Harlots

If you are interested in Harlots, then you may be unaware that
A) the second series follows on from the first, which is to say it's in the usual timeslot of 9pm Wednesday BBCTWO but
B) the series link ends with the first series so you'll have to set up a new one.

It's easy to overlook so I thought it warranted a post.

A) the second series follows on from the first, which is to say it's in the usual timeslot of 9pm Wednesday BBCTWO but
B) the series link ends with the first series so you'll have to set up a new one.

And when does series 1 end?

It seems pretty damned stupid for the BBC to set up the series links this way. I know logically it is correct but in practice it is almost certainly not what any viewer wants.

Since when has the BBC even vaguely considered what the majority want? Not for a long time.
Set up a shouty minority group to address them and you will be quids in, especially if you know the latest woke right on language.

It seems pretty damned stupid for the BBC to set up the series links this way. I know logically it is correct but in practice it is almost certainly not what any viewer wants.
They do the same for quiz shows!
Who really cares which series of Pointless they are currently repeatng
Really all most people want is a reliable New vs Repeat indication

Change in scrid is one of the checks that my new schedchk package makes but it is not fully relabe since it depends on the name and timeslot remaining the same

I would rather have a different Series Link for each series of a programme than them lazily and randomly using the same link for all epiodes from any series of a programme whether they are repeats or not. It is not too hard to keep track of when a new series of a favourite or hotly-tipped new programme is due to launch. Am I the only one who does a weekly check and set of all my timers (on a Friday usually, using my marked up copy of the Radio Times)?

I would rather have a different Series Link for each series of a programme than them lazily and randomly using the same link for all episodes from any series of a programme whether they are repeats or not. It is not too hard to keep track of when a new series of a favourite or hotly-tipped new programme is due to launch.
Snap.

Very useful post and just checked and sure enough, the 1st series has ended with the 2nd series on a new series CRID so not picked up.

I can kind of understand this is is literally correct, a new series gets a new series CRID, however given they are all being shown back to back without a break, it may originally have been two series (seasons) but is being broadcast all in one 'series' of showings, so I think the same series CRID should be used. Worse case with the same CRID, someone only wanting the second series may get a few of series 1 depending on when they set the schedule, no hardship they can just be deleted. However, for all those just watching series 1 for the first time, then as it stands now with a new CRID, would be unaware that mid-way through it will stop recording, and will likely miss the second series or some of it.

Really there should be a rule that if several series is shown back to back, it becomes one whole series and keeps the same series CRID all the way through, as essentially it has become one big series.

Back in June to coincide with the normal Glastonbury time the BBC broadcast a series of Highlights programmes and repeats from previous years.
Every one of the repeats contained a Series link making them appear to be linked but every one was to a different series scrid (presumably from year of first broadcast) making it impossible to set up a series link to record all of them, each needed a separate one-off recording scheduled

In other case I have seen three series crids used for a gameshow in the same week

My mum and myself are 4 episodes behind watching Harlots. If it were not for this thread, we would have failed to record this week's episodes starting Series 2. People shouldn't have to keep track of this sort of technical crap.

I realise this is only relevant to a subset of forum members, but if there is anything I am particularly interested in I set up an alert via RS. I then inspect the hits that get emailed and choose whether to set a recording.

I have been waiting months, possibly years, to grab a specific clip within a particular episode of River Cottage Every Day, and finally it has turned up for this coming Friday.

One thing to note is that if you bookmark a programme in iPlayer is that it lists all episodes from all series for that programme (if stilL available to view). But it does still group then by series. So for the BBC at least if you missed seeing or recording an episode because it has a new CRID you can easily catch up and be prompted to set a link for the rest of the new series. For commercial channels the same is true apart from the pain of not being able to skip the ad breaks.

FYI

The effing BBC did this again.

The first season of Atlanta ended with episode 10, broadcast at 00:30 last night.

The second season of Atlanta started with episode 1, broadcast at 01:00 last night.

With episode 2, broadcast at 01:30 last night.

Which, of course needed a new Series Recording to be set and thus was not picked up, at least by me.

Damned annoying.

At least this makes some sort of sense. Series 1 and Series 2 are, by definition, separate series.
What really annoys me is the series link failing in the middle of a series. The BBC are always doing this with radio series. :mad:

Boosting this to ask, is there a package that helps with changing CRIDs or the other issues raised in this thread?

Like a TiVo style wishlist?

Boosting this to ask, is there a package that helps with changing CRIDs or the other issues raised in this thread?

Like a TiVo style wishlist?
Yes, see the schedchk package

For anyone watching Roadkill the BBC, in their infinite wisdom, have changed the series CRID for next week's (Sun 1 Nov) episode.
At least for Harlots they could claim the change was because of a new series but for Roadkill it is mid-series

For anyone watching Roadkill the BBC, in their infinite wisdom, have changed the series CRID for next week's (Sun 1 Nov) episode.
...and it is entirely possible they will correct it before transmission, so the existing schedule reservation might still work. Belt and braces: add the "new" version to your schedule (the old one will be in the quiescent list), then it should record whichever actually gets transmitted.

Back