Foxy - An HD recording backup utility for the HDR-Fox T2 now released !

Hi Raydon, please can you advise. I copied over all my content to an external USB drive, then had my faulty hdr fox t2 replaced. My wife copied all the sd and hd content back to the hdr then deleted all the files from the usb drive. I thought foxy may be able to allow me to be able to see all our recordings again. The recordings have lost the ENC flag, but still won't play. I still get the message that file is scrambled. Is there anything I can do? TIA
Allan

I copied over all my content to an external USB drive, then had my faulty hdr fox t2 replaced...[elided]...Is there anything I can do?

I'm afraid not. You should be ok with the SD recordings as they would have been decrypted the first time they were copied to the USB drive, but the HD files can't be decrypted now without the original hardware (which contains the unique encryption keys that were used when it was recorded)

think I know the answer..... The files have been encrypted on the old box with a unique key and I reckon the new box will not be able to handle them.... :(
Great utility btw - wish I'd found it before sending the box away for swap out!

I have asked this question elsewhere but I'll try again here. I would like to copy unencrypted HD files to a USB drive using Foxy. The Humax won't write to NTFS but will to FAT32 or Ext3. Fat32 has a 4GB limit and Ext3 is no use to me as I am running Windows 7 or is there way to get Ext3 to work on Windows 7 or do I need to install af123's custom firmware and send it over the network from the virtual drive? It seems an hour on the Humax in HD is about 4GB.

I have asked this question elsewhere but I'll try again here. I would like to copy unencrypted HD files to a USB drive using Foxy. The Humax won't write to NTFS but will to FAT32 or Ext3. Fat32 has a 4GB limit and Ext3 is no use to me as I am running Windows 7 or is there way to get Ext3 to work on Windows 7 or do I need to install af123's custom firmware and send it over the network from the virtual drive? It seems an hour on the Humax in HD is about 4GB.

If you use an EXT3 formatted drive then you can use FTP+Foxy to remove the FTA copy protection, and then copy from the Humax to the drive via the remote control, then FTP straight from the external drive to your PC. That's all possible with the standard firmware and may be your best option. There are ext3 tools for Windows but I don't have any experience of them.

How do I download Foxy? I tried the link in post 1 and hit "Download", but I got the stupid "your PC is infected" scam (which I killed immediately).

Foxy is hosted on 4shared which is a legitimate file sharing site. I've never had any problems with it. Obviously it is ad-supported so the download pages are splattered with adverts which you just need to see past to the link. It's odd that you saw something suspicious on there.

OK, well I'll take another system snapshot (my way of reversing any and all damage!) and try again. I will report back.

Very useful facility which worked well for me. Now however I find myself in the situation to have to use the Foxsat HDR. I know that raydon and others have done customised firmware but I don't seem to find the equivalent of this facility(unencrypting hd recordings). Am I not looking in the right place or it doesn't exist. If the latter, would it be something that raydon might look at in the future?
And btw what is the ultimate place to keep up with customised stuff for the foxsat. Sorry for the slightly offtopic.

There's no equivalent to Foxy for the Foxsat-hdr. The two machines have a different way of handling recordings requiring encryption by the broadcasters.

The foxsat-hdr only encrypts recordings that the broadcaster flags requires this. Other recordings are made in the clear. The Foxsat-hdr when operated in non-freesat mode will record the HD channels without encryption.

The HDR FOX T2 encrypts everything it records and remembers the encryption flag. On copying recordings to usb it checks the flag and if encryption is not required it decrypts on copying to usb.

Foxy works by fooling the box the recording does not require encryption. All it has to do is reset a flag in one of the two support files. So no code is required to decrypt the contents, the box does it all by itself :)

Your only hope is that someone figures out how to extract the unique encryption key and uses it to decrypt the content. This may well be legally dubious, there's a thread on this Forum about the decryption key.

Thanks for the answer.
I'm not trying to do anything dubious; not that you said I did. It's quite annoying that by using the server I can watch any SD recording on any of my computers on my network but not the HD ones. Then you'd think record HD stuff in SD at the same time but then dual tuner advantage lost. Not life and death situation though.

Thanks for the answer.
I'm not trying to do anything dubious; not that you said I did. It's quite annoying that by using the server I can watch any SD recording on any of my computers on my network but not the HD ones. Then you'd think record HD stuff in SD at the same time but then dual tuner advantage lost. Not life and death situation though.

As it happens I agree with you. DRM is a complete mess. Freesat and Freeview apply arbitary restrictions in a pathetic attempt to prevent piracy purely to satisfy the copyright restrictions of the programming source. All this does is inconvenience normal viewers who merely want to save the odd content for personal reasons, not to sell multiple copies down the car boot, or as in your case merely view it in a different location within your property. This makes no difference at all to the real pirates. Anyone with a free to air HD pvr ready satellite box can freely record and archive free to air HD material.

Imagine a doting parent who happened to record a moment of TV when a relation or friend is involved and would like to send a clip to friends and relations across the world. If you happen to record it from a freesat HD box you can't even extract a tiny bit. Record it in SD from any box with archiving it's simple to extract the bit you want. Pretty sure no one is going to worry about that.

Despite what Black Hole says, I don't think he/she understands what you want to do which is merely replay content you have recorded already on a different TV using a network rather than a long hdmi cable, rf SD link, video sender or cat5/6 balun solution (or whatever).

It's an Alice In Wonderland situation. Record HD using an advanced free to air networkeable satellite pvr, you can view it anywhere including the whole world using slingbox technology, Record it from a Freesat+ HD box from the same satellite, the same transponder, the same channel you have to view it in your living room :eek:

OK, I've had another go at downloading Foxy (link in the first post). IE brings up a file share site, and then the window goes blank and a message box pops up (the IE title bar is greyed out):

Message from webpage

Caution! Your computer contains a variety of suspicious programs.Your System requires immediate checking! The system will perform a fast and free check your PC for malicious programs.

The only option here is the OK button, which I am reluctant to do. I assume this is a scam. The only way I can find to make progress from this point is to use Task Manager to kill off IE.

Give me a clue guys.

OK, I've had another go at downloading Foxy (link in the first post). IE brings up a file share site, and then the window goes blank and a message box pops up (the IE title bar is greyed out):

The only option here is the OK button, which I am reluctant to do. I assume this is a scam. The only way I can find to make progress from this point is to use Task Manager to kill off IE.

Give me a clue guys.

Just make sure you close IE from the red cross button or your way.

Back