Google Chromecast

I am a bit lost as to what it can do that I can't already do. I can stream all my music and videos from my Android devices to my TV, and also there are other apps that allow online stuff to be streamed. I can (could) also stream the live TV to my phone, though not my tablet. Also there are HDMI Android dongles that mean you don't need to stream anything, although I have had limited success with catch-up services on the one I bought.

So, what does this do that is new?

Edit: More information here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422228,00.asp

Is this like an Android stick? Impressive functionality in a small package, presumably powered from the HDMI.

What would be really nice is if two of these could pair up and provide a wireless HDMI link, but the bandwidth might be a problem for full HiDef.

Is this like an Android stick? Impressive functionality in a small package, presumably powered from the HDMI.

HDMI doesn't supply power to anything, does it? My HDMI stick has to get power from a USB socket on the TV, or a separate power supply/powered hub.

Still no sign of it here, though Amazon sellers are making a packet selling imported ones from the US, which will no doubt attract import duty+VAT+£10 handling fee when they arrive.

One buyer has reported that, after ordering, he discovered that his was coming from China. How does that work?

I bet the catch-up players don't work.

Amazon.com are taking orders now, £34 all in, delivered to the UK, duties paid.

ed: cost £33 in the end.

Amazon.com let through international orders before they closed the door a day or so later, saying they made a mistake and offering refunds.

Here is a progress report on mine. So, am I in GB or the UK? I am baffled. I thought I was in both, but they seem to draw a distinction! :confused:

October 15, 2013 06:30:00 PM GB Package arrived at destination country
October 14, 2013 02:17:00 PM UK Completed customs clearance process
October 13, 2013 05:04:00 PM UK Initiated customs clearance process
October 12, 2013 01:49:47 PM US Package has left the carrier facility
October 11, 2013 04:21:03 AM Des Plaines IL US Package received by carrier

Well, GB is an island (the biggest of the British Isles). I suppose it could have completed customs clearance on the Isle of White : )

Well, GB is an island (the biggest of the British Isles). I suppose it could have completed customs clearance on the Isle of White : )

Or even the Isle of Wight. Or perhaps Norther Ireland.

Anyway,

October 16, 2013 07:15:00 AM GB Out for delivery

So, still strictly in GB, not UK.

Rumours that the Chromecast may be released in the UK this month. Mind you, there were rumours 8 months ago too.

Having had one for several months, I can't say it has had much use. The lack of catchup players is the main drawback. Also, it is useless for games, as it doesn't cast the mouse cursor. Try playing Angry Birds without seeing where you are grabbing.

The Google Cast extension in Chrome now crashes regularly, even when not in use. It just did it now, right on cue.

Back