HD Flags on ITV HD & CH4 HD

Steppy

We have just had the final switch over today and I noticed that the SD BBC1 & BBC2 programs show an HD flag in the EPG and when I set a program it shows that an HD version is available. There is no such symbol in the ITV & CH4 listings and it doesnt suggest HD alternatives when I set a program to record.

Is this because only the BBC channels are actually transmitting in HD and ITV & CH4 are upscaled?

I have also noticed that ITV HD sound is very slightly out of sync.

The picture is amazing though :)

Whether you are offered the HD channel alternative depends on whether the information is present in the EPG data. Not being offered the alternative doesn't mean there isn't one.

Whether you are offered the HD channel alternative depends on whether the information is present in the EPG data. Not being offered the alternative doesn't mean there isn't one.

Thank you. Are the HD flags in the guide something the broadcaster sends or what the Humax interprets?

I have also noticed that ITV HD sound is very slightly out of sync.

Yes I found that as well - I had a play with the Audio Delay option in the Hummy menu to make it less noticeable but you have to find the balance to get ITV HD OK without messing up everything else.

Yes I found that as well - I had a play with the Audio Delay option in the Hummy menu to make it less noticeable but you have to find the balance to get ITV HD OK without messing up everything else.

Is that setting per channel or is it an overall setting?

An overall setting I'm afraid - I always notice it most if I'm watching the main news (so if I'm bugged enough I watch the BBC instead!!) - but I don't notice it as much on any of the other stuff on ITV so I wondered if it's anything to do with how ITV get the news program from ITN??

Fortunately I mainly watch ITV1 HD for the footy where poor lip synching of the commentary is not noticable and whose studio punditry is not worth paying attention to so it does not bother me there either.

Ah well if it's football you're talking about then lip syncing of bad language and abuse of the ref (and indeed other players and the crowd it seems these days) is only important for the tabloids and the police!!!!! At least with Rugby they give the ref a mike so you can hear it all!!!!

I have tried the lip sync, but that just makes it worse.

I see that it also effects Sky customers, so why haven't ITV done anything about it yet ? :-(

They will blame your equipment if they hold true to form. They simply don't recognise they have a problem unique to them which does not affect other broadcasters.

They will blame your equipment if they hold true to form. They simply don't recognise they have a problem unique to them which does not affect other broadcasters.

Correct, see below

Thank you for your enquiry regarding lip sync.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced problems recently. Our
> Technical team has advised that an engineering line up is carried out
> for all programmes which are closely monitored, both in audio and
> vision, during transmission. While lip sync is tuned correctly at the
> point of transmission there are many variables that could introduce sync
> differences in the home including device processing and the interaction
> between various types of TV, digital boxes and other equipment.
>
> Many HD equipment manufacturers provide an off-set function in
> television displays, A/V systems (amplifiers) and Set Top Boxes which
> can be easily accessed via the menu. The Technical team suggest that you
> may like to explore this option, starting with the Set Top Box if a
> reboot (by unplugging at the mains for 30 seconds) does not help. Please
> consult your equipment manual for details.
>
> I hope the above information helps to rectify the matter for you.
> However, if lip sync problems should continue would you please forward
> answers to the following questions. Our technical team is pleased to
> receive all comments from viewers and I will pass your details to them.
>
> Postcode
> Region
> Platform (eg Sky, Freesat, Cable, Freeview)
> Channel(s) affected
> Programme(s) affected
> Date & time of broadcast
> Are you referring to 'live' or time-shifted content on a PVR
> Are you viewing via the TV speakers or additional speakers
> Set top box or integrated TV details (manufacturer etc)
> Name & contact details
>
> Once again, thank you for taking the trouble to contact ITV.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Julia

I did say that ITVHD is the only channel effected and that googling ITVHD lip sync brings up hundreds of results :(

> However, if lip sync problems should continue would you please forward
> answers to the following questions. Our technical team is pleased to
> receive all comments from viewers and I will pass your details to them.
OK then - at least there's somewhere to send some info to - lets have the email address and I'll be glad to chip in with some details

Presuming your TV has a HiDef tuner, you can go for the throat by complaining about the lip sync as viewed directly with no other components in the chain.

OK OK, I'll rephrase that... Anyone with a TV that has a HiDef tuner can go for the throat by complaining about the lip sync as viewed directly with no other components in the chain.

Well I sent my info in and got an acknowledgment reply from Derek (thank you for taking the time....passed onto our technical team...please do not hesitate...etc etc). I didn't expect any more than that to be honest but hey at least there's two of us keeping each other company in the email folder/fault ticket list that no-one will look at!!!

Wierd thing last night.... Lip sync on Coronation Street was perfect!!!

Not sure if its a one off, but I know the day before it was definitely out!

Back