FVP-4000T/GB/1TB.

Woodhallian

When watching 'live' TV via my Humax FVP-4000T the displayed picture
has started to freeze - for half a second or so - at quite frequent intervals.
The audio does not seem to be affected and dialogue continues normally
whilst the screen is frozen. It seems to be happening on all channels.

As a check we have watched and recorded a programme simultaneously.
There were continual freezes on the live TV but there are none on the
recording playback.

Bypassing the Humax and watching the TV on direct aerial input there
are no freezes.

Up until a couple of days ago there was no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

1. Power cycle it (at the mains); if that doesn't help...
  2. Find the "factory default" menu option and execute it.

1. Power cycle it (at the mains); if that doesn't help...
  2. Find the "factory default" menu option and execute it.
Thanks for your reply.

I have already tried the 'Mains cycle' to no effect. I shall
try the factory default reset tomorrow.

Many thanks.

Perhaps it is worth pointing out that you mention that this started a couple of days ago.
Could it be that the current weather and high pressure are contributing to the problem?

If you have no problems with Humax playback, and none with your TV, perhaps you could wait until the pressure reduces and see if live TV on the Humax returns to normal.

I can't see how that would affect the video but not the audio.
Neither can I regarding the weather, but the reason for suggesting Woodhallian waits for the pressure to reduce is that re-scanning now (during high pressure) might complicate matters. If he can wait until the pressure reduces we can see whether the weather is the problem. :confused:

My 2000T has had a similar problem to that described by Woodhallian, but only on COM7. I had a problem where watching "live" the video stopped but audio continued. Playing back, the video pixelated and the audio was okay. (Re-jigging my cables solved this - for now).

Neither can I regarding the weather, but the reason for suggesting Woodhallian waits for the pressure to reduce is that re-scanning now (during high pressure) might complicate matters. If he can wait until the pressure reduces we can see whether the weather is the problem. :confused:
True.

Black Hole & EEPhil, thanks for the replies. It might be worth while waiting till the weather changes
rather than doing anything drastic. I might try a retune later. Looking at Black Hole's comment, are the audio
and picture broadcast as a single data stream or two. (I wonder because my TV has the facility for adjusting
the audio to sync with lip movement on the screen.)

It may be signal strength fluctuation, if the TV is more sensitive than the Humax might this cause a problem,
if the variation is seen by the Humax but not by the TV.

I note however that the picture just freezes whereas on 'live' TV if there is a signal strength problem there is
marked pixellation.

So, for the moment, we will wait and ponder and I will come back when the weather has changed.

They are streams within a TS container within however the multiple services are multiplexed into the overall data transport on the channel carrier. The simple answer to your question is that video and audio is delivered to your box in one overall package, and there's nothing in the transmission path that could treat them separately. Any kind of interference or manipulation after the data leaves the encoders at the broadcaster's end and before it gets to the decoders at the receiver's end will corrupt the entire data stream (video and audio over all the services on that multiplex).

Lip sync is applied specifically to the audio stream after it has been demultiplexed.

Any kind of interference or manipulation after the data leaves the encoders at the broadcaster's end and before it gets to the decoders at the receiver's end will corrupt the entire data stream (video and audio over all the services on that multiplex).

Hm, in that case it would appear that the problem is post-receiver? Direct transmission to the TV
is not affected. Transmissions to/through the Humax are affected. Video stream is affected, audio
is not affected. Video and audio decoders are, I believe, separate. Things to think about - after the
weather cools down - my brain hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, in that case it would appear that the problem is post-receiver? Direct transmission to the TV is not affected. Transmissions to/through the Humax are affected.
Is the TV fed by patch lead from the box 'feed through' or a via a splitter and a separate cable. Have you tried 'waggling' the HDMI lead and separating it as much as possible from the aerial connections?
If fed via the box feed through, you could try a passive 2 way splitter and have separate feed cables for the box and the TV.

Our TV and Humax are fed from a two output signal amplifier as we live in a weak signal area.
At the moment I am only using one output from the signal amp to the Humax RF IN port.

Currently the TV is fed by a patch lead from the Humax feedthrough (RF OUT).

I have separated the aerial patch lead and the HDMI lead as far as possible.

I need to get/make up a co-ax male to male lead then I can feed the TV directly from the
second output from the signal amp unit.

Will not do anything today as the current temp shows in the mid thirties Centigrade.

They are streams within a TS container within however the multiple services are multiplexed into the overall data transport on the channel carrier. The simple answer to your question is that video and audio is delivered to your box in one overall package, and there's nothing in the transmission path that could treat them separately. Any kind of interference or manipulation after the data leaves the encoders at the broadcaster's end and before it gets to the decoders at the receiver's end will corrupt the entire data stream.
I don't disagree with a word of that. (And I'm sure you can see what's coming...) But, how come I can listen to BBC local radio from a distant W Midlands transmitter with hardly any interference (on a 9150T) . If I try and watch the BBC 1 local news it can be very blocky. [You may take this as a rhetorical question]

Hm! Lead made up and connected splitter to TV. Patch lead from Humax disconnected.

Running on Humax for five minutes with no glitches so far - long may it last.

I will report back on longer term performance.

Thanks guys!

Did the temperature suddenly drop then?:eek:
Not round here it didn't. Of course some pillock (me!) didn't check to see whether there has been any tropospheric ducting in the last few days. Now that I have, it seems unlikely.
Result (hopefully):D
How changing the aerial cable from the Humax to the TV has cured the problem, I don't know. Perhaps it was your suggestion to jer..jer..jiggle the cables. I know my cables respond to that.

I don't disagree with a word of that. (And I'm sure you can see what's coming...) But, how come I can listen to BBC local radio from a distant W Midlands transmitter with hardly any interference (on a 9150T) . If I try and watch the BBC 1 local news it can be very blocky. [You may take this as a rhetorical question]
All I can think of off-hand is if the error correction is more robust for the audio stream than the video stream, but I suspect it is working on the overall multiplex data rather than individual services or streams.

All I can think of off-hand is if the error correction is more robust for the audio stream than the video stream, but I suspect it is working on the overall multiplex data rather than individual services or streams.
The latter.

Not round here it didn't. Of course some pillock (me!) didn't check to see whether there has been any tropospheric ducting in the last few days. Now that I have, it seems unlikely.

How changing the aerial cable from the Humax to the TV has cured the problem, I don't know. Perhaps it was your suggestion to jer..jer..jiggle the cables. I know my cables respond to that.

Moving the HDMI and co-ax cables apart and unplugging and replugging them made no difference. Unplugged the co-ax from the Humax, unplugged it from the TV, plugged new lead from aerial splitter/amp to TV - so far still no glitches. I don't believe it will last, things are seldom that easy.

Back