Hard Disk Failure

Thanks prpr - I'm still copying files off the Humax - is it worth running Fix-Disk again maybe after I've deleted all the files on the Humax ?

It can't do any harm. If the figures are still weird I would definitely re-format.

OK I have successfully transferred all recordings off the Humax to an external drive, and re-run Fix-disk the Statistics in the Top Bar now look like this
Total space: 906.06 GiB
Used: -324294905856 bytes (-34%)
Free: 1.18 TiB (134%)
Dustbin: 4 KiB (0%)
I first deleted all the recordings, so the figures should be reflecting that - is there any way through Maintenance to correct these figures ?

You said I should keep a check on the SMART stats - what exactly should I be looking for ?

This is what they say just now
upload_2015-11-2_14-30-1.png

The plot thickens - just tried a test recording and it wouldn't - The Disk is Full ! Checked Data Storage and it's telling me all zero's - Tried to format and it says, No capacity Too Large ! Maybe since I've got all my recordings off I should just change the disk ! The TV tuner seems to be working OK and the EPG has populated itself

Total space: 906.06 GiB
Used: -324294905856 bytes (-34%)
Free: 1.18 TiB (134%)
This is nonsense isn't it?
is there any way through Maintenance to correct these figures ?
If it hasn't been fixed now, then there probably isn't. You need to format and start again.
You said I should keep a check on the SMART stats - what exactly should I be looking for ?
Increases in ID: 5, 187, 188, 189
Non-zero in ID: 197, 198
The plot thickens - just tried a test recording and it wouldn't - The Disk is Full ! Checked Data Storage and it's telling me all zero's - Tried to format and it says, No capacity Too Large !
Reboot and try it again. It's probably done it though. I suspect package modules which are still running stop the Humax software from unmounting which generates the stupid "too big" error.
Or just use the command line:
Code:
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/sda2
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3

Hi - no change in status re the numbers - tried your cmd line entries and this is the result

Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.03.12/3.00
To return to the menu, type: exit
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.42.10 (18-May-2014)
/dev/sda1 contains a ext3 file system labelled 'hmx_int_stor'
last mounted on Tue Nov 3 07:50:17 2015
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sda1 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2 contains a ext3 file system labelled 'hmx_int_stor'
last mounted on
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sda2 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3
/dev/sda3 contains a ext3 file system labelled 'hmx_int_stor'
last mounted on Tue Nov 3 07:50:17 2015
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sda3 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

humax#

Also tried first one in Maintenance Mode cli and result was the same

I did also notice in the Fix-Disk Log the following at the end
upload_2015-11-3_9-55-36.png

Is the Memory Allocation Failed something that can be corrected ?

Thanks for all your help and advice - Sorry it's being such a pain !

Maintenance mode is necessary (or settop -stop or something like) for disk operations. If something complains about a file system being mounted, use the command "umount" - eg "umount /dev/sda3".

Late breaking news ! Sept 2014 our house was struck by lightning and caught fire - most electronics were destroyed either by the fire or the lightning - including my HDR Fox T2 - at least when I switched it on, nothing happened. I kept it though in case one day I could get it fixed and in the meantime bought a replacement which is the subject of the above woes !

So this morning I ventured into the loft to retrieve my old humax box and swapped the disks between old and new - you've guessed - the new box is working perfectly with the old disk (it's even got the recordings still there I had made in the run-up to the fire !)

I would still like to recover the new disk if possible, just in case ..... Nah, lightning doesn't strike twice does it ?

So if there is anything I can do - is it possible to reformat it using my desktop computer ?

Just seen your response Black Hole as I posted this, so I will try again with UNMOUNT cmd first - thanks

No, not "unmount" - "umount".

My preference is to strip out the CF and then try the format option on the SUI again.

I can't find the thread but I think that if you select the 'set RMA' option in Web-If or maintenance mode and reboot, you can then reformat from the SUI. You don't have to complete the RMA procedure: after reformatting, you will get the Web-If bootstrap page. After reinstalling your packages you can cancel the RMA procedure (again, from maintenance mode, I think).

Hi All - well it looks like everything is fixed ! I un-mounted the volumes to do what prpr had suggested above, and all went fine, and the humax then went into 'Download Complete Web Interface' which I did, and everything has returned to normal - all the usage figures are now correct, and I've done a test recording which was fine. I haven't reformatted since there are only 8 sectors re-allocated and I will keep an eye on this - so thanks very much everybody. Time to visit the Donations page I think (again)

Back