FoxT2 Hootoo connection

Hi all. My first post.

I am not tech savvy, so please go easy. I picked up a used Fox T2. I would like to use it to connect to the internet using my current Huawei b525 router. The router is located too far to connect a cable, and I have no wifi adapter.

I do have a hootoo tripmate Titan, and I have connected it to the Humax via a blue ethernet cable.

I have software version FHCTP 1.03.12.

Please could someone assist in setting up the humax so that I can connect to iplayer?

I won't be able to do complex custom firmware updates, so unless it is a simple process, I probably won't bother.

I have managed to use the Hootoo device as a wifi extender with success, but not tried it as a cabled connection.

Thanks in advance.

I do have a hootoo tripmate Titan, and I have connected it to the Humax via a blue ethernet cable.
What colour the Ethernet cable is, is irrelevant... unless it's some special cable I don't know about.

Please could someone assist in setting up the humax so that I can connect to iplayer? I won't be able to do complex custom firmware updates
There's nothing complex about custom firmware updates, they work the same as a standard firmware update. However, you need to understand that iPlayer will not work unless you install Humax firmware 1.03.13 (or stick with 1.03.12 and install Custom Firmware to work around the bug).

Presuming your Titan (whatever that is) and cable really are providing your HDR-FOX with a network connection, actually configuring it is easy:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP, then Apply.

What colour the Ethernet cable is, is irrelevant... unless it's some special cable I don't know about.

There's nothing complex about custom firmware updates, they work the same as a standard firmware update. However, you need to understand that iPlayer will not work unless you install Humax firmware 1.03.13 (or stick with 1.03.12 and install Custom Firmware to work around the bug).

Presuming your Titan (whatever that is) and cable really are providing your HDR-FOX with a network connection, actually configuring it is easy:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP, then Apply.
Thank you. So I need to update the firmware as step 1 to 1.03.13? Can I do that through the humax itself, and will it update to 1..03.13 if i do?

No. It has to be downloaded from the Humax website to a UPD* and then you update your HDR-FOX by plugging in the UPD and rebooting.

* UPD: USB Pen Drive (AKA "USB stick", "memory stick", whatever).

See if your networking works first, sort out iPlayer later.

No. It has to be downloaded from the Humax website to a UPD* and then you update your HDR-FOX by plugging in the UPD and rebooting.

* UPD: USB Pen Drive (AKA "USB stick", "memory stick", whatever).
OK, thanks. Its getting too complicated for me already. I will probably just leave it then.

Thanks for your help.

Alas. I failed at the first hurdle nas I suspected would be the case. I formatted a usb drive on my chromebook, which I believe formats to FAT32. I downloaded the file from the Humax site for HDR fox t2 (I assume that is what I have). I powered off the Humax, installed the USB, powered on the Humax, and as expected, nothing happened.

Why they make these things so far removed from the average user to actually use without resorting to forums and hours of head scratch is beyond me.

Thanks anyway, back to the trusty old VHS player.

I formatted a usb drive on my chromebook, which I believe formats to FAT32.
Maybe, maybe not.

I downloaded the file from the Humax site for HDR fox t2 (I assume that is what I have).
The downloaded file should be hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf. If it is something.zip, you need to unzip it.

I powered off the Humax, installed the USB, powered on the Humax, and as expected, nothing happened.
The front USB port might be broken - try the rear. More info here (click)

Why they make these things so far removed from the average user to actually use without resorting to forums and hours of head scratch is beyond me.
It's 2010 technology, and worked in a 2010 environment. Things have moved on; what was available in 2010 is obsolete in 2021, and we now have to nurse it. UPDs are much bigger (potentially incompatible), and typically pre-formatted NTFS. The typical domestic premises didn't have Internet, so there were over-the-air firmware updates (now withdrawn, and modern devices update over the Internet).

The reason iPlayer has stopped working (without updated firmware) is because the embedded credentials expired September 2020. Even when it works, the iPlayer experience will be much rougher than on a modern unit (eg smart TV, Amazon Firestick, or even a tablet).

