FVP-5000T Problem

All this talk about consumer rights etc. Humax have said they will replace it so what's all that about?

The issue is that Humax support will generally replace with a refurbished unit, whereas the retailer should replace with a brand new unit. There is a documented case of this happening on MyHumax.
I don't see why. Humax Direct may be a separate legal entity who is the retailer in this case, but they are still part of Humax (or whatever name their UK operation is registered under). So for them to share the same call centre and phone number is no surprise and probably perfectly legal.
I suspect many multi-pronged companies have similar arrangements but (perhaps more deviously) use different numbers to access the centre.
It will only be illegal if at some stage Humax Direct try to pass responsibility to Humax.

It has happened before and is documented on MyHumax. An owner approached Humax Support and received a refurbished box whereas the retailer (also Humax Direct) should have provided a new unit.

Well, the problem has occured again so I will be on the phone to Humax again this morning to arrange a replacement.
Given Graham's concerns you might be better asking for a refund and then buy a new unit, thus resetting your rights (unless there is some legal block to that).

An owner approached Humax Support
Taking that at face value, he approached the wrong company.
However, in the link you posted earlier it only talks about about refund, repair or replace. It doesn't say the replacement has to be new, and after 30 days (when your refund option expires) is your item repaired any different to any other refurbished item?
As I say in the post above, to be sure it's probably better to get an early refund and start afresh.

Good suggestion but too late. Just been on the phone to Humax again and they are arranging for a new unit to be sent from the warehouse. If the replacement unit isn't brand new or if it is faulty I will be seeking a refund. Thanks for all your inputs.

If there are any refurbed 5000T boxes already being turned round then summat is seriously up with them.

Good suggestion but too late. Just been on the phone to Humax again and they are arranging for a new unit to be sent from the warehouse. If the replacement unit isn't brand new or if it is faulty I will be seeking a refund. Thanks for all your inputs.

In your case I doubt you need to worry. The unit is so new even if they have some returns I doubt enough time has passed to refurbish any of them.

Well, over a week now and no sign of the promised replacement box. I've e-mailed twice for an update but no reply, so will be phoning them again in the morning.
Meanwhile the box has been behaving itself! I'm wondering if the problems I had were due to the recent Freeview reception problems because of atmospheric conditions, although I was having problems several days before this was reported.

Just an update. Manager at HUMAX phoned today and apologised for the delay. He confirmed that I was entitled to a brand new unit which will be delivered on Thursday.

Back