Freeview muxes 55 & 56 - the future?

It might be a temporary replication of services into LCN 780+, they do that when a mux is moving to an out-of-band frequency so people get a chance to change aerials... but it seems pointless in this case.

Not sure what they mean by saying all the channels moving from COM8 will be available temporarily on 780. Makes no sense to me, they can't all have the same channel number!
It says "780 onward". Surely it's not that difficult to infer that that means they'll be on 780-791 or thereabouts?
And wouldn't BBC FOUR HD just stay on its existing LCN and move from COM8 to COM7?
Of course.
Pointless
It's not. It allows people a limited amount of time to retune without losing services. It's always done this way.

It allows people a limited amount of time to retune without losing services. It's always done this way.
I don't understand how that helps in this case. They'll need to rescan anyway, to pick up the 780+ versions, and that rescan could equally well acquire the moved version.

They'll need to rescan anyway, to pick up the 780+ versions ...
No they wont. They will already be picking up the 780+ versions but on the normal LCNs.

I don't understand how that helps in this case.
It helps because on the 22nd June the old version being recieved on the normal LCNs will tell them that they need to retune.
If the old version just stopped broadcasting their receiver would just say 'no signal' without giving a very obvious prompt concerning what action should be taken.

DVB-T2 gives more quantity, roughly 40 megabits per mux compared to 25 for DVB-T (varies with exact encoding, guard interval etc). DVB-T2 can give more quality (extra HD channels) and more quantity at the same time.

The issue is how many non DVB-T2 receivers the broadcasters think are still in use.

My thinking is masses in hotels, B&B, residential home etc etc. My suggestion has always been to leave one MUX as DVB-T to host the main channels: BBC1/2, ITV, C4 and C5.

My dad has age related hearing loss and has recently found that the HD channels are easier to hear than SD channels. So he won't be pleased if some of them disappear.

As to why he can hear them better, who knows? Higher bit rate audio, better codec, all could help. It is known that people with hearing loss are most likely to hear issues with lossy codecs, because the perceptual model the codecs use for what can be thrown away does not match the hearing of such people.

Not yet. Some of the channels, including FOUR HD, are moving to COM7, and one of shopping channels is moving to a main mux.
I'm sure there is space on BBC-B (41% [oops 26%, I misread the text] null packets according to digitalbitrate.com ) why don't the BBC move BBC 4HD there?

Last edited:
Code:
Changes between 22-25 June 2020

Ch No.  Channel Name      Change

55    5Star+1 ........... Closing
56    5USA+1 ............ Closing
64    FreeSport ......... Moving   
67    CBS Reality +1 .... Closing
69    CBS Justice+1 ..... Closing
71    CBS Drama ......... Moving       
74    Shopping Quarter .. Moving
83    Now 80's .......... Moving