May contain traces of nut
Have you ever done a firmware update by USB before? I presume not. This should proceed the same as a normal firmware update process, and the same as we use to add in the boot code for the Modified Software Project. To avoid repeating what has been extensively written before, I shall now go away and find the relevant links...
Okay, well I know this has been thoroughly covered before but as I can't quickly find where (I must put more effort into the Index) I shall embark on the definitive version.
The official instructions as currently posted on the Humax web site (http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=182) are (these are for the HDR-FOX T2, HD-FOX T2 is slightly different - see below):
A few footnotes from the communal experience:1. Download the software from the Humax website. (Support>Download Center)
2. Extract the ZIP file you download.
3. Connect the USB memory stick to the PC and copy the "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" file to the root folder of the USB.
Note: the root folder means copying the file on to the USB Pen drive in Windows e.g. E:\, do not place the software file into a folder
4. Place the product into standby mode (using the STANDBY button on the remote control or the STANDBY button on the front of the product)
5. Insert the USB memory stick to the front or rear USB connection.
6. Switch the product ON using the standby button (remote or front of the product). The product will now start up and the download process should start.
7. When the download is completed the Download progress will display "Success Downloading!"
8. To complete the download:
a. Remove the USB memory stick
b. Power on the product pressing the Standby button on the front of the unit
Note: Please do not power off the product or remove the USB memory stick while the update is in progress. During the download/install process the download will stop at 88% and 99%
- The Humax can be quite fussy about the USB stick. If you are sure you are following the instructions to the letter and it doesn't work, try another stick or two (or three).
- The stick should be formatted FAT32; one poster reported problems if the stick was not empty - that might have been because the update file was not in a single contiguous section of data on a nearly-full stick. If in doubt, reformat before use.
- The update file must have the file name "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" (upper or lower case doesn't matter). If the original file supplied is a .zip, the relevant file must be extracted from the zip. Sometimes the file is supplied raw as a .hdf, and/or may need to be renamed before use.
- Some people have reported it doesn't work in the front or rear USB port (the rear port is almost un-noticed under the Ethernet socket). If one doesn't work, try the other.
- Usually, all you actually need to do to start the update process is to reboot the box (by any means) with the USB stick plugged in. Just click it in and out of stand-by with the front panel pad (allow 30 secs for a proper shut-down, the internal HDD will click when it turns off and then it's OK to start up).
- If it takes, you will immediately see a "firmware download in progress" screen. You can remove the USB stick when the status changes from "downloading" to "programming". Don't worry about pauses. Make sure you remove the stick before you reboot when the update is completed, otherwise you will have to sit through the whole process again.
For completeness, updating the HD-FOX T2 proceeds as follows:
Download the firmware from Humax HERE (click) - make sure you pick the HD-FOX T2 version (it's easy to miss the R and get the HDR-FOX by mistake).
What to do with it:
1. Get a USB stick (formatted FAT32), unzip the download (if necessary) and put the "hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" file on the stick in the root directory.
2. Put the HD-FOX into stand-by, plug in the stick, then press and hold the stand-by button (on the box) until the TV screen shows the firmware update screen and "downloading in progress" (or words to that effect). You can then let go of the button.
3. After a short time the screen will change to "programming". There will be a few stops and starts, don't panic. Eventually it will ask you to press the stand-by button again to reboot.
Job done. Official Humax instructions are posted HERE: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=181 (but note that they may be incorrect - when checked, they were just a copy-and-paste of the instructions for HDR-FOX, which do not apply to HD-FOX).