Problem connecting to Humax Portal

Hold on.
Have you ever done a firmware update by USB before? I presume not. This should proceed the same as a normal firmware update process, and the same as we use to add in the boot code for the Modified Software Project. To avoid repeating what has been extensively written before, I shall now go away and find the relevant links...

Okay, well I know this has been thoroughly covered before but as I can't quickly find where (I must put more effort into the Index) I shall embark on the definitive version.

The official instructions as currently posted on the Humax web site (http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=182) are (these are for the HDR-FOX T2, HD-FOX T2 is slightly different - see below):

1. Download the software from the Humax website. (Support>Download Center)

2. Extract the ZIP file you download.

3. Connect the USB
memory stick to the PC and copy the "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" file to the root folder of the USB.
Note: the root folder means copying the file on to the USB Pen drive in Windows e.g. E:\, do not place the software file into a folder

4. Place the product into standby mode (using the STANDBY button on the remote control or the STANDBY button on the front of the product)

5. Insert the
USB memory stick to the front or rear USB connection.

6. Switch the product ON using the standby button (remote or front of the product). The product will now start up and the download process should start.

7. When the download is completed the Download progress will display
"Success Downloading!"

8. To complete the download:

a. Remove the USB memory stick
b. Power on the product pressing the Standby button on the front of the unit

Note: Please do not power off the product or remove the USB memory stick while the update is in progress. During the download/install process the download will stop at 88% and 99%
A few footnotes from the communal experience:
  1. The Humax can be quite fussy about the UPD (USB Pen Drive, memory stick, whatever). If you are sure you are following the instructions to the letter and it doesn't work, try another UPD or two (or three). Experiments have shown there is no reason for a UPD to be incompatible except for the way it is formatted or how long it takes to start up (if slow, the presence of a firmware update might not be recognised quickly enough and the boot process ignores it).
  2. The stick should be formatted FAT32; one poster reported problems if the stick was not empty - that might have been because the update file was not in a single contiguous section of data on a nearly-full stick. If in doubt, reformat before use.
  3. The update file must have the file name "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" (upper or lower case doesn't matter). If the original file supplied is a .zip, the relevant file must be extracted from the zip. Sometimes the file is supplied raw as a .hdf, and/or may need to be renamed before use. If you are using Windows and have it set to hide file extensions (eg ".hdf"), Windows should show the file as "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade" and type="hdf".
  4. Some people have reported it doesn't work in the front or rear USB port (the rear port is almost un-noticed under the Ethernet socket). If one doesn't work, try the other. In fact, it is least likely to work in the front port because there is a chance the front port has a broken wire.
  5. Usually, all you actually need to do to start the update process is to reboot the box (by any means) with the USB stick plugged in. Just click it in and out of stand-by with the front panel pad (allow 30 secs for a proper shut-down, the internal HDD will click when it turns off and then it's OK to start up). If all else fails, power off and on with the rear power switch.
  6. If it takes, you will immediately see a "firmware download in progress" screen instead of the usual Humax splash screen. You can remove the USB stick when the status changes from "downloading" to "programming". Don't worry about lengthy pauses. Make sure you remove the stick before you reboot when the update is completed, otherwise you will have to sit through the whole process again.

For completeness, updating the HD-FOX T2 proceeds as follows:

Download the firmware from Humax HERE (click) - make sure you pick the HD-FOX T2 version (it's easy to miss the R and get the HDR-FOX by mistake).

What to do with it:

1. Get a USB stick (formatted FAT32), unzip the download (if necessary) and put the "hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" file on the stick in the root directory.

2. Put the HD-FOX into stand-by, plug in the stick, then press and hold the stand-by button (on the box) until the TV screen shows the firmware update screen and "downloading in progress" (or words to that effect). You can then let go of the button.

3. After a short time the screen will change to "programming". There will be a few stops and starts, don't panic. Eventually it will ask you to press the stand-by button again to reboot.

Job done. Official Humax instructions are posted HERE: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=181 (but note that they may be incorrect - when checked, they were just a copy-and-paste of the instructions for HDR-FOX, which do not apply to HD-FOX).

Last edited:
Me again guys,
Copied the Humax update to my maxwell memory stick, followed the instuctions at #31 to the letter but no update screen appeared only the Humax screen with a7.30 in the bottom left corner. This then quickly changes to a fleeting glimpse of a green screen and then the last viewed channel starts.
I'm beginning to think I've bought a Monday morning/Friday afternoon box. Any ideas. Of course Humax support is now closed until Monday!

That sounds exactly like what I got with one of my sticks that didn't work for the random reason (or fragmented update file as per af123). I had to dig around for another stick...

Having just checked the attachment from Humax it reads "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade1.hdf" (209B) is the inclusion of the "1" significant. I firstly tried to open the file but window was unable to do this, they needed to know which program created it. So I just copied the file direct from the email attachment.
Regards.

This might sound easy to you but for me that has not much computer knowledge, how do I remove the "1" from "their" attachment?
With your cursor over the file, Right Click, then select Rename from the drop down menu. This will allow you to remove the "1" from the file name.

EUREKA KA KA KA it works, I have iplayer and a saved marriage HA Ha.

I would like to thank ALL you kind people; without you unwavering help of this 1950's old git I think the box and I would have departed via the nearest window. Once again thanks a lot.
Regards,
Roy.

Glad to hear that you have managed to install the update. Does this mean that your System ID is now "80BC.7E00"?

Yes thankyou.

Royboy, I'm very pleased that Humax finally sorted your problem, However if you had only recently purchased the item, Humax should have replaced the box with a new one so that you didn't have go through all this trauma. Humax supplied you with a box that had a System ID that would not only stop the Portal working but would probably stop any Over The Air software update from working. Also it's hard to see how it ever got to you with the incorrect System ID and I wonder what else is wrong with it. If you have any reason to contact Humax in the future, Be sure to tell them it had this 9B9B.9B9B System ID.

Royboy, I'm very pleased that Humax finally sorted your problem, However if you had only recently purchased the item, Humax should have replaced the box with a new one so that you didn't have go through all this trauma. Humax supplied you with a box that had a System ID that would not only stop the Portal working but would probably stop any Over The Air software update from working. Also it's hard to see how it ever got to you with the incorrect System ID and I wonder what else is wrong with it. If you have any reason to contact Humax in the future, Be sure to tell them it had this 9B9B.9B9B System ID.

OK will do thanks

Back