Hard Drive Swap

Don't understand the "schedule recordings. from anywhere in the world", I take it this is something to do with firmware updates,
Remote Scheduling is one of the many features available once you have the custom firmware installed, allows you to use a web browser anywhere to view the programme guide and schedule recordings.

So you miss out on good stuff like live pause then, and when you want to schedule a recording you need to turn on the 'FOX, switch the TV to the HDMI input, and then access the EPG... what a faff.
To be fair, live pause is offered by some TVs, perhaps by adding a USB stick, and once upon a time it used to be possible to use your TV EPG to schedule recordings on a compatible recorder (SmartLink, Q-link, Easy-link, etc).

Leaving CF aside, the PVR-8000T EPG and channel management was way ahead of the competition at the time and the same applies to the HD/R-Fox T2. Sometimes you wonder if any employee of a TV/PVR company has actually tried to use their UI on its seamless journey from lowest cost third world developers to product to landfill.

Don't understand the "schedule recordings. from anywhere in the world", I take it this is something to do with firmware updates, which i am going to look into and try out on the old box, then if i bugger it up its no problem.
Your journey starts here (skip to post 3 for a round-up of some of the things it can do): Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

There's no reason you should "bugger it up".

Your journey starts here (skip to post 3 for a round-up of some of the things it can do): Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

There's no reason you should "bugger it up".
Thanks for that, i am going to have look, and have a go at installing on the old Humax. Oh believe me when it comes to techie stuff I have a bit of a history of messing up things. All part of learning. I understand the remote schedule now, that's something I wouldn't need or use as the Humax wont ever be networked. Its just used to record and watch programmes I like. We have a Pansonic PVR on the main tv, but i have noticed even that is used far less now with the likes of catch up TV. I wont give my Humax up yet though.

the Humax wont ever be networked
That's pretty much a pre-requisite for custom firmware - there is very little you can do without it being networked, at the very least to access the CF control interface (WebIF). Installation also requires an Internet connection, even if only temporarily.

the Humax wont ever be networked. Its just used to record and watch programmes I like.
There may be some features of the custom firmware that help you to "just" record and watch programmes you like more easily and with additional flexibility.

I’ll use one of the plugins for the installation, and to see what it can do, I don’t see me using it much, as long as it records and plays I’m happy, and if it makes this better it will be useful. I don’t see it being networked full time.

Read the Quick Guide to Firmware, USB stick sorted, will give it a go on Humax when it arrives. Going to remove case of the Humax I have now to see if I can see any issue with aerial connection. Doubt I could repair it, but I’m willing to give it a go. Thanks for all the help & advice

Back