HD-FOX CF Host UPD

Actually, that looks very similar to my one that just died. I'll check the invoices and see what I actually bought (memory fade).

The one that just died was a Sandisk Cruzer (or purported to be, anyway). It is in a "micro" package though - I wonder if heat build-up has anything to do with it?
Correction: it's a Kingston, same as prpr's (but greater capacity):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C6GLF78/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I have blown a Cruzer previously. It would not surprise me if heat is the problem, and I note that af123's unit is encased in metal. I may have to consign the three (small) HDDs + caddies and the SSD I bought to stock and test the Kingston Traveller.

Curiously I also have miniature UPDs sitting in my HDRs (to provide virtual USB mounts), and they have not failed over several years. The HDRs have fans of course, while the HD-FOX doesn't.

I see that feedback on Amazon for some of these tiny UPDs is bad, with the blame put on overheating.

Am I best off with the SSD as Ext2, or doesn't it matter?

Ext2 may be better because it wears the SSD out less. Ext3 has journalling so does more writes. On the other hand that makes Ext3 filing systems easier to repair if they develop faults. And the wear levelling on an SSD may be good enough that the extra writes of Ext3 don't matter. It's hard to say really.

Why not just use a bog standard cheap 2 1/2 inch whirling disk HDD?
As it happens I bought three (three HD-FOXes, but only one in heavy use) before I spotted the cheap SSD, but I went for the SSD anyway in the spirit of adventure and trial, and I used one of the HDDs for its enclosure and USB interface.

I'll get a metal-cased UPD to try in the other HD-FOX that has moderate service (and maybe leave it turned on most of the time!).

Hmm. I'm stuck.

I tried re-formatting the SDD to FAT (it's currently Ext3) so that I could use the Telnet menu facility to convert to Ext2, but my PC wouldn't have anything to do with it. I tried following the instructions for command line conversion as detailed here:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hd-fo...y-using-32gb-pen-drive.2197/page-2#post-26738
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/FAQs#How_do_I_convert_a_drive_to_EXT2.3F

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
/bin/sh: /mod/sbin/tune2fs: not found

Why is tune2fs not found? I've got the latest CF installed. Can it be that xyz321 was relying on extras he had installed when he wrote these instructions, or that it would only work on a HDR-FOX and he was making assumptions? Am I the first person to try this out??? On the other hand, the raw CF is capable of converting from FAT to Ext2, so the utilities must be there somewhere.

What would have been useful in this case is if the tmenu conversion process is less picky about what the drive is to start with. It just says "no drive suitable for conversion" because it is expecting FAT.

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
/bin/sh: /mod/sbin/tune2fs: not found

Why is tune2fs not found?
Because this is an HD and you don't have /mod pointing anywhere sane at that point without a disk.
In any case, tune2fs and mke2fs are, fairly obviously, in flash.
the utilities must be there somewhere.
Exactly. They're in /sbin, which is on the PATH, so just type tune2fs without prepending anything.
What would have been useful in this case is if the tmenu conversion process is less picky about what the drive is to start with. It just says "no drive suitable for conversion" because it is expecting FAT.
I was of the same opinion, but when I queried it was told that was how it was meant to be to save screw-ups (OWTTE).

Last edited:
Great, thanks, that sorted it.

Regardless of the other considerations, the published instructions need revising so that the tune2fs command is not prefixed by a (invalid) path.

The SSD got installed, WebIF downloaded, packages added, etc etc straight after prpr's tip (thanks - it didn't occur to me to try the command without a path prefix). All running sweet at the moment (but so did the UPD to start with) - except I have put tape over the enclosure LED because it's blue and SOOOO F*****G BRIGHT!!!! (Maybe one made by a Taiwanese LED manufacturer called Kingbright - I'm not kidding, there is one, and I have previously joked that the name should have an initial apostrophe, or even first name Fu!)

Kingston SE9 on order.

Last edited:
You are a glutton for punishment BH. But interesting reading.

My 128G Data Traveller UPD HERE will not work on my Sammy TV as a recording device. The Sammy says it fails the performance check. Really? It's USB3 and my 1T whirling dervish HDD works just fine at USB2. But the b***** have now reduced the price by £6. Grrr

Does it power entirely off the USB OK or does it need external power?

Has anyone got recommends for enclosures? I can never find one that I like at a price I want to pay.

The Sammy says it fails the performance check. Really? It's USB3 and my 1T whirling dervish HDD works just fine at USB2.
The limiting factor of such devices is never the interface speed. Most USB devices can't even saturate the USB 2 speed, so what's the point in sticking a USB 3 interface on yet another slow storage medium? It's just a con.

But surely the transfer speed should be faster than a whirling dervish HDD?
Bollox, I'm intruding on BH's thread again.:oops:

Has anyone got recommends for enclosures? I can never find one that I like at a price I want to pay.
The three I was supplied with the HDDs (2.5") are quite nice (even if the LED could be toned down a bit). They are an extruded sleeve with a clip-in end plate at one end and a tiny circuit board at the other which plugs into the drive's SATA and presents a USB socket externally. No identification on it though.

image.jpg

Back