Freeze/Crash while chase playing

Steppy

I have a 1TB unit which has been faultless since new (over two years now) but recently I have noticed the odd click coming from the drive. No paticular pattern, quite random. I have heard about clicking 1TB drives on other threads.

I have ignored it up to now, but recently if I am recording a program and either FFW chase play that recording or FFW a previous recording the clicks are more prevalent. I have now experience my second complete lock up where the whole box stops responding and it appears the drive has frozen.

The first time it happend it was a total lock up and putting my ear to it and I could only hear a faint noise, I dont think the drive had stopped spinning, but it sounded much quieter than usual. The only way I could get it working again was to switch off at the back, wait a few seconds then try again. After that it was all fine.

Similar thing happened last night while FFW the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony as it was recording (also recording another channel). This time when it started clicking I paused my FFW. After that the box was completely locked up with the display showing 'Pause'. I decided to leave it and and after about 5 mins it unlocked it self, but the recording light went out.

I went into Media and both my recordings were there but broken (as expected), but low and behold after a few seconds the commonwealth games started recording again.

I know FFW whilst chase playing and having another recording going is asking a lot, but I have always done this before without any issue and do the same with my old Toppy which is donkeys years old and again without issue.

Is my HDD on the way out? I am running complete standard firmware.

Thanks.

Is my HDD on the way out? I am running complete standard firmware.

Possibly, or it may just need some sectors remapping. The only way to tell is to install the custom firmware or physically remove the drive and connect to a PC.

Possibly, or it may just need some sectors remapping. The only way to tell is to install the custom firmware or physically remove the drive and connect to a PC.

OK, thanks for that. I will have a go at installing the custom firmware at the weekend.

I installed the custom firmware (Cust FW 3.00 1.02.32) last night which went well, as did the install of Webif, plus a couple of packages.

Installed PuTTY on a spare laptop and managed to get the box into maintenance mode ok, but once it was in that I couldn't log back into PuTTY again to do the disk scan. It just seemed to time out, so I think I need to do a bit of reading. I followed some other instructions on accessing it from my Mac via Terminal, but had the same results. The only way to get the box working again was to switich off at the back.

Just had a thought. I access my Humax by wireless, maybe that can't be accessed in maintenance mode?

Am I missing something obvious?

Looks like I have answered my own question, just found this on the Wiki

"Maintenance Mode Notes
While in Maintenance Mode Only Telnet is functional, The following Notes are Valid for the HDR-Fox T2:-
  • Wi-Fi may not be supported in Maintenance mode, If it is not possible to telnet into the Maintenance mode use a wired LAN"
Looks like I will need to plug it in directly to my router and see if that works.

Interesting use of capitalisation in that quote.

There is some debate about this, some users claim to have an active WiFi link in maintenance mode (I don't use WiFi so I can't comment).

Forgive me, but just you saying so doesn't make it fact. Does anyone else substantiate it? Was it a fluke? Why does it work in your situation but not work elsewhere?

Forgive me, but just you saying so doesn't make it fact.
Er, yes, it does actually.
Your use of the word "claim" automatically casts doubt. This is rather rich, considering you are spouting YET AGAIN from a position of zero knowledge, by your own admission. Why can't you just shut up when you don't know?
Why does it work in your situation but not work elsewhere?
How the hell do I know? It doesn't "not work" for me.

I've had it fail in maintainance mode for me in the past. It seems like it just fails to bring the wifi up. Might be just timing out in certain scenarios or something.

You could try re-applying the wifi settings first before entering maintainance mode, see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back