Goodbye Topfield hello Humax :-)

That's why I referred to Toppy/MyStuff not just Topfield. It is indeed the built in customability that it offers that allowed it be polished into the gleaming example of what a PVR should be and shows up the usability of the Humax range and the rest for the dross they really are. Alas, time moves on and I doubt we will see its like again.

My previous box was a Toppy, though I did not use mystuff I did use several other taps.
The Humax is an excellent replacement
Adding the Custom Firmware takes it to an even better level.

I don't think you will regret the move at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the info/opinions - where directed to links etc I have had a good read.

I have indeed opted for the HDR-FOX T2. I picked one up today. I shall get it up and running tomorrow evening.

Anyone know the cheapest place for a spare remote for it?
Cheers

I'm not aware of spare remotes being available. I bought a Harmony 300 when they were discounted, which has the advantage of the volume controls and mute punching controlling the TV rather than the Humax.

There always seems to be plenty of spare Humax remote controls available on ebay, both new and used.

Humax Direct will sell you one for £39.95, try doing an internet search and you will find plenty more, some cheaper, and some considerably more expensive.

I advise caution - be sure what you are buying. I once bought a "replacement" remote for a TV which turned out to be rubbish. We learn from our mistakes.

There are cheap non Humax remote controls available, but there should not be a problem buying a new Humax remote.

I bought a "Humax Fox HDR T2 Remote Control" on eBay earlier this year £15.99 delivered.
It looks genuine to me and functions perfectly.
The only difference from the original was that it uses the 4 digit custom codes rather than the 3 digit codes used on the original.
This is not a problem, both types exist with original machines and it is transparent to the humax itself.

Just search ebay for humax fox t2 remote. If you check the sellers feedback and ratings for a highly rated seller you should find what you want.

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...nics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item5ae89228c7

I bought a "Humax Fox HDR T2 Remote Control" on eBay earlier this year £15.99 delivered.
It looks genuine to me and functions perfectly.
The only difference from the original was that it uses the 4 digit custom codes rather than the 3 digit codes used on the original.
This is not a problem, both types exist with original machines and it is transparent to the humax itself.

Just search ebay for humax fox t2 remote. If you check the sellers feedback and ratings for a highly rated seller you should find what you want.

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...nics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item5ae89228c7

Nice one thanks - it was exactly what I had planned to do but wondered if they were genuine or at least funtioned correctly. Glad for the advise - I shall go ahead with that then.

Cheers

On a complete side note 'HarveyB' was the name of our beautiful traditional siamese cat. We lost him some years ago. Seeing the name made me smile.......

A

The "4 digit" remote control is the type supplied with the HD-FOX T2, but seems to work fine with the HDR-FOX T2.

Edit: You are looking for the RM-F04 remote.

The "4 digit" remote control is the type supplied with the HD-FOX T2, but seems to work fine with the HDR-FOX T2.

4-digit are the old version, replaced by the 3-digit type. Both work with the HD- and HDR-FOX, but the 4-digit type do not trigger the on-screen graphics when a mode button is pressed or if a button is pressed with an unprogrammed mode selected. Some might consider this an advantage.

Yes cheers I have read your intro to custom firmware. Just trying to get my head round something different - it seems I have an ingrained Toppy and Taps (Topfield Aps) mindset.

Also wondreing if my partner will take to the change.
This was exactly my challenge (i.e. keeping "the wife" happy when I switched from Topfield to Humax). She's not interested in HD and really liked the usability of the TopField (with the MyStuff EPG). The Humax certainly has some advantages, obviously HD, very responsive menus etc, excellent custom firmware.
Having said that I do miss the MyStuff functionality. Particularly the handling of recording conflicts, which I think is better than the Humax.

This was exactly my challenge (i.e. keeping "the wife" happy when I switched from Topfield to Humax). She's not interested in HD and really liked the usability of the TopField (with the MyStuff EPG). The Humax certainly has some advantages, obviously HD, very responsive menus etc, excellent custom firmware.
Having said that I do miss the MyStuff functionality. Particularly the handling of recording conflicts, which I think is better than the Humax.
Oh, and having Ethernet connectivity rather than USB is excellent :)

Back