Hard Drives to Use with the HD-FOX T2

N

nj1

Hard Drives to Use with the HD-FOX T2

Followed Humax for a number of years, and took the plunge with an HD-FOX T2 earlier this week. Really pleased, as streaming from a NAS over home network, and receiving HD from Berkshire, when pointing to Crystal Palace. Upgraded firmware to the latest.

Is there a list of Hard Drives that are compatible? I tried a really old 20Gb HD in a powered caddy, & though was able to format it, was unable for it to be nominated by the HD-FOX T2. (could navigate the drive, though recordings not made. I see that the supported features according to USB file system
? FAT32 : Read, Copy (MP3, JPEG, or Video files)
? NTFS : Read (MP3, JPEG, or Video files)

The formatting of the drive was near-instantaneous (or within 1 sec), which I thought was a bit strange. Have another WD MyBook that will try as a last resort, though I made the assumption that any externally powered USB HD may be compatible, but not. Any advice?

Nik

Re: Hard Drives to Use with the HD-FOX T2

nj1 said:
Followed Humax for a number of years, and took the plunge with an HD-FOX T2 earlier this week. Really pleased, as streaming from a NAS over home network, and receiving HD from Berkshire, when pointing to Crystal Palace. Upgraded firmware to the latest.

Is there a list of Hard Drives that are compatible? I tried a really old 20Gb HD in a powered caddy, & though was able to format it, was unable for it to be nominated by the HD-FOX T2. (could navigate the drive, though recordings not made. I see that the supported features according to USB file system
? FAT32 : Read, Copy (MP3, JPEG, or Video files)
? NTFS : Read (MP3, JPEG, or Video files)

The formatting of the drive was near-instantaneous (or within 1 sec), which I thought was a bit strange. Have another WD MyBook that will try as a last resort, though I made the assumption that any externally powered USB HD may be compatible, but not. Any advice?

Nik
Your 20GB HDD is much too small a capacity to use because the HD-FOX T2 reserves around 20GB of space for the record buffer, and recording the HD channels can use up to around 4GB per hour.

I have a 500GB HDD connected to my HD-FOX T2, and this works very well.

Re: Hard Drives to Use with the HD-FOX T2

Tried the Hitachi 1TB simpledrive a couple of months ago (about £50 from Tesco) seemed to work O.K.

that looks good thanks, has anyone used one with hdr fox t2? any likely problems with dumping contents of hd onto this?? or can i set it to record direct to this instead?

finally got one of above drives from buy.com for under £70 delivered

just plugged it in, and it was recognised immediately, decided to transfer a film across to it to assess speeds, however once i'd created a file called films and clicked on copy/move it just says added file to copy and seems to have frozen?? the little spinning star icon is static and you can do nothing with the pvr. pull the usb and it springs back to live.

am i just being impatient, i imagined i'd be able to use the pvr while transferring, as you can with the background delete?? or is this a fix that we need doing?? anyone else had anything similar?

actually it seems to have let me carry on whilst the background copying goes on, two films still copying tho and thats 40 mins and counting?? seems a long time to me??

How big was the file? The Buffalo comes pre-formatted with FAT32 which has a 4GB limit on file size. If you intend to use the drive exclusively with the T2, it would be best to reformat it with ext3. Many HD files will exceed 4GB.

patience is a virtue!!

not sure of size of files but not hd, films less than 2 hrs i think, how do i reformat it?

so martin, everything i copy will need de-encryption? should have investigated this better methinks!!

its still copying, think i'll pull the plug on it soon, glad it does it in background at least, will plug into pc and see if i cant format it?

so martin, everything i copy will need de-encryption?

It depends what you want to do with the file. If it is for backup then no and you can move the files with ftp but if you want to play them elsewhere then yes they will need to have the encryption removed (and of course you can only do this on SD recordings).

its simply to clear some space on the hard drive which is about 70% full already, was planning to tfr films, that i prob wont have time to watch until the autumn, onto it so i can record the usual run of the mill, quick turnover stuff. like i said i should've done more research!!

its still going by the way, whats that 5 hours?? i simply plugged the hdd in, no drivers necessary, didnt come with instructions apart from that!!

Back