Have jump key durations changed with latest cfw?

mlavende

Hi,

I recently updated to the latest (3.10) cfw. Last weekend the hummy appeared to totally reset it self since I switched on to a rescan of channels, setup screen etc. Also I noticed the IP address changed back to dhcp allocated rather than static. Anyway I went through all the settings and put them back as expected.

Things seem fine except that I've noticed the jump key durations now appear to do +120/-10 secs instead of +60/-15.

Is this a change implemented with the latest firmware (I was on 3.03 previously)?

Can I change it?

On another note after the 'reset' I ran the 'fix-flash-packages' diagnostic but this appeared to crash out on me and had some popup about 'disconnecting'. Is this normal or should I be seriously considering reinstalling everything?

Thanks

-Mat

It does that sometimes.
No.
Yes (menu settings somewhere).
No and no (although if you were specific about what "crash out on me" and "disconnecting" meant, then maybe someone would be better placed to advise).

Last edited:
Hi prpr,

thanks for the replies. I assumed there would be a menu to change the values somewhere but I can't find it despite ages going through all the menus. Any pointers? I assume there's a menu I'm not getting into properly

I'll try re-running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and make a note of the message that pops up and report back :)

Thanks

-Mat

Bizarrely, for something related to playback (but that's Humax for you):
Menu -> Settings -> Preferences -> Recordings

Recordings is a plural, so must be a noun. In this context, the stuff you have recorded and it's that that that skip affects:)

OK so I should probably change the thread title now but let's see.

After my 'crash' earlier now I seem to get the following error after trying to install any new package:

The site can't be reached
192.168.2.117 refused to connect

Initially all is fine and I can see the GUI. I try to install a package and it seems to work but then clearly hasn't and if i try to do it again, or a different one I just get the message above. Only a reboot fixes it then.

I have a fixed IP address as above and nothing else is using it as far as I know.

Any ideas please? Is there a log file somewhere I can look at?

Thanks

-Mat

You need to confirm your network is configured the way you think it is - assume nothing. Check the Humax IP address with the on-screen menus. Check the router's logs to see what addresses it thinks are allocated to each device by MAC. It might all be a red herring, but at least you will be sure one way of the other.

You need to confirm your network is configured the way you think it is - assume nothing. Check the Humax IP address with the on-screen menus. Check the router's logs to see what addresses it thinks are allocated to each device by MAC. It might all be a red herring, but at least you will be sure one way of the other.
I have checked thanks and all ip addresses are correct on both router and hummy.
Presumably the fact that I can connect from a browser and see the hummy via the webif proves that?

Initially all is fine and I can see the GUI. I try to install a package and it seems to work but then clearly hasn't and if i try to do it again, or a different one I just get the message above. Only a reboot fixes it then.
This sounds rather like you need to run the "fixpkg" diagnostic.

Hi both,

sorry for the delay - this has gone to my spam folder for some reason!

Anyway, 192.168.2.117 is the local IP address of my Hummy

Is fixpkg the same as fix-flash-packages because I had some issues with that which I sort of documented at the start of this thread?

I have installed a couple of packages ok so not sure what happened before and the Hummy is currently spending a long time decrypting lots of files so I can then shrink them - my disc is getting full.

Thanks for your continued replies

-Mat

this has gone to my spam folder for some reason!
My notifications do too. Unfortunately that's the way the ISPs work - if their filters decide certain email traffic is spam, they share that around and it's very difficult getting particular emails recognised as "not spam". I routinely patrol the forums I am interested in looking for new posts myself, rather than rely on alerts.

Anyway, 192.168.2.117 is the local IP address of my Hummy
I thought so - in which case the checks I suggested were relevant.

the Hummy is currently spending a long time decrypting lots of files so I can then shrink them - my disc is getting full.
You don't need to decrypt in order to shrink, and shrinking is only staving off the inevitable temporarily. You need to look at your archive and decide what you really need to keep available for instant access, or what you need to keep at all, and put the stuff you really can't do without (but can be moved off-line) onto an external drive.

IMO you need 25% free disk space to be comfortable, below 10% things get difficult.

My notifications do too. Unfortunately that's the way the ISPs work - if their filters decide certain email traffic is spam, they share that around and it's very difficult getting particular emails recognised as "not spam". I routinely patrol the forums I am interested in looking for new posts myself, rather than rely on alerts.

I thought so - in which case the checks I suggested were relevant.

You don't need to decrypt in order to shrink, and shrinking is only staving off the inevitable temporarily. You need to look at your archive and decide what you really need to keep available for instant access, or what you need to keep at all, and put the stuff you really can't do without (but can be moved off-line) onto an external drive.

IMO you need 25% free disk space to be comfortable, below 10% things get difficult.

I have about 33% free so still fairly ok, but the kids have started to record more and more nonsense and space seems to be shrinking. I can't remember the reason for decrypting now, but it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Thanks

-Mat

Decryption makes the recordings accessible across your network via FTP, SMB, or NFS, and means they would be recoverable should you need to remove the hard drive (eg if the Humax died).

I think I did it so that the start and end bookmarks are put in (I use 2/10 padding) so that I could run a script to remove the padding and save space that way if needed. I know that can be done on a per-file basis, but I need to do some reading and see it it can be set on a folder basis. Doesn't immediately appear obvious from the webif but tere may be a package that does it.

Thanks

-Mat

Again, none of that requires decryption. The package that sets bookmarks at the start and end flags is arbookmarks, but there is no auto-crop. If you were going to do that you might as well use AR rather than padding! The equivalent is to install multimode and select AR or padding on a recording-by-recording basis (but I don't see much point - the reason for using padding at all is that you don't trust the AR flags to be in the right place, or you are recording from multiple regions which means AR is unreliable).

detectads can be set to auto-crop. The problem with auto-cropping in general is that there is no guarantee the AR bookmarks will occur within the padded recording, and therefore a risk that the crop might remove what you want rather than what you don't want.

Back