FVP 4000T & DLNA server

mwillett

I'm trying to use the DLNA server on the FVP-4000T but not having much success.

I can see the Humax DLNA server from all my devices (Android, ipad and PC) but haven't been able to play much. All programs just say "Can't play video"

Am I doing something wrong ? Are there some settings I'm missing ?

Thanks

Was the content on the 4000T recorded on it? or are they files from elsewhere?, files recorded on the 4000T should fall into two main groups, i.e. Standard Def. and High Def. and I wouild expect them all to either play or not play as they are all in one of two formats. As far as android players go, try MediaHouse, that seems to cope with most formats, for the P.C. try Splash Lite or Potplayer

Thanks.

All the media was recorded on the Humax and mostly its standard def.

I've tried MediaHouse and its not able to browse the humax which is odd since it can browse my other dlna server. Does it seem likely the Humax is faulty. I've tried restarting the DLNA server on the humax just in case but it didnt help.

I've recorded a couple of more programmes and have got some to work.
It seems everything on BBC1 wont play through DLNA. I've checked and they dont show up as HD.

It very odd. Does BBC use a different codec or something?

I don't think it is different coding, but it has been noted recently on this forum that the BBC are tagging some (not all) standard Definition programmes as if they were High Def., this stops them being copied etc. so maybe the 4000T is seeing this false HD flag and is treating it in the same way. There is a thread in the HDR-Fox T2 section HERE, discussing the BBC adding an 'ENCode' flag to certain Standard Def. programmes. This is a list of current programmes from the EPG that will be treated as High Def.

BBC TWO|Leave to Remain|2016-03-04 23:35:00
BBC TWO|The Quatermass Xperiment|2016-03-05 07:15:00
BBC TWO|Notorious|2016-03-05 14:05:00
BBC ONE W Mid|The Recruit|2016-03-05 23:50:00
BBC TWO|Lebanon|2016-03-06 01:30:00
BBC FOUR|The German Doctor|2016-03-06 21:00:00
BBC TWO|Shifty|2016-03-06 23:40:00
BBC ONE W Mid|Forget Me Not|2016-03-08 23:45:00
BBC ONE W Mid|Confessions of a Shopaholic|2016-03-09 23:45:00

I would think if you try to record BBC News it will work, but it won't work with any of the above

Last edited:
At least the users in my link own a 4000T, had you not noticed that the conversation has moved on since then?

I don't think it is different coding, but it has been noted recently on this forum that the BBC are tagging some (not all) standard Definition programmes as if they were High Def., this stops them being copied etc. so maybe the 4000T is seeing this false HD flag and is treating it in the same way. There is a thread in the HDR-Fox T2 section HERE, discussing the BBC adding an 'ENCode' flag to certain Standard Def. programmes. This is a list of current programmes from the EPG that will be treated as High Def.

BBC TWO|Leave to Remain|2016-03-04 23:35:00
BBC TWO|The Quatermass Xperiment|2016-03-05 07:15:00
BBC TWO|Notorious|2016-03-05 14:05:00
BBC ONE W Mid|The Recruit|2016-03-05 23:50:00
BBC TWO|Lebanon|2016-03-06 01:30:00
BBC FOUR|The German Doctor|2016-03-06 21:00:00
BBC TWO|Shifty|2016-03-06 23:40:00
BBC ONE W Mid|Forget Me Not|2016-03-08 23:45:00
BBC ONE W Mid|Confessions of a Shopaholic|2016-03-09 23:45:00

I would think if you try to record BBC News it will work, but it won't work with any of the above
Thanks - that would certainly fit with the problem.

I've copied the files across via ftp to a linux server - will try handbrake and ffmpeg and see what I can do with them.

You won't be able to do anything at all by FTP - all files are encrypted on disk. If the hypothesis is correct, what you need to do is FTP across the .hmt flag file and tweak it so that the 4000T will then think the recording is a normal StDef file. There is information about doing that in the HDR-2000T section of the forum, but I can't guarantee the details will be the same. All you can do is try it and hope.

There has been some discussion HERE and HERE, that the BBC should not be tagging these Standard Definition programmes in this way, I'm not sure if anyone has asked them why they are doing it

The OP should write to BBC and OFCOM to complain that by restricting the ability to access SD recording the BBC are violating their 2010 commitments to OFCOM

However, we note that the BBC and the other PSB broadcasters have recognised consumer concerns and have set out a number of significant commitments towards protecting consumers' fair dealing of HD content. These include:
* That no content management restrictions will be placed on standard definition content delivered on the Freeview platform;

See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/content_mngt/statement/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/freeview_hd_copy_protection_up.html

I have been communicating with Humax about the issue - they've spent a lot of time asking the same questions.
I've reset the device - but no success.

I've noticed when using a DLNA client - it shows the file types - All file types are MPEG except for a few on BBC1 which are listed as "Unknown".

and now they are suggesting I reformat the hard disk .
Obviously this will not fix the problem - unless anyone thinks differently - but if it gets them to actually look at the issue then
it will be worth it.

Does anyone have any idea on what I can show to Humax so they can identify the issue rather than going through the Level 1 support steps
which usually go nowhere.

I don't understand why you are bothering with Humax - it's not their problem, and there's nothing they can do about it. The problem is that the BBC are setting the protection flag when they shouldn't be.

Back