Hard Disk upgrade

cloud9

I am hoping to upgrade my 500GB HD to a new 2TB drive tomorrow. I've opened the case and the hardware side looks straight forward. I changed to a CFW based on the 1.03.12 Humax FW as I gather that has support for formatting such a disk and hope to avoid the formatting/partitioning hassle mentioned in http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog . I have a SATA/USB gadget that I hope can allow the old drive to be read once out.

I was hoping for more information on how to get the machine back to how it was. i.e. transfer everything over the the new disk. I believe I need to install webif from scratch before I can do anything. And obviously copying the media across at some point. But what about the schedule? The packages? And all the settings? And is it worth copying the logs across? If so where are all these things?
  • af123 mentioned the schedule backups are in /mod/var/backup so I assume I can copy those and then restore from there.
  • Do I have to remember which packages are installed and download them again? Or can they be copied direct from the old HDD? And if the latter, does anything need to be done to get them working again?
  • And all the settings - general ones and also for the various packages?
  • TV Diary data? Or does it just get rebuilt?

1. Standard Humax firmware is now capable of formatting drives up to 2TB for itself - no messing about required.
  2. The schedule etc is stored in flash - not on the HDD. The HDR-FOX functions perfectly well (except for recording) without a HDD fitted at all.
  3. Fit the old drive in a SATA-USB adapter and then you can import all the recorded media, package support, etc etc afterwards.
My recommendation is that you re-install the CF and packages fresh, from the WebIF install phase (the element in flash, ie installed via USB update, is not affected by the HDD swap), and then import configuration details from the old HDD using FTP or the command line.

I have a SATA/USB gadget that I hope can allow the old drive to be read once out.
It should be simple if you're prepared to use a Telnet client. Reboot with the USB drive disconnected, then plug it in, otherwise it may get the wrong disk identifier.
I haven't actually done this, but it will be something like this:
Code:
humax# mkdir /tmp/b2
humax# mount /dev/sdb2 /tmp/b2
humax# opkg install rsync
humax# rsync -av /tmp/b2/ /mnt/hd2/
humax# umount /tmp/b2
Unplug the USB drive and reboot.

Last edited:
Ah thank you, I hadn't realised the schedule was in Flash. That of course makes a lot of sense. So the box should be able to continue operation without any fiddling, and the only fiddling should be to get the custom setup back to where it was (and copying the previous media across).

1. and then import configuration details from the old HDD using FTP or the command line.
That was the question - where are those config details etc stored in the system. I'm comfortable on the command line, but haven't a clue about the layout/locations I need. I can look around, but since so many people seem to have done this I thought the info might be out there somewhere.

You just need to copy the /mod directory from the old drive to the new. That will copy over all CFW components including packages and settings that are on disk.

Back