HD-FOX T2 PVR functionality using 32GB pen drive

I think we are generally agreed that 32GB is the smallest drive one could get away with for this. Anybody prepared to guinea pig the Ext2 method? We think it should be less wearing on the drive. To improve life it is recommended not to enable the timeshift buffer (live pause).

Apparently the drive is registered as recordable (by the HD-FOX) by storing the UUID. So the method if not using the custom software is to format the drive (to Ext3) using the HD-FOX and enable recording, then transfer it to a PC and use appropriate partition tools (probably Linux utilities) to note the UUID, reformat as Ext2, and restore the original UUID.

Using the custom firmware it is possible to do this entirely on the HD-FOX: use the instructions HERE (click) to format Ext2, then in the WebIF diagnostics run assignhd to update the UUID register.

It is possible to convert ext3 -> ext2 or vice versa without reformatting by unmounting the filesystem and using tune2fs. I can post details if anyone is interested.

It is possible to convert ext3 -> ext2 or vice versa without reformatting by unmounting the filesystem and using tune2fs. I can post details if anyone is interested.

Is tune2fs part of the e2fsprogs package or is it only available in the new Custom Firmware Ver. 2.12?

Should that be e2fsprogs?

Yes, please post details, I might even get a 32GB UPD and try it myself.

Is tune2fs part of the e2fsprogs package or is it only available in the new Custom Firmware Ver. 2.12?
It is in both. To run it from the package you need to give the full path '/mod/sbin/tune2fs' but it can be run as 'tune2fs' if using the new firmware .

It is probably safest to run it from maintenance mode (note that the picture will freeze, any recordings interrupted etc.):
Code:
touch /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/maintenance.boot
reboot
If it is an HD then presumably the disk will be /dev/sda but it is best to make sure using
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/sda
This should show the size of the disk and the available partitions e.g. for an 8GB UPD:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 8004 MB, 8004304896 bytes
35 heads, 21 sectors/track, 21269 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 735 * 512 = 376320 bytes

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1              1      21270    7816688  83 Linux

Unmount the partition if already mounted:
Code:
umount /dev/sda1

To convert from ext3 to ext2:
Code:
/mod/sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1

To convert from ext2 to ext3:
Code:
/mod/sbin/tune2fs -j /dev/sda1

When finished type 'reboot'

....then in the WebIF diagnostics run assignhd to update the UUID register*.

* I'm not 100% sure of this bit, af123 can you confirm?

Yes, assignhd takes the UUID from the drive and puts it in the file that the Humax uses to indicate the recording drive.

CabSandy, do you know which format your pen drive was using before the HD-FOX-T2 reformatted it?

The reason I ask is because my 64GB pen drive would not reformat by the HD-FOX-T2 (1.02.20 and 1.02.29) when it was FAT32, but I have now managed to reformat it (1.02.20) after first updating it to exFAT.

I wonder if the Humax will read (and maybe write) to an exFAT formatted Flash Drive?, I guess not, as this would get around the FAT 4 GB limit, the NTFS read only and the EXT2/3 P.C. incompatability
EDIT
It looks like the Humax won't do anything with exFAT :(

I loaded a 5GB 9200T recording on to the 64GB pen drive before getting the HD-FOX-T2 to reformat it. Neither the HD-FOX-T2 nor the HDR-FOX-T2 could read it.

• Put in the 32GB pen drive (UPD) , formatted to FAT32 beforehand, and then let the HD format it as the "new" HDD. Then let the HD set it up for recording. Did a few test recordings and all went well, also paused Live TV.
I have failed to replicate this at the first hurdle. My Verbatim "32GB" PinStripe UPD has a reported formatted (FAT32) capacity of 29.2GB, and the HD-FOX refuses to offer the format option.

Best try the conversion from telnet menu option then...

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

When I formatted to Ext2 by PC/PartedMagic I was still not offered any format/enable PVR options. My next idea is to build a PVR HDD and replicate the structures (including disk ID) onto the UPD (bearing in mind this is the vanilla HD-FOX section).

Here's some feedback on USB drives etc.

Philips 64GB Snow Series USB 2.0 flash drive

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/p...ash-drive-memory-stick-64gb-wh2-phmmd64gbs200
Good value, benchmarks fine on laptop, passes fake flash tests.

After converting to ext2 using Telnet menu, it accepts CF installation and appears as Humax s/w's designated drive. However whenever the humaxtv process touches the drive it's liable to hang the UI for several minutes. Recordings never succeed. But apparently there's no problem playing an imported MP4 (H.264/AAC) video.

This behaviour was seen with the 64GB drive plugged in directly as well as with various USB hubs and with this USB hub/card reader, which has slots for 4 different memory card types plus 3 USB sockets:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Port-U...ter-with-All-in-one-Card-Reader-/202097379518

A 32GB MicroSD card with CF works perfectly in this reader, allowing recording and TSR if enabled, and a snappy UI. Apparently the SD and MicroSD slots (perhaps all 4 slots - no MS or TF to test) are mutually exclusive.

YOU CAN'T RECORD TO A UPD.

You can install the CF to a HDD.

Update: at least, all the evidence we have to date indicates you can't record to a UPD. SSDs are a different matter.

Yes you can!
I`m currently recording to one to record footie.

Yes you can!
I`m currently recording to one to record footie.
Have another read of the 2012 comment that you refer to. It states "all the evidence we have to date" and is dated 29th August 2012.
Did you miss the date?
It was written before the post dated 30th August 2012.

Compared with the HDR, one difference in PVR functionality that doesn't obviously follow from the single rather than twin tuner setup concerns ad hoc recording.

For HDR, you are supposed to be able to commit some of the time shift buffer to a recording by rewinding (ha!) the live buffer to the desired start point and pressing Record. This doesn't work with the HD: it just offers to discard the buffer and start the recording from the live broadcast.

1. It was when I discovered it.
2. I don't recall seeing any mention of it.
3. Since the settop binaries for HD and HDR are about the same size and generally work the same except for platform differences (eg, tuner count), I thought it was surprising. Perhaps the HD code was taken from baseline HDR code that hadn't yet implemented the feature.

Back