Frozen on last channel

Jeff Friend

When switching power on shows Humax screen and boots as normal, last used channel comes up with channel bar and plays on the TV fine but no response via the remote or with any of the buttons on the front of the unit even the on/off button. Similar problem previously on forum 20 Dec 2012 but no remedy only a replacement box. Is there a fix as my unit is out of warranty?

Does the PVR light on the remote control flash when you press a button?
Yes remote seems normal, as I say, suspect problem within box as manual buttons on front of box don't function, an when plugged into mains goes into the boot sequence then to BBC2 HD and nothing will change either manually or with the remote, (cannot call up menu,media , prog guide etc).

Cannot do, box buttons and remote do not function.

Jeff, you may still be able to re-flash its firmware and see if that cures the problem. It's a long shot, though.

In your first post you say "When switching on". How do you do that with no working buttons? Do you mean via the mains? Or possibly the switch on the rear? I can't remember if you need the standby button working at least to flash the firmware or whether off and on at the mains is sufficient.

Jeff, you may still be able to re-flash its firmware and see if that cures the problem. It's a long shot, though.

In your first post you say "When switching on". How do you do that with no working buttons? Do you mean via the mains? Or possibly the switch on the rear?
Yes restoring the mains, sorry not up with the tech terms, how do I "reflash the firmware" ?

Yes restoring the mains, sorry not up with the tech terms, how do I "reflash the firmware" ?
Go into the sub-forum and follow the instructions there. You will need to download the customised software onto a USB stick. You plug it into the hdr and then restart it but I have a feeling you have to hold the standby button down so I don't think it is going to work.

It sounds like the physical connection between the front panel and motherboard has come loose. Are you up to opening the box and having a look? Strange it should happen twice to you!

Maybe there's an IR source in the room swamping the receiver? Could also confuse the physical button scanning??

If none of the physical buttons function first thing to try is switch off the mains for 30 mins or so using the power switch at the rear of the unit. If that doesn't work, open the box and disconnect the hard drive (assuming it's out of warranty). If the box now boots it's a hard drive issue.

If they do there are cases where the remote has switched the operating channel. See the faqs about using more than one Humax box in the same room.

If none of the physical buttons function first thing to try is switch off the mains for 30 mins or so using the power switch at the rear of the unit. If that doesn't work, open the box and disconnect the hard drive (assuming it's out of warranty). If the box now boots it's a hard drive issue.

If they do there are cases where the remote has switched the operating channel. See the faqs about using more than one Humax box in the same room.
Thanks Graham,I will give it a try and let you know later

I have disconnected the hard drive and it now boots up and responds to the remote normally.I have taken the opportunity to do a factory reset.If I need to renew the HD are they available and what can I expect to have to pay? Since drafting this reply I have re connected the drive and every thing now appears to fine! I am indebted to you for your help. Thanks again.

This has just happened to me this morning and its stuck on CBS Action Channel, picture and sound fine but as in previous reports nothing else works and I have 250 hours of recording to view!! Never opened a box in my life and don't really fancy starting now in case I lose one remaining channel. Any other suggestions??

I have disconnected the hard drive and it now boots up and responds to the remote normally.I have taken the opportunity to do a factory reset.If I need to renew the HD are they available and what can I expect to have to pay? Since drafting this reply I have re connected the drive and every thing now appears to fine! I am indebted to you for your help. Thanks again.

You could expect to pay maybe £70 for a 1Tb drive. Replacement is a screwdriver job, but make sure you are earthed. I find the best way is to leave the box plugged in but, off at the mains. That way, the chassis will be earthed and you can earth yourself by touching it. (Assuming the earth on the plug is connected.) Otherwise, a nearby radiator will help!

You could expect to pay maybe £70 for a 1Tb drive. Replacement is a screwdriver job, but make sure you are earthed. I find the best way is to leave the box plugged in but, off at the mains. That way, the chassis will be earthed and you can earth yourself by touching it. (Assuming the earth on the plug is connected.) Otherwise, a nearby radiator will help!

Thanks.That is worth knowing. I didnt realise that a larger one could be used. Next time I may change it but just now everything is going well.

Needing to be earthed is a fallacy. What you need is to be at the same potential as what you are working on.

Back