FoxT2 Hootoo connection

So, having successfully installed the custom firmware and had some successes over the last few week recording and removing adverts and playing over a network, I come cap in hand with a couple of queries.

1.When viewing the web interface on my computer for the hummy I often see a small banner at the top of the screen saying "Restart required, reboot now", which I generally ignore. Am I ok to ignore this, or will it have dire consequences if i do?

2. When setting up programs to record on my computer, via the web interface, some programs are shown as "pending actions", and never seem to get recorded. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks you

I often see a small banner at the top of the screen saying "Restart required, reboot now", which I generally ignore.
Why? Are you stupid? Or do you think you know better?
Am I ok to ignore this
Why would it say it if it was OK to ignore it?
2. When setting up programs to record on my computer, via the web interface, some programs are shown as "pending actions", and never seem to get recorded. What am I doing wrong?
You need to reboot. Or enable the Real-time scheduling option in the Advanced Settings section on the Settings page... and then reboot.

You need to reboot. Or enable the Real-time scheduling option in the Advanced Settings section on the Settings page... and then reboot.

Clearly I must be stupid. So, are you suggesting I must go into the web browser on my computer on a daily basis to see if there is a message to tell me to reboot the box? If so, then it is not fit for purpose.

I don't know. That is the question I am seeking an answer to. It looks like you have no idea either, so am not entirely sure why you bothered replying.

Ah, finally a useful response. Thank you.

So, having successfully installed the custom firmware and had some successes over the last few week recording and removing adverts and playing over a network, I come cap in hand with a couple of queries.

1.When viewing the web interface on my computer for the hummy I often see a small banner at the top of the screen saying "Restart required, reboot now", which I generally ignore. Am I ok to ignore this, or will it have dire consequences if i do?

Thanks you
The reason for the apparently rude response is you are pretty much admitting you never read anything for yourself and expect others to spoon-feed you. That never comes across well.

If you don't want to read the instructions you have two options: distrust the custom firmware and don't use it, or trust it and what it says to do. You asked for things to happen which required a reboot to implement, and were given on-screen instructions to do so, but you chose not to. You tell me: what would make it easier?

The reason for the apparently rude response is you are pretty much admitting you never read anything for yourself and expect others to spoon-feed you. That never comes across well.

If you don't want to read the instructions you have two options: distrust the custom firmware and don't use it, or trust it and what it says to do. You asked for things to happen which required a reboot to implement, and were given on-screen instructions to do so, but you chose not to. You tell me: what would make it easier?
Its a fair cop guv.

In my defence, I didn't associate the two things, and although I didn't read the instructions, you are right, The reboot thing is on a different screen and appears whether I have scheduled a recording or not.

Calling someone stupid for asking a question is not very helpful. Perhaps a better response would be not to.

The reboot thing is on a different screen and appears whether I have scheduled a recording or not.
No, I'm afraid you are wrong.
When you schedule a new recording in the browser that reboot message appears (within a second or two). It then persists until you do it.
In addition it is displayed in the heading section and is therefore present in all screens.

So you might schedule a film for example but then think "Have I got that already?". You can then go to the video section to see what is in there, and the reboot message will still be at the top. So having found you don't have that film you can initiate the reboot from that page - no need to go back to the schedule (unless you have more recordings to set up).

No, I'm afraid you are wrong.
When you schedule a new recording in the browser that reboot message appears (within a second or two). It then persists until you do it.
In addition it is displayed in the heading section and is therefore present in all screens.

So you might schedule a film for example but then think "Have I got that already?". You can then go to the video section to see what is in there, and the reboot message will still be at the top. So having found you don't have that film you can initiate the reboot from that page - no need to go back to the schedule (unless you have more recordings to set up).
Ah, ok. Thanks for the non condescending reply. That'll teach me for not reading the instructions huh.

Well, those guys have spent many unpaid hours writing and updating the software and instructions, so it's frustrating when people don't read them.
That's fair enough I suppose. However, the instructions are far too long for the average stupid person like myself to wade through, with numerous links. I am sure they are very complete and in depth, and I only have myself to blame for wanting a quick and easy answer rather than spending all day reading them.

