FVP-4000T my 2 Cents

As the OP is ignoring me, I add this just for the record.
"There are 41 keys". Actually, there are 43, it's just that Vol+ and Vol- are on a single rocker switch. Ditto Ch+ and Ch- :rolleyes:.
"MOST KEYS DO NOTHING, MOST OF THE TIME" - 0,1-9 should work most of the time when not playing back. Rather meaningless in a playback. This is likely to be the same with any box*. Sub and AD should work all the time - depends on the broadcaster, not Humax. (*). On/Off, Vol+, Vol-, mute should work all the time. (*) .
And with post #94 I though the OP actually found something to like about the box.

BH post #99: Agree!
Unless you have a programmable replacement remote control that can handle macros, or want to program something to deal with the network interface to the remote control functions you'll have to accept this as a thing "that cannot be changed".

I very much doubt all others do.

I've had quite a few and they allllllllllll have keyboard shortcuts

And there are cost implications which are important for budget devices..

A Little logic costs zero and as an ex amateur programmer it's a totally nothing job

Firstly someone has to design/specify the actions, and one person's intuitive is another's WTF..

Using the PLAY button to "play" a recording doesn't get more intuitive

Then a programmer has to code the actions..

It's a single line IF statement

Nope I'm afraid there's not a single excuse. In fact it's just plain sloppy design over sight

To anyone who isn't ignoring me...
  1. A Little logic costs zero and as an ex amateur programmer it's a totally nothing job
  2. It's a single line IF statement
  3. Nope I'm afraid there's not a single excuse. In fact it's just plain sloppy design over sight
  4. Using the PLAY button to "play" a recording doesn't get more intuitive
1. As someone who has programmed professionally - this comment explains a lot.
2. Yes, in amongst other if statements (or a switch). Consequences? If I crap out of a loop (interpreting a keypress) at this point, does it stop something else happening. But is "if" the best route? Should it be an "action" to a keypress? Do I have to write another action listener? Could the keypress be part of a sequence...etc.
3. Ok. You design and program something better.
4. Bloody hell! Something I agree with! :D

An ex-amateur programmer isn't constrained by management imposition of deadlines. Amateurs have no conception of the pressures of doing it for a living.

Programs developed as a hobby are in a state of constant refinement (as per af123's custom firmware ecosystem for HDR-FOX); programs developed commercially are finished when management decide it's good enough to go or the money has run out and whatever they've got will have to do.

The same is true of hardware engineering (my particular forte). I miss the days of cost plus!

But Humax do make elementary mistakes tbat even the most rudimentary testing would have shown up. Grandstanding on cost is not really relevant here. Tbeir boxes are all premium priced, their revenue stream astounding. If they choose to spend profits on shareholder dividends rather than product quality, who are we to argue? They almost have a monopoly on pvrs in the UK so they can do whatever they like. F*ck the consumer, just release a new box with new problems.

..... in fact I don't think the coloured keys do anything any of the time.

I have no idea why they ditched the function of colured keys as shortcuts that have used on every box before it :thumbsdown: Only one now has a function... Red for the useless interactive services which I have never used.

I live in hope that one day, maybe, they may bring them back, but hopefully on a new faster machine with a less convoluted interface.

I have no idea why they ditched the function of colured keys as shortcuts that have used on every box before it :thumbsdown: Only one now has a function... Red for the useless interactive services which I have never used.
It's a fair point. But some people do use the interactive services on the BBC, meaning that all the coloured buttons have some (limited) use.

I live in hope that one day, maybe, they may bring them back, but hopefully on a new faster machine with a less convoluted interface.

And yet there is no button at all to access the recordings directly - this is exacerbate by the t-e-d-i-o-u-s-l-y-s-l-o-w- and clunky menu navigation - although I dont suppose Humax will ever spent 10 minutes fixing it whist ever other users defend this crippled interface - i've been buying and using PVRs sinces 2002 and this is the worst for navigating despite it having probably the least functionality of them all

Last edited:
Added a NEW LIST MENU
IMG_20180220_210401.jpg
....but they have REMOVED THE RESUME MENU....???????!!!!!!!????? Which means you can no longer watch things in series??????? This is a disaster for this box and the only way I can continue tutto use it if I roll back to the old menu

Attachments

• IMG_20180220_210816.jpg
    IMG_20180220_210816.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Can't admin put a 'force lower case' and suppress multiple punctuation marks restriction on this user to stop him bloody shouting at us all the time despite repeated requests not to.:frantic:

There is an ICON TO INDICATE WHETHER RECORDINGS ARE UNWATCHED OR PART WATCHED .....

vmhXs_6GFEj9bpvNMYD_sgQl02tNwrDiTgmLfGYyaIGft5j6z9AVCGIUPnYAaf_27olbN42PTWbemS3POkz3X2W_3D7X6EF1J0BPcgRWQRcUvR7iB86AQPWjyRKyqILr7bdnJ8gf

.....but you can't tell how much you have watched

Back