HD Picture Breakup

Andybrody

Not sure if this should be in Customized Firmware or in HD Fox, its about an HD fox that has customized firmware installed. Please move if needed.
My HD Fox developed a problem with HD (all) channels e.g severe picture break up which can clear after 15 to 20 mins,
its fine on Non HD channels.
I have moved the box down stairs to where my HDR Fox is both are on the same aerial and aerial amp the picture break up is exactly the same.
Does anyone think this is terminal or can anything be done, maybe carring out complete reset and reinstall Custome firmware and full channel reset.
Example photos below

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_195130.jpg
    IMG_20201129_195130.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20201129_195148.jpg
    IMG_20201129_195148.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20201129_195201.jpg
    IMG_20201129_195201.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20201129_195212.jpg
    IMG_20201129_195212.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201129_195222.jpg
    IMG_20201129_195222.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
Check your aerial is fine. If the breakup is in the same place on both boxes, sounds like the aerial is terminal

Check your aerial is fine. If the breakup is in the same place on both boxes, sounds like the aerial is terminal
Aerial is fine, the HDRFox downstairs runs off the same Amp and aerial.
Connected the HDFox to same TV and aerial where HDR is and the same problem as up stairs eg severe picture breakup sound generally works normally.

WAit a minute, how did you get the pictures? Did you pause or was it live and you waited there with a camera?

WAit a minute, how did you get the pictures? Did you pause or was it live and you waited there with a camera?
It was live just took a photo with phone of screen, the fault is constant for about 10 to 15 mins after swaitch on but only on HD channels

maybe carring out complete reset and reinstall Custome firmware and full channel reset.
Why?

Start by checking the signal stats: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection. Pick the relevant mux and observe the strength and quality for a few minutes. If the quality is less than 100% you've got a problem. If the signal level is low you've got a temporary problem if the strength dips any more. If the signal level is high you've got a temporary problem if the signal goes up any more (saturation).

Take no notice of what another machine on the same aerial might say - different units, different tolerances.

