Freesat Detection fails

Lanarkian

I had an old Freesat HDR box in France which would not update after the movement of all the channels recently. Brought it back to the UK but still had an issue. Would not recognise postcode, tried a manual tune and still nothing. Did a factory reset and now cannot get anything. It is connected to the same satellite cable as the exact same model that has always been in the UK and updated automatically with the new channels. Any suggestions? Thx

I had an old Freesat HDR box in France which would not update after the movement of all the channels recently. Brought it back to the UK but still had an issue. Would not recognise postcode, tried a manual tune and still nothing. Did a factory reset and now cannot get anything. It is connected to the same satellite cable as the exact same model that has always been in the UK and updated automatically with the new channels. Any suggestions? Thx
An update. If I go through each transponder separately I get some channels but they are all standard definition and appear in the guide as 5000. So I have 5001 as ITV1, 5002 as ITV2 etc up to 5071 Sony Max 2 but strength is low and lots of tiling. I put my other Humax back on the satellite connection and am getting 100% on strength and quality but nothing on the problematic Humax.

Last edited:
It sounds like your problem box is set to Non-Freesat mode. I'd do another factory reset and go through the setup again. You also mention cable (singular) - if you do only have one cable, ensure, that it is plugged into the primary input. Also, the postcode input screen has been known to catch people out - after entering the code you must move the cursor to the button (I can't remember what it's labelled) and then click the ok button on the remote. One other possibility is that the ok button is not working on the remote - it's broken on mine! If you have a smartphone you can use the "Sure" app which works well.

A reported fix for this symptom over on myhumax is:
1. Open the box/take the lid off (power off, disconnect from mains first for safety). 3 screws at rear.
2. Disconnect the HDD cables from the motherboard, refit lid temporarily (no screws)
3. Power up and boot the HDR. It should run the wizard and hopefully take postcode input/tune all channels.
4. Power off/disconnect again, reconnect the HDD.
5 Power up to check it works, before powering off and refitting the lid properly with the screws.

Power supply capacitors is another possible fix.

NB Humax remotes can be dismantled and cleaned to fix button issues quite easily
Smart phones with IR blasters in them are not the 'norm' in my experience.

Back