FoxT2 Hootoo connection

Surely OP can dig out an ancient 512MB USB stick which probably has more chance of working than some relatively gigantic 8GB device (ancient = 8+ years old; vintage = 4 years old?)?
The smallest one i have is 8GB, which also happens to be the oldest one I have, purchased in 2007. I'm not sure I have ever owned a 512MB drive, though I may have owned a 1GB 20 years ago.

I thought this topic would have died off. Boy, you guys are enthusiasts.:)

Update.

OK guys, your persistence prompted me to commit a further 45 minutes of my precious life force to the upgrade of the yummy hummy. The good news is I am now on software version 1.03.13, so step one is complete.

The bad news is that I spent 43 minutes looking for an ancient USB stick which I eventually found under a large pile of discarded fluff at the back of my pant drawer.

It took me a further minute and a half to write this out, which leaves me with 30 seconds of allotted time left.

ETA It was a 2GB drive that it finally accepted, for your records.

Having done the hard work of finding a suitable USB stick I hope you can now be persuaded of going the extra step and install the customized firmware and web interface.

The standard Humax is a good PVR but with the CF and WebIF it becomes a great one!
You can schedule recordings from anywhere in the world, automatically edit out ad breaks, download from iplayer in the background, and much much more...

Having done the hard work of finding a suitable USB stick I hope you can now be persuaded of going the extra step and install the customized firmware and web interface.

The standard Humax is a good PVR but with the CF and WebIF it becomes a great one!
You can schedule recordings from anywhere in the world, automatically edit out ad breaks, download from iplayer in the background, and much much more...
I probably can be persuaded yes, but i see little point unless I can connect the humax to the internet. I have two choices.

1. Try and connect my hootoo thing, which I haven't had any success doing.
2. Try and connect my spare router (Teltonika RUT 950)

Either of which would need to connect wirelessly to my existing huwaei B525.

Update 2.

Well, my allotted 30 seconds elapsed, as I knew it would. Armed with my new found confidence though and the help of a bunch of strangers on an internet forum, I allocated yet another 30 minutes to the cause.

Success. I connected the RUT955 to the huawei, and then to the Hummy. With a few teething problem, mainly due to low signal, the thing connected after I added the wifi aerials.

I hit the portal thingy, and it plays iplayer.

My next questions:-

1. Why didn't i need to sign in to iplayer?
2. Can I change the quality setting on iplayer as I do on my laptop device to stop it buffering?

Thank you

ETA, I read something that says it buffers iplayer to disk, but not sure if that related only to the custom firmware. I'm still trying to determine which custom firmware would be best for me.

Oh, The custom firmware download page says I have no access.Error 403

Last edited:
Oh, The custom firmware download page says I have no access.Error 403
Yes, we're a bit leaderless at the moment and there have been problems with downloads. Somebody will upload 3.13 for you (I'm not in a position to at the moment)...

I'm still trying to determine which custom firmware would be best for me.
There's really no question: 1.03.12/3.13. Then you'll have to install the iplfix package (to restore iPlayer functionality).

Read through Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click), particularly the configuration section.

Can I change the quality setting on iplayer as I do on my laptop device to stop it buffering?
Used to be able to, there was an on-screen settings cog (but I'm not au fait with the latest iPlayer). It should throttle back automatically. If you're stuck for bandwidth you can pause playback and it will continue buffering.

It's also possible to capture the whole programme from the buffer, or use qtube to download iPlayer (and other) streaming content for playback from your media menu (CF).

Why didn't i need to sign in to iplayer?
Did you expect to? This is a specific iPlayer access for dedicated set-top boxes, not your average Joe Bloggs web access.

Yes, we're a bit leaderless at the moment and there have been problems with downloads. Somebody will upload 3.13 for you (I'm not in a position to at the moment)...

There's really no question: 1.03.12/3.13. Then you'll have to install the iplfix package (to restore iPlayer functionality).

Read through Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click), particularly the configuration section.

Used to be able to, there was an on-screen settings cog (but I'm not au fait with the latest iPlayer). It should throttle back automatically. If you're stuck for bandwidth you can pause playback and it will continue buffering.

It's also possible to capture the whole programme from the buffer, or use qtube to download iPlayer (and other) streaming content for playback from your media menu (CF).

Did you expect to? This is a specific iPlayer access for dedicated set-top boxes, not your average Joe Bloggs web access.
Thank you.

Oh dear, I'm being dragged into hummy world. Hellllllp!!!!!!

It's beyond annoying.

In order not to waste any more of your precious time than necessary, I would recommend this:

Then you don't need to do the stuff that BH says with the iplfix package.

It is a Black Hole. You will never escape now.
Thankyou. What is it?

I downloaded it, but am reluctant to install it without knowing what I am installing.

What is it?

I downloaded it, but am reluctant to install it without knowing what I am installing.
It's the 1.03.12 release version of the Humax software, coupled with the latest official release of the Custom Firmware (i.e. mod3.13), coupled with the iPlayer fix which was extracted out of the 1.03.13 Humax release (what you have just installed!).
In other words, it gives you the best of all worlds with the minimum of effort.

It's the 1.03.12 release version of the Humax software, coupled with the latest official release of the Custom Firmware (i.e. mod3.13), coupled with the iPlayer fix which was extracted out of the 1.03.13 Humax release (what you have just installed!).
In other words, it gives you the best of all worlds with the minimum of effort.
That sounds exactly what I need. Thanks. So, I unzip it, stick it on the same thumb drive I used earlier, and install it the same way I did with 1.03.13?

I would read all the instructions myself, but i am far too lazy, only have 5 seconds left, and you guys are just sooooo super helpful.

It would be remiss of me not to offer you the chance to show how knowledgeable you all are.🙃

ETA. I now have a 23.3 MB file on my thumbdrive named hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf

Last edited:
Back