The reason we (this forum) are HDR-FOX enthusiasts is the Custom Firmware. It's not so hard as you seem to think (once you crack updating the firmware - it's just a knack).

You might not have noticed this, I added it to the post after you read it:
See if your networking works first, sort out iPlayer later.
Without "sorting out" iPlayer, you'll still be able to access it to prove your networking works... it just won't play anything.

Thanks anyway, back to the trusty old VHS player.
Sorry, I didn't realise VHS players could access iPlayer (or even record digital TV). IMO, you'd be much better off overcoming your fear of "modern" technology.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not.

The downloaded file should be hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf. If it is something.zip, you need to unzip it.

The front USB port might be broken - try the rear. More info here (click)

It's 2010 technology, and worked in a 2010 environment. Things have moved on; what was available in 2010 is obsolete in 2021, and we now have to nurse it. UPDs are much bigger (potentially incompatible), and typically pre-formatted NTFS. The typical domestic premises didn't have Internet, so there were over-the-air firmware updates (now withdrawn, and modern devices update over the Internet).

The reason iPlayer has stopped working (without updated firmware) is because the embedded credentials expired September 2020. Even when it works, the iPlayer experience will be much rougher than on a modern unit (eg smart TV, Amazon Firestick, or even a tablet).

The reason we (this forum) are HDR-FOX enthusiasts is the Custom Firmware. It's not so hard as you seem to think (once you crack updating the firmware - it's just a knack).

You might not have noticed this, I added it to the post after you read it:

Without "sorting out" iPlayer, you'll still be able to access it to prove your networking works... it just won't play anything.

Sorry, I didn't realise VHS players could access iPlayer (or even record digital TV). IMO, you'd be much better off overcoming your fear of "modern" technology.
Thanks for the reply. I will try the other USB, I have the unzipped version. I don't really have a fear of modern technology, the VHS remark was a joke, perhaps not allowed on this flavour of forum, so sorry about that. I am after all accessing this site on a computer using a huawei router and an attached extender device, which although is 5 years old, is still as modern as the humax box (my second BTW, the first packed up).

Cheers for the help

VHS remark was a joke
Fair enough, and I assumed such, but this is not a private conversation and is recorded for posterity so forgive a serious reply. I can be excused for any misinterpretation:
I don't really have a fear of modern technology
I won't be able to do complex custom firmware updates, so unless it is a simple process, I probably won't bother.

OK, it didn't work in front back USB, it is an old USB device, so either too old, or maybe not FAT 32
Difficult to tell from here, you just have to be persistent. This thread is relevant: USB Mass Storage Drivers for Firmware Update

My ability to do a firmware upgrade is not a fear of modern technology, it is more born out of frustration through 40 years of messing about with tech that should work, but just doesn't. As I feared, the Humax box is a prime example. OK, I am trying to do it with non standard hardware, so that may be a little unfair to the humax box, and perhaps it wasn't meant to work with such a device as I have. I would have thought up to date firmware could be installed over the airwaves instead of messing about with USB sticks.

However, some things are just not worth spending excessive time trying to function. I understand you guys are all Humax fans, so probably enjoy the process. I used to too, but m getting too long in the tooth with a dwindling supply of time left. If it was an easy straight forward process, I was willing to spend 30 minutes to get it to work, but it clearly requires much more time, or perhaps ability than I am prepared to chuck at it.

Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it.

I would have thought up to date firmware could be installed over the airwaves
As I said, it used to be but required expensive access to the DVB transmission network and was discontinued. If you mean by WiFi - that's the modern trend but was not a "thing" when the HDR-FOX was designed. We have a method in development, but that's using the Custom Firmware platform.

I was willing to spend 30 minutes to get it to work, but it clearly requires much more time, or perhaps ability than I am prepared to chuck at it.
So buy a Firestick. Job done.

For completion I tried two usb devices, both Sandisk. One was a vintage 8GB, the other a more modern 32 GB. The chromebook offered FAT 32 formatting of both drives.

As I said, it used to be but required expensive access to the DVB transmission network and was discontinued. If you mean by WiFi - that's the modern trend but was not a "thing" when the HDR-FOX was designed. We have a method in development, but that's using the Custom Firmware platform.

