Green screen when upgraded to 4K TV

Installed my new 4K AV receiver Denon (AVR-X7200-WA) . The HDCP converter works fine with all my legacy kit, HDR-FOX-T2, FVP-5000T. Chrome cast. NOW TV stick and 4K Firestick,, Blu-ray Player and HDR-1000S, I may need it after upgrading TV to 4K model, to connect Balun connected link to full-HD kitchen TV from the AVR zone 2 HDMI output . Currently these are switched by a 4 in 2 out matrix switch.

Thanks all for the help so far.

I bought an HDMI HDCP converter ( a Digitus DA-70471 Video Converter Active Video Converter - the forum isn't letting me link to it). It hasn't fixed the problem - the TV recognises the connection as an AV receiver, and I just see a black screen. I've tried it powered and unpowered - no difference. One possibility is one of the HDMI cables (I only have one that I know for sure is meant to be 4K capable).

However, I do have another clue - for a while I had the HDMI connected even though I was watching via component, and I started seeing this message from the T2:
The programme cannot be viewed via HDMI connection because your TV does not support digital content protection (HDCP). Disconnect the HDMI cable and connect the SCART or composite video connector to watch the programme in standard resolution.
So it still feels to me that the HDCP converter should be the solution? Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_0113.jpg

That's very interesting, and isn't it typically Humax to display a status message in a manner which probably won't be seen?!

So it still feels to me that the HDCP converter should be the solution?
GT's suggestion of incompatibility between DHCP standards "feels like" the answer (I would expect the new version to be backwards compatible, but if it was there would be no market for a converter).

One possibility is one of the HDMI cables (I only have one that I know for sure is meant to be 4K capable).
I don't see as that should matter, but if you put the 4K cable between the converter and the telly you should be covered. Have you got the converter plugged in the right way around (if there is a right way around)?

I assume you have confirmed the Humax HDMI still works to a HDCP1 TV? There is always the possibility that your converter is duff.

As an aside, I have to say that it seems like the industry has shot itself in the foot if new TVs won't work with older HDMI sources (what, you mean I have to replace my Blu-Ray player AS WELL???). A friend needs to replace her TV and is complaining the new ones don't have a SCART socket (I've pointed her at a SCART-HDMI converter).

Last edited:
Are you certain your 4K TV is using HDCP2? If so, why is there a need for a HDCP1 to HDCP2 converter?

The HDMI handshaking problem has been around long before HDCP2 was available, it was an unsolved mystery then and it still is

See the image in post 23. The status message is a very clear indication that the OP's problem is HDCP negotiation rather than just HDMI handshaking.

HDCP may well have been the cause of many other 'green screen' reports as the message in #23 is of the type which probably won't be seen?!, as this has become a two person discussion, I'll leave you to have the last word as usual

I’ve upgraded my TV to a 4K Samsung QE43Q60R, and after connecting my Fox T2 I get a green screen.
I had been contemplating a QE65Q70R, but since it is the same generation, it sounds like it might not be a good idea, especially with 2 HDR-Fox-T2s to connect.
For what it is worth; I have just tried the kitchen Samsung UE19H4000AW with the HDR and it works ok (although I only tried it briefly, so I can't say whether it is 100%).

Last edited:
my last LG hd tv used to do that green screen sometimes and drove me nuts. I could not get rid of it until the program the t2 was recording finished and I did rocker button off on. my two 4k lg tv since have not had the green screen thing.

my last LG hd tv used to do that green screen sometimes and drove me nuts. I could not get rid of it until the program the t2 was recording finished and I did rocker button off on. my two 4k lg tv since have not had the green screen thing.
Our previous TV, Panasonic, did that a few times a year, though just putting the T2 to standby and back after recording finished was enough to fix it. Touch wood the Sony has been OK so far.

I hope all the users claiming that their Humax Fox T2 does not 'green screen' when connected to a 4K TV are prepared to substantiate their claims :)

I hope all the users claiming that their Humax Fox T2 does not 'green screen' when connected to a 4K TV are prepared to substantiate their claims :)
That's not what you said. What you said was there is no problem with HDMI2 (or whatever).

Well, my T2 does not green screen when connected to my 4k Samsung. How would you like me to substantiate that?

Back