FTTP madness

MikeSh

For the last year or so they've been digging up the roads and pavements round our town to lay ducts for fibre and indeed pull fibre cable in in places. Our estate is one of the newer ones in the area with the phone lines ducted, so they just put some extra pits in near the BT ones and run most of the cabling in the BT ducting, so we haven't been dug up much.

Older estates are less lucky having (I presume) buried phone lines and have been extensively trenched, one being next door to ours. Today I was walking up there and found them digging it up again. I'd noticed a fresh batch of paint marks recently so I stopped to chat with them. Apparently the ducting put in already is for Virgin and now they are installing a complete new set of ducts (to each house) for another supplier (he thought it was Giganet).

I had a serious Victor Meldrew monument. Complete madness.

The various providers seem to be cabling up separately here as well, although not to the door.
There's a single carriageway busy main road passing my doctor's surgery that has been partially blocked and dug up for this twice (maybe 3 x) causing bus diversions and general traffic chaos. Outside my flat we've been dug up twice and BT have also hung fibre on the telephone poles. Enough already!

So it's a national clock-up then.

The various providers seem to be cabling up separately here as well, although not to the door.
Ours are running to the edge of the property - separately. Presumably when someone wants fibre they'll then dig the garden up from the appropriate duct end to the house. (And most of the ones I've seen are several feet apart so the homeowner can't really install one duct to serve either supplier should they change in future. Could be deliberate I guess.)

BT have also hung fibre on the telephone poles. Enough already!
Yes in the pole areas the contractor has been installing up the poles though I don't know who the operator is. And in one place at least there are overhead served houses which have had underground ducts installed, but only in part of the road. It's all very mad.

When my road was done some time ago the fibre was laid about a month after they had dug it up for new gas pipes which was done not long after they had dug it up for new water pipes all of this was done just after they had resurfaced the road and pavements. There are so many patches now you could play chess on the road and pavement.

Didn't some government come up with an idea of coordinated road works so they only dig once? That went well, didn't it? And as for filling the holes created properly and fines if the work overruns :rolling:.

What about co-ordinated road diversions? Round here is where HS2 crosses EWR and is has happened that each has set up diversions that direct traffic into the other's road closure! 😡

Back