So buy a Firestick. Job done.
A firestick? I paid ten quid for the Humax, I can't afford a fire stick (That was another joke BTW).

I use an old 2gb music player for firmware updates - none of the USB sticks I tried work.
Unfortunately it can be a case of trial and error until you find a device that works and then, a few years later when an update is needed, trying to remember which one it was :(

Surely OP can dig out an ancient 512MB USB stick which probably has more chance of working than some relatively gigantic 8GB device (ancient = 8+ years old; vintage = 4 years old?)?

As a test put a video (MP4 such as this) on the stick formatted as FAT32, plug it into the Humax box, and see if it appears and is playable using the Media Storage option (manual, p37). If it doesn't work in the front USB, try the rear (ooh missus).

The Hootoo is this thing, a battery pack with a WiFi access point. Presumably the Humax box is attached to the Hootoo's ethernet socket and the device has to be set up in 'bridge mode' to connect to the house WiFi.

Apart from the CF, which offers unique capabilities, forum members enjoy the settop software, unusually for the industry not entirely brain-damaged and way ahead of both ancient Freeview sets and new "Smart" TVs, even if we carp about it.

If OP managed to get her (I assume) Humax s/w working, she would be able to enjoy the BBC's new iPlayer layout with minute menu icons down the left-hand side instead of the scrolling text menu across the top, a slight improvement since it's a lot more difficult to select one of the icons accidentally (luckily, since you can't tell which is which).

Surely OP can dig out an ancient 512MB USB stick which probably has more chance of working than some relatively gigantic 8GB device (ancient = 8+ years old; vintage = 4 years old?)?
bottletop is adamant there's nothing to stop any UPD working. But experience says that's wrong, at least for a "standard" format. I suspect it's due to start-up time.

As a test put a video (MP4 such as this) on the stick formatted as FAT32, plug it into the Humax box, and see if it appears and is playable using the Media Storage option (manual, p37). If it doesn't work in the front USB, try the rear (ooh missus).
That will prove the USB ports, but not that the particular UPD is suitable for firmware updating.

The Hootoo is this thing, a battery pack with a WiFi access point. Presumably the Humax box is attached to the Hootoo's ethernet socket and the device has to be set up in 'bridge mode' to connect to the house WiFi.
I sometimes use a TP-Link TL-WR702n in a similar way (powered from the USB port rather than an internal battery), and adding a power bank would provide the same facility. The Hootoo needs configuring so that it connects to the local WiFi and provides the connection at the Ethernet port of course (as does the 702n), which strikes me as just as complicated as some of the tasks needed to maintain the HDR-FOX.

A significant suggestion in the linked thread is that the firmware upgrade drive should be the only USB storage device connected.

Update instructions from Humax website -

humax-usb-firmware-instructions.png

The same info in text form -
Update Instructions
– Power OFF the product using the rear ON/OFF switch
– Download the software and save on a USB Pen*
– Make sure the filename is hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf
– Insert the USB Pen to the front or rear USB port on the product
– Power ON the product using the rear ON/OFF switch
– The download should start and the download progress should appear on the TV set; allow 5 minutes for the update to complete.
– When the update is complete End will appear on the front display, “Download Successful will appear on the TV.
– Remove USB Pen and press standby

Warning: During the update process DO NOT power off the product.

Note: USB Pen must be formatted in FAT32
The software must be on the root directory of the USB Pen (i.e. not saved in a folder)
If the update does not start then please make sure the filename is correct (hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf)
The file you download will already have the “.hdf” extension, there is no need to add the “.hdf” extension; your Windows explorer options maybe hidding filename extensions.
Not all USB Pens will be recognised, try a different USB Pen.

Suggestions
I think the info from Humax is more or less complete - the only thing I should add is that some drives are slower than others. Anything that takes over 8 seconds to initialise/present itself to the OS is unlikely to work. I did mention that further on https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/usb-mass-storage-drivers-for-firmware-update.10259/post-156135
And this bit helps
A significant suggestion in the linked thread is that the firmware upgrade drive should be the only USB storage device connected.

Last edited:
Back