FVP-5000T Problem

HughA

I have just bought an FVP-5000T direct from Humax and my initial reaction was positive. It worked well and the UI was very responsive.
Unfortunately it has started losing its tuning. Twice now all 6 DVB-T muxes have totally vanished for no apparent reason and have to be retuned. Their channels don't even show in the EPG any more.
The 3 DVB-T2 muxes are fine and don't vanish. It is not an aerial problem as I have 80% signal and 100% quality. Also the TV's inbuilt Freeview tuner does not exhibit any such problems nor do other Freeview TVs in the house.
Has anyone had this happen with an FVP-5000 or an FVP-4000?
I suspect it will be going back to Humax for replacement shortly.

Spoke to Humax support. They asked me to reset to factory defaults and if it happens again they will replace the unit.

Spoke to Humax support. They asked me to reset to factory defaults and if it happens again they will replace the unit.
:eek:
Did you buy it new or reconditioned?
If it was bought new wouldn't you want a replacement NEW unit?

Humax support handle the additional Humax guarantee as the manufacturer but this is not usually for new units.

If you bough the unit new it would have been from Humax Direct and it is they who will handle the replacement with a new unit or a refund. They will of course refer you to Humax support first but that should only be to check that Humax support also think it is faulty.

Yes it was a new unit, it could hardly be anything else. Humax support seemed to be the obvious starting point to me!

Well, yes and no. If you are hoping Humax may be able to offer advice to stop this happening - yes. If you think it's faulty and you want refund/replacement under the consumer protection laws, your contract is with the organisation you paid money to (Humax Direct is not the same as Humax) and they are the ones obliged to refund/replace.

Last edited:
Yes it was a new unit, it could hardly be anything else. Humax support seemed to be the obvious starting point to me!

Pretty sure the tuning info is held in a Nvram module which I am guessing is faulty. If you lose the tuning info again you need to contact the seller (Humax Direct) as you already have it confirmed it will be faulty. Look up bathtub curve reliability (Failures like this tend to happen either very quickly or after a prolonged period). At least I guess you won't have built up a large backlog of recordings. What size HDD model did you buy ?

It is a 1 TB model but nothing much saved yet. A lot of timed recordings to set up again though!

The 5000T is a brand new unit only available for around 3 weeks or so. There are no reconditioned units.
My reply was to attempt to help HughA. There may not be any reconditioned sold yet through Humax Direct but there may already be some 'reconditioned' units which Humax Support could use.

My reply was to attempt to help HughA. There may not be any reconditioned sold yet through Humax Direct but there may already be some 'reconditioned' units which Humax Support could use.

Where would they have come from, far too early to have any returns. The OP has a brand new box, Humax Direct as the retailer will have to replace with a new one if faulty. The OP's consumer rights are between the retailer and himself. Not anything to do with the manufacturer. Why should the OP accept a reconditioned unit if they even exist ?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your concerns. Be assured I will make certain that I get a NEW replacement unit!
For interest, on my Humax Direct order confirmation the contact number for questions about the order is the same as that for Humax Support, so it is a little difficult to see who else I could have contacted!

Thank you all for your concerns. Be assured I will make certain that I get a NEW replacement unit!
For interest, on my Humax Direct order confirmation the contact number for questions about the order is the same as that for Humax Support, so it is a little difficult to see who else I could have contacted!

That is rather worrying. it's totally against UK consumer protection law.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

When you bought from Humax Direct (or any other retailer) you made a contract with whoever you ordered from. In this case your claim is against Humax Direct not Humax. Just the same as if you bought from John Lewis or any other retailer. Of course Humax Direct or any other supplier can make a seperate claim against the manufacturer. This is not to be confused with Humax offering a totally seperate 2yr warranty on their own accord which UK consumer law does not require. However UK consumer rights extend considerably beyond the 2 yrs, though beyond a certain time scale it falls on the consumer to prove the goods as provided were not fit for purpose. In this case it's an open and shut case (assuming it's not an isolated software corruption issue that can happen down to a local issue). Suggest you put in writing a complaint to Humax Direct stating that their advice is not compliant with UK consumer protection laws and copy it to your local trading standards.

A recent case against Panasonic dealers whose some satellite kit failed to work after a change to a less robust but still supported change to the forward error correction values resulted in ITV-HD reception being lost despite the parameters being in the technical spec, resulted in the retailer being found guilty, despite Panasonic refuting all claims.

Frankly Panasonic should have been sued, sadly only the dealers could do this.

Frankly Humax Direct should liase with Humax, just as any other retailer should. Based on experience Richer Sounds and John Lewis are about the only retailers who actually follow the current UK laws re consumer protection.

Humax get your act together before your excellent reputation of a year of so ago get's tarnished beyond repair.

Highlights

Freeview+ HDR-FOX-T2, Freesat+ Foxsat-HDR.

Some would one add the 9200T box to the mix, however compared to the Topfield Freeview + 9800T box it was a poor relation. The HDR-FOX-T2 HD box though was a classic design.

Last edited:
it's totally against UK consumer protection law.
I don't see why. Humax Direct may be a separate legal entity who is the retailer in this case, but they are still part of Humax (or whatever name their UK operation is registered under). So for them to share the same call centre and phone number is no surprise and probably perfectly legal.
I suspect many multi-pronged companies have similar arrangements but (perhaps more deviously) use different numbers to access the centre.
It will only be illegal if at some stage Humax Direct try to pass responsibility to Humax.

They asked me to reset to factory defaults and if it happens again they will replace the unit.
All this talk about consumer rights etc. Humax have said they will replace it so what's all that about?

Well, the problem has occured again so I will be on the phone to Humax again this morning to arrange a replacement.

Back