Guidance on backups

Should I still just leave it going?
I would stop it and see what the SMART stats. say. and maybe run a long self test to check.
If it says there's an error in LBA 0, then I think your only option is possibly a security erase (search the forum).
If that doesn't fix it then it's a one-way trip to the WEEE bin for that disk (I don't think you told us what model etc. it is), having copied the contents to a new one (search the forum).

I would stop it and see what the SMART stats. say. and maybe run a long self test to check.
If it says there's an error in LBA 0, then I think your only option is possibly a security erase (search the forum).
If that doesn't fix it then it's a one-way trip to the WEEE bin for that disk (I don't think you told us what model etc. it is), having copied the contents to a new one (search the forum).

I stopped it, removed it and put in a (smaller 240Gb ) SSD that I had around - which might keep me going for a while.

Lucky I had that backup tar file after my discussions here (Thanks everyone!!), as I could get back all my settings for WebIF etc.

Only issue I had was doing uncompacting my backup tar file on the humax without having a tar command. Reinstalled a basic WebIF and then used tar (which is part of Busybox). Maybe there is a better way of doing this (for next time).

Luckily all my media is backed up up to my Synology NAS. I haven't copied any over - I suppose this would be quite slow to do so over the Network.
Maybe I can put the original disk in another PC, do a reformat etc and see if it might be reliable next time around or despatch it to the HDD graveyard...

Thanks again for all the help everyone here!

... without having a tar command. Reinstalled a basic WebIF and then used tar (which is part of Busybox). Maybe there is a better way of doing this
Slightly quicker to opkg install busybox or opkg install gtar, but it's neither here nor there.

Slightly quicker to opkg install busybox or opkg install gtar, but it's neither here nor there.
thanks that's useful - I didn't see the gtar package when I was looking so it will be more flexible to have that for my backups (so I can use --exclude='/mod/tmp/*' as mentioned by df previously)
Apologies if this a Linux 101 question - but how do I make gtar the default version of tar when I type the tar command? It defaults to the busybox version. I guess it's an environmental variable that has to be changed?

Erm... isn't it just a case of typing "gtar"?
No doesn't seem to be...
If I type gtar nothing..

If I type tar, I get
BusyBox v1.20.2 (2013-01-02 19:13:09 GMT) multi-call binary.

typing which tar gives
/mod/bin/tar

and I can run it directly (and this is gnu version it seems...)
but how to overidde the default tar command?

Mind you, I can copy the /mod/bin/tar file to gtar, set the execute permisson and then typing gtar at the terminal works :)
Maybe a bit clunky though - I guess there must be some way of overriding the busybox version.

Back