Still, lesson learnt, I won't be asking any more questions, or making any more comments. The forum is perhaps best left to those who have read all the instructions and understood them in their entirety whilst us stupid people go and do something more worthwhile with our time.

eusa_wall.gif

However, the instructions are far too long for the average stupid person like myself to wade through
Stop bullsh!tting. The were FOUR words which said "Restart required, reboot now" and you said you chose to ignore them. You don't need to read anything else, you just need to act on what you are told. You still haven't explained your decision/reasoning to ignore the message.
Actually doing it instead of writing all the above would have been so much quicker.
If you act like a stupid person, don't be surprised when you are called out for it. (And I didn't call you stupid for asking a question, or even at all. I just asked whether you were, for the arrogant attitude in the "... which I generally ignore" comment. Don't try and twist things around now.)
Still, lesson learnt, I won't be asking any more questions, or making any more comments.
Ask a sensible question and (in general) you'll get a sensible reply. If you want to be a d!ck, then maybe don't bother posting any more.

Last edited:
Something offered at no cost and they expect to make no effort and receive personal support. Freeloaders, sheesh.

Blanket statement to the freeloaders out there: the HDR-FOX Custom Firmware and Packages (WebIF etc) is the result of 10 years (at present) enthusiast community input. It adds facilities to the HDR-FOX previously undreamed of, but has quirks imposed because of the trickiness of running our own software alongside the Humax software (eg the need to reboot occasionally according to what you want to do). It is not offered as a paid-for product, and carries no warranty of any kind. If you are not able to use the CF in the spirit intended, as an enthusiast willing to get their hands dirty (or at least make use of the extensive information made available at enormous cumulative effort on this forum and wiki), it is not for you.

If the facilities offered are so attractive that you wish to get involved... that's fine, BUT PUT IN SOME BLOODY EFFORT – WE ALREADY HAVE (far more than you can imagine), AND FOR NO FINANCIAL GAIN.

Personally I blame the forum non-members who have put up YouTube demonstrations of the CF. They were never involved in the development, have no right to be publicising it, and are simply riding on the coat tails of others for their own kudos.

Last edited:
I blame the forum non-members who have put up YouTube demonstrations of the CF. They were never involved in the development, have no right to be publicising it, and are simply riding on the coat tails of others for their own kudos.
Not only kudos, it's the money they get from YouTube. I was astounded when somebody told me how much they got a month for having something like 30000 subscribers.

Your post #94 should be at the top of each page of the HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised firmware forum.

whilst us stupid people go and do something more worthwhile with our time.
:rolling:

That's hilarious! Presumably there was something worthwhile about CF for you to have installed it in the first place, something you desired which could not be accomplished (a) with an un-hacked HDR-FOX and (b) without spending more money buying something else in the hope it will do what you want.

Do you, as a "stupid person" (your words not mine), believe you can purchase any item of technology and just muddle through? How many times have I seen drivers on the road at night with no rear lights, simply because they think they know how to drive, and never read the car's handbook to discover that Daytime Running Lights are only on the front (and are not legal after sunset anyway)! I don't believe there are stupid people. I do believe a diet of instant gratification on TV has made the general population lazy, with very limited attention spans. Ditch TV, read books.

If you cut out your indignation, you should at least have learned what the need is for reboots and that the message is not there to be ignored. The fact that you got away without rebooting before might be because the box rebooted anyway, in your normal course of events, before the critical point. You only noticed it when there wasn't an incidental reboot.

:rolling:

That's hilarious! Presumably there was something worthwhile about CF for you to have installed it in the first place, something you desired which could not be accomplished (a) with an un-hacked HDR-FOX and (b) without spending more money buying something else in the hope it will do what you want.

Do you, as a "stupid person" (your words not mine), believe you can purchase any item of technology and just muddle through? How many times have I seen drivers on the road at night with no rear lights, simply because they think they know how to drive, and never read the car's handbook to discover that Daytime Running Lights are only on the front (and are not legal after sunset anyway)! I don't believe there are stupid people. I do believe a diet of instant gratification on TV has made the general population lazy, with very limited attention spans. Ditch TV, read books.

If you cut out your indignation, you should at least have learned what the need is for reboots and that the message is not there to be ignored. The fact that you got away without rebooting before might be because the box rebooted anyway, in your normal course of events, before the critical point. You only noticed it when there wasn't an incidental reboot.
As a closing statement, I will reply to your first question. If you look at my original post, I was not looking to install any custom firmware, I was looking to do something entirely different. Indeed, the clue is in the very title of the thread. If you look to the top of the screen you will see it for yourself. I also said that I was not tech savvy, and would not be able to do complex firmware updates.

However, somehow, with the help of you kind people, I managed to stumble through it, albeit without reading the instructions.

Finally, as you seem to want to label me as a 'free loader', and seem to be suggesting that I have put in no effort, I will happily remove your precious 'no cost' software from my device.

Hummymummy signing off.

Back