Freeview Retune 29th/30th June 2022

Wallaby

I'm having issues with last week's Freeview retune down here in the southwest (Caradon Hill). If I retune my T2 I get most channels as one would expect. I have difficulties with ITV+1 and Great! Movies that should appear on EPG slots 34 and 35 (according to most info I can find). If I retune from scratch (including a factory reset) that is what I get and I can view both channels. At some point later Great! Movies disappears and ITV+1 takes its place on the epg and no amount of retuning or restoring can get it back (short of a factory reset). I also have a couple of T2000s and they do not experience this problem and the channels stay in place. Of course BBC4 HD has appeared but without any programming (what's that all about?) and CBS Justice appears but with no programming (closed now I believe) and CBS Drama appears on 794 but just showing an announcement saying I should retune my box. I understand that this channel has been renamed Reality Xtra but with limited availabity (no idea if or how I should receive this. What is going on? NB: I have Tunefix installed during the retune but I have just tried a restore from a file I created after my last factory reset with Tunefix removed but the channels did not return.

CBS Drama appears on 794 but just showing an announcement saying I should retune my box.
You can now ignore that message on 794 as you have retuned your box. After a retune that message gets moved to 794 from where it was before.
The message would have been more helpful if it stated to retune the box if you are seeing the message on a smaller channel number.

... At some point later Great! Movies disappears and ITV+1 takes its place on the epg a ... Tunefix removed but the channels did not return.
Are there some persistent channel forced renumbering on the tunefix settings page?

If you go into the tunefix settings what does the "Force channel(s) to specific number" section contain?

I expect your tunefix configuration is well out of date, and that you don't have tunefix-update installed (which would keep it up to date and negate the need for most retunes).
You need to review the configuration, or post it here for someone else to (cat /mod/boot/tunefix.conf from a command prompt is easiest).

Thank you for your replies. I did not realise Tunefix actually had user settings. When I searched for it in the WiKi I didn't find anything. I've found the erroneous entry and straightened out my channels. Everything appears to be as expected now.

NB: I have Tunefix installed during the retune but I have just tried a restore from a file I created after my last factory reset with Tunefix removed but the channels did not return.
I have just tried a restore from a file I created after my last factory reset with Tunefix removed
What does that mean? A restore of what?

I did not realise Tunefix actually had user settings.
So how would you set it up to do what you wanted... how would it know?!!

WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for tunefix package.

When I searched this forum for information on Tunefix I found this:

"This is a very simple package designed to remove the need to retune to move channels on to their correct LCNs or to delete them. It does not however support new channel additions (it does now!).
The Freeview authorities seem to change things around with increasing regularity, so if you want to stay (reasonably!) current, this might be the package for you.
It relies on having tunefix installed and will install it if necessary.

It creates a channel update file on installation, which is acted upon on the next run of tunefix at the next reboot, and is then deleted... until the next time a package update is released when the process will repeat.

There is nothing to configure, nothing to run and no user interface. You should just see the results in your channel numbering."

I had assumed from this that there was no user control of what Tunefix does but I guess that statement was out of date.

I use Backup/Restore (available under "Scheduled Events") to keep my individual Favourites lists and my recording schedule when conducting a retune. I was restoring from a backup I made after I had conducted a Factory Reset and Retune.

"This is a very simple package designed to remove the need to retune to move channels on to their correct LCNs or to delete them. It does not however support new channel additions (it does now!).
The Freeview authorities seem to change things around with increasing regularity, so if you want to stay (reasonably!) current, this might be the package for you.
It relies on having tunefix installed and will install it if necessary.

It creates a channel update file on installation, which is acted upon on the next run of tunefix at the next reboot, and is then deleted... until the next time a package update is released when the process will repeat.

There is nothing to configure, nothing to run and no user interface. You should just see the results in your channel numbering."
Those are the details of the tunefix-update package, not tunefix. Here's what my Custom Firmware introductory guide has to say about them:
tunefix

Retunes can be complex, particularly if in an area served by multiple transmitters (see Things Every... click, section 2). Even if in a single transmitter area, there are usually a large number of services that you are not interested in to be deleted (if you leave them, they clutter the EPG and services list unnecessarily). tunefix is configurable with a page accessed via Settings, and once set up to your liking will automatically remove transmitters and services following a retune (requires a reboot after the retune).
tunefix-update

Bypasses the need to retune the HD-FOX/HDR-FOX by making appropriate modifications to the tuning data when required (instead of starting from scratch like a retune). This avoids the annoyances of retunes. To be effective, your tuning data needs to be up-to-date so that the package can start from a clean baseline. tunefix-update receives tuning updates in the form of package updates, which it does independently of the auto-update package. Use in combination with disable-dso for best benefit.​

I use Backup/Restore (available under "Scheduled Events") to keep my individual Favourites lists and my recording schedule when conducting a retune. I was restoring from a backup I made after I had conducted a Factory Reset and Retune.
That is nothing to do with tuned services. It only backs up the favourites lists and the recording schedule. The restore operation attempts to recreate the schedule but can only do if a matching tuned service is present. Once a service is removed from the tuning database (whether manually or via tunefix), it's gone until you retune again... except there is a way to backup and restore databases to USB using the Hidden Service Menu (not always successful).

When I searched this forum for information on Tunefix I found this:

"...

I had assumed from this that there was no user control of what Tunefix does but I guess that statement was out of date.
Tunefix had always had a settings option, and as Black Hole explained Tunefix-Update isn't the same as Tunefix.
But what matters now is that you have as little future issues as is practical.

Like PRPR I also thought that part of your issue was aggravated by using a very old version of Tunefix.
What does the package management WebIf pages state is your version of Tunefix?
The latest version is 2.0.8.

I've found the erroneous entry and straightened out my channels. Everything appears to be as expected now.
Great!
Was the erroneous entry was in "Force channel(s) to specific number"?
Tunefix doesn't complete any of those entries for you, and the later versions of Tunefix makes it harder to put one in by accident.

I also thought that part of your issue was aggravated by using a very old version of Tunefix.
It's not that. It's that the configuration isn't kept up to date when the broadcast channels change. If you're not going to install tunefix-update then you need to update the tunefix configuration manually every time you initiate a Manual (or Automatic) retune. If you don't, you end up with the mess the OP found himself in. This is why it's good to install tunefix-update.
Was the erroneous entry in "Force channel(s) to specific number"?
Yes.
Tunefix doesn't complete any of those entries for you
It does, on initial install.
and the later versions of Tunefix makes it harder to put one in by accident.
Not sure what that means.

From RXTVInfo and EPG BBC Four HD returns soon, but no-one seems to know when. Why is this such a secret? (Not completely off-topic, as an answer to the question would determine whether to move BBC4SD into the HD favourites list for however long soon is).

Back