FVP-4000T cannot turn on or off at times

Another thing worth trying is to unplug, then reinsert one of the plugs on the HDMI cable, this will start another HDMI handshake, and is probably better than repeatedly disconnecting the power supply.

I have tried this a few times but it didn't make any difference, but thanks.

I now have found the best bet is to leave the TV on standby (not something I've ever done - old school), and the 4000T on standby

I select a channel on the TV to get it up and running (then wait about 10 seconds) select HDMI1 source (then wait about 10 seconds). IF nothing is displayed I assume no recording is active so I press the 4000T power/standby button on the remote, the LED turns blue and I get the current programme display. IF a recording is active then the led stays red (of course) and I get the current programme display.

This is ok about 90% of the time.

But now I have a different problem, presumably not linked. The 4000T decides to reboot itself from time to time, either whilst we are watching a recording after which we have to go in a re-start any recordings, or whilst we are out when we see the effect by having recordings that were cut off.

It's infuriating. But I have to say that I'd rather have a 4000T than not have a 4000T if you see what I mean. When it works it's brilliant and better than any other PVR I've got, or had, or read about. Having a smart TV with Freeview Play and the ability to watch catch-up on many channels softens the blow (especially now I have unlimited broadband)

I too have had similar problems, including various others and been in contact with Humax Tech Support Team since I first bought the machine in Jan 2016. Their first response was to await the next Firmware update that they said would solve my issues, so March came and went and for a while all appeared to be resolved. Then the Humax started to shut down unexpectedly and go into reset mode. I eventually learnt that by powering down and doing a reset when in this state it was possible to get normal operation. So I battled on, however, since the latest update dated 06/09/16 we find the the frequency and severity of problems has increased. Sometimes when starting it repeatedly turns its self off, or presents a purple screen, occasionally fails to record complete programs and has become completely impossible to control. Resets make little or no difference. These issues each time have been reported to John Lewis Tech Staff, who repeatedly refer me back to Humax Support Team saying they won't take back my machine until Humax say so. However, Humax keep promising to issue new FirmWare updates, its now at least 3 times since Sept and today they promise its due to be released on 21/11/16. I've followed advice and changed the HDMI cables, swapped Ports and turned 'on and off 'HDMI/CEC auto start function and tried every 'fix' short of 'throwing it out of the window'. Occasionally we've completely lost previously stored programs, only to find them re-appear in the Program List the next time the machine's turned on. Finally sometimes, it will not respond at all whilst recording a scheduled program. In short its become a 'nightmare' as you never know whether its going work or not. Today Humax have promised to send me a Beta FM update directly to my Email, so having waited several hours in vain for it to arrive, I've lost confidence in it and finally resolved to taking it back to the John Lewis store where it came from regardless of what they say.

Last edited:
I don't get why Humax have not included a three colour led to clearly show the state of the box, especially since it takes at least a minute for it to burst into life leaving you scratching your head wondering whether you've switched it on, only to press again and switch it back off. I've got used to hearing the sound of the hdd spin up about 10 seconds in.

For what's it's worth, I use the CEC setting on the 4000 and my TV and they both power up and down in tandem from the power button on the remote which works fine once I got used to TV remote being totally dead during this mode (Only springs back to life when I change source to play my PlayStation).

I'm pretty confident that the switching on off problem is connected to the CEC CONTROL on the 4000 and I would say it's definitely worth making sure your tv is not set to use CEC and do not use HDMI1 socket on your tv

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

I don't get why Humax have not included a three colour led to clearly show the state of the box, especially since it takes at least a minute for it to burst into life leaving you scratching your head wondering whether you've switched it on, only to press again and switch it back off. I've got used to hearing the sound of the hdd spin up about 10 seconds in.

For what's it's worth, I use the CEC setting on the 4000 and my TV and they both power up and down in tandem from the power button on the remote which works fine once I got used to TV remote being totally dead during this mode (Only springs back to life when I change source to play my PlayStation).

I'm pretty confident that the switching on off problem is connected to the CEC CONTROL on the 4000 and I would say it's definitely worth making sure your tv is not set to use CEC and do not use HDMI1 socket on your tv

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. And agree its not easy see the LED's unless you're looking directly at the unit. I'm currently using HDMI2 with CEC is turned off. Yesterday the unit reported lost/weak signal a few times although input remained unchanged and now today unit continues to turn itself immediately off and when convinced to stay on after several attempts now completely fails to detect signal. Aerial input checked and signal tested and confirmed as working OK, so I'm assuming its now finally 'given up the ghost' and I've decided I'm taking it back to John Lewis. After 9 months of enduring Humax 'tantrums' enough is enough.

It may be a bit premature to say it but it looks as if Humax may have fixed the problem at last with their latest upgrade. Since the new download I have had no shutdowns or lock-ups.
A loud hurray may be called for !!!

Just an update :

I now have found the best bet is to leave the TV on standby (not something I've ever done - old school), and the 4000T on standby

4000T now connected to HDMI2 (following a previous suggestion)

I select a channel on the TV to get it up and running, black/blank screen (which is good) shows HDMI2 selected. Pressing the 4000T power/standby button on the remote, the LED turns blue and I get the current programme display. IF a recording is active then the led stays red (of course) and I get the current programme display.

This is now ok about 99% of the time.

I do lose recording schedule listing now and again. Recordings still happen so it is simply a display issue, however I have to reboot the 4000T in order to get this listing back again.

Back