to record it will obviously start 5 mins before, and if the other program is still running then that one will be clipped. All you have to do is then open the recording from the next program and you will see the last few minutes of the previous recording at the beginning of the next one.

Of course you could just reduce the amount of time it starts recording before & after to allow for that - perhaps a couple of minutes or so.

I have the same problem, but have worked out why. If you have another recording starting straight after the other one on the same channel it will do this. My recordings are set to start and end 5 minutes before & after the program. If another program on the same channel is set to record it will obviously start 5 mins before, and if the other program is still running then that one will be clipped. All you have to do is then open the recording from the next program and you will see the last few minutes of the previous recording at the beginning of the next one.

Of course you could just reduce the amount of time it starts recording before & after to allow for that - perhaps a couple of minutes or so.

If you are using autopadding the box drops the padding automatically between recordings from the same channel and reverts to the scheduled times. Any error is then down to the programmes not running to schedule, it's not created by the padding.

That is what I thought, but it isn't that as I've checked the schedules - BBC keeps strictly to schedules and it is definitely the padding as it didn't do this before I changed to 5 minute padding. Anyway, I'm not bothered as long as I remember which program came afterwards so I can change to that and watch the end of the previous one.

That is what I thought, but it isn't that as I've checked the schedules - BBC keeps strictly to schedules and it is definitely the padding as it didn't do this before I changed to 5 minute padding. Anyway, I'm not bothered as long as I remember which program came afterwards so I can change to that and watch the end of the previous one.

Try setting a 10 min +- autopad. For two consecutive recordings on BBC1, the changeover will be at the scheduled time. The BBC like everyone else re-schedule at short notice. The Voice last Saturday started late due to the previous programme over running. Any programme following a live sporting event is particulary vulnerable, Any one without enough padding on the end will have lost the end of the voice.

AR on my Foxsat-hdr box coped without problems.

But that still won't solve the problem, surely? If I'm recording a program now, with 10mins padding, and the HDR is set to record the next program on the same channel, it will stop recording the current one 10 minutes before the next one starts, due to the padding. Therefore, to watch the last 10 minutes of the first program I have to play the second program and will find the last 10 minutes of the first program at the beginning of the next one. Trust me, I have tried this. It's no problem if the programs are on different channels, but not on the same one. But it doesn't bother me as I just make sure I remember which program followed the first one so I can catch the last bit.

But that still won't solve the problem, surely? If I'm recording a program now, with 10mins padding, and the HDR is set to record the next program on the same channel, it will stop recording the current one 10 minutes before the next one starts, due to the padding. Therefore, to watch the last 10 minutes of the first program I have to play the second program and will find the last 10 minutes of the first program at the beginning of the next one. Trust me, I have tried this. It's no problem if the programs are on different channels, but not on the same one. But it doesn't bother me as I just make sure I remember which program followed the first one so I can catch the last bit.
Are you talking about auto padding or simply converting an existing recording to a manual one by editing the reservation. For instance if you have set up +- 10 mins autopadding in the setup menus. These are set using the on time and off time options in the menus. If you choose two recordings from BBC1 say scheduled 20:00-21:00 and 21:00-22:00. Without auto padding the box will wake up 15 mins (19:45) before and wait for the broadcaster to transmit the change of running status when recording of the first programme will start, recording of the first programme will terminate when the change of running status indicates the second is starting and the box will switch to recording that one. This will continue until the change of running status indicates the next programme is about to start. With the auto padding the box will wake and start recording at 19:50, at 21:00 it will switch to recording the second programme whatever time the actual switch takes place. The second will continue recording to 21:10. ) (It drops the inter programme padding) Tried this many times, however not tried it on the latest firmware (V1.00.20). If the programmes are on different channels and one tuner is committed then the auto padding will be honoured and the next programme will have 10 mins chopped off the beginning. The Foxsat-hdr is different it drops the inter programme padding even when the recordings are from different channels.

Autopadding retains serial links, manual padding does not.

Talking about AutoPadding. I haven't looked at it in detail, but it doesn't happen every time. Perhaps it happens when one tuner is recording on another channel, leaving other tuner to handle the channel with 2 consecutive programmes. But anyway, it happens - used to annoy my wife as she thought she had lost the end of the programme, till we realised we could watch it on the following programme. We don't record many back-to-back programmes, so it isn't really a problem.

Talking about AutoPadding. I haven't looked at it in detail, but it doesn't happen every time. Perhaps it happens when one tuner is recording on another channel, leaving other tuner to handle the channel with 2 consecutive programmes. But anyway, it happens - used to annoy my wife as she thought she had lost the end of the programme, till we realised we could watch it on the following programme. We don't record many back-to-back programmes, so it isn't really a problem.

That can't be right either, the Foxsat will only use one tuner when recording consecutive programmes on the same channel.

Well, whatever it does, I know for definite what I've seen. Don't know why it does it, but as I now know that it does it, I can find the 'lost' endings.

how does the box behave if for example a recorded program ends at 2100 but there is 5 mins padding and another recording is due to start at 2100 on another channel and throughout this a programme is being recorded from 2000 to 2200.

Basically i'm asking what gets priority; the start of the next program or end of the previous one.

how does the box behave if for example a recorded program ends at 2100 but there is 5 mins padding and another recording is due to start at 2100 on another channel and throughout this a programme is being recorded from 2000 to 2200.

Basically i'm asking what gets priority; the start of the next program or end of the previous one.

When you use auto padding you effectively turn off accurate recording, in this case the padding will be honoured, chopping 5 mins 0r so of the start of the second one (depending on when it actually started).

Basically the box tries to preserve the end of a recording at the expense of the start of the next even when you don't use auto padding. Manual padding by editing the times is honoured 100%.

Back