FOXSAT HDR locking up

You have ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that there is anything wrong with the physical disk at all. Stop jumping to conclusions.

No evidence ?

The timeshift error buffer area is the most common issue with a Foxsat-HDR which is constantly written to and rewritten and is known to cause the problems the OP originally referred to. Renaming the file to relocate the file to another area of the hard disk will usually resolve the problem. In this case it did for a short period.

The OP did a check of the hard disk and found numerous file system errors.

How much evidence do you need to suspect the hard disk is no longer reliable ?

I prefer facts to guesswork. You obviously prefer the latter. Hardly the mark of a so-called professional engineer.

After nearly 12 hours all the recordings are off and safe. So when Doctor Who is over I can do a factory reset and format. Then leave it over night to load the recordings back on, then see what the coming weeks bring. I have warned it though, one more silly locking up and its getting a new drive.

1TB over 320GB does has its appeal though, so might well go on Christmas list regardless.

Two weeks later....
At the end of a recording fast forwarded to get back the media menu. Got the live TV sound, a black screen with a frozen progress bar of the fast forward action. CF still worked, but all buttons didn't, had to power cycle it to get it back working.
New drive for Christmas then. As well as socks.

OK. Swapped out to a 1TB WD drive. The drive has started up and formatted OK.
When booting the HDR it still said "Custom Firmware 4.1.3" when booting. When trying to access it from my browser it says "404 not found The requested URL was not found". Thought OK all the folder on the HDD are gone, so reflashed CF. Same message. Reflashed just to the Humax firmware, then back to the CF. Still get the same message.
The network cable is plugged in and the lights are flashing. Checking the network setting on the HDR they are correct.
Any suggestions of what I can do to get the CF back?

OK. Swapped out to a 1TB WD drive. The drive has started up and formatted OK.
When booting the HDR it still said "Custom Firmware 4.1.3" when booting. When trying to access it from my browser it says "404 not found The requested URL was not found". Thought OK all the folder on the HDD are gone, so reflashed CF. Same message. Reflashed just to the Humax firmware, then back to the CF. Still get the same message.
The network cable is plugged in and the lights are flashing. Checking the network setting on the HDR they are correct.
Any suggestions of what I can do to get the CF back?

Can you ping the box IP address from a command prompt ? Can you see the Foxsat-hdr when you login to your router setup ?

Pinged OK and it shows up on my router. Rebooted router and replugged all cables. No joy yet.

Rebooted via the silver button on the front. Not with the rocker on the back.

Baffled, have you any other kit with a browser, smart phone/tablet etc you can try to access the Foxsat ? Best place to ask is on the CF thread at AV Forums.

Also try clearing your browser cache.

We're in. Flashed again to CF4.1.3. Pressed the sliver button to reboot. When I was back to the red off light I took out the USB stick and turned off the box with the rocker. Waited... Turned it on again with the rocker then the silver button. Then accessed it via a linux computer I have (i.e. another computer) and I was in. My main pc can also get it now.
I seem to recall this HDR did a similar thing to me years ago on a CF update.

Last edited:
In my experience you have to clear your browser's cache before installing new firmware, as the browser can cache the wrong index page for the box and not allow you access to the installer page.

Hello again everyone. Seems like only yesterday.....

A problem kicked off this morning that may well related to the previous in the post, which is why I am adding it here.

The new drive has been in and working for 2 1/2 months. My Foxsat 1 (which I shall now refer to as Foxsat 1 to differentiate if from my Foxsat 2) has been well behaved until this morning. Was playing a recording when the picture froze and it said "bad or no signal", screen went black, still with "bad or no signal". Foxsat 1 would then not respond to any buttons and no access to CF. Powered off with switch. Restarted the system and the recording and did the same, tried another recording, did the same.
Moved the recording to Foxsat 2 and played it off Foxsat 1 over my network, as 2 is mounted as a NAS on 1. Again it locked up at about the same point.
Tried playing recording directly off Foxsat 2 and it was fine.
Did a factory reset on Foxsat 1. At the wizard when trying to stop it looking for new software the stop button GUI froze depressed, eventually powered it off with the power switch.
When it rebooted managed to get a reflash working of the latest CF. When I got to the wizard got through to saving channel search. The dialogue for saving channels took a long time to go away.
When I got back in to the system it was slow. What I thought was freezing this morning was possibly the system going very slow. Changing channels with the remote, it will stick on one channel for a minute or so before eventually changing. Same with Filezilla going into folders, sometimes straight away often a long pause. The Web Interface too has long pauses.
Turning the unit off from the front panel button, the sound and picture go from the telly, but the blue display stays there for 5 plus seconds. Foxsat 2 the display goes out immediately when turned off.

In the time its taken to write this, Foxsat 1 has started responding as normal, channel changing, CF as snappy as they should be. So went to the recording that seemed to start it all off, again it froze at about the same point. Pressed the power button on the front, but this time waited. Eventually it did go off. Turned it on again and now its all sluggish again. Currently its sitting at trying to load the Media menu, while the CF is working, its taking 20-30 seconds to respond.
It the time its taken to proof read this, its still stuck Media but CF and Filezilla as snappy.

Sorry that was so long, but hopefully it might give someone a clue what is going wrong. I hope not my new drive!!!

Would it sensible to try swapping the drives between my two Foxsats to see where the fault ends up?

Remove the problematic recording to offline storage and see if the problems go away.

Thank you prpr. I have tried playing two other recordings, including one that was played without incident last night. But got the no signal message on both within a couple of minutes and the box crawled to a halt. I did move the first recording I played to Foxsat 2 and it played directly off there from the beginning to the end.

HDD? PSU?

Hi Trev,

The first recording I played that displayed the problem, I also had a copy of the .ts file on another drive, from ages ago (I have . I copied that and the .hmt/.nts files from Foxsat1 to Foxsat2. This played. So maybe not a fair test.
Have now attempted to take off all the first failed recording files (included folder of .tac's) off 1. Got everything but only half the .ts file as my FTP connection to 1 kept going very slow, or dropping altogether.
So copied across what I had and played these files from 1 on 2. This time at about the same point I got the no signal message, but 2 would respond to a stop command. 2 is still responding as it should.
Should I try deleting the this recording off 1? But why have the two other recordings I have so far attempted to play also got the same message and slowed the system?

That is what prpr said to do in post #36 but it now seems that you have several 'problem' files?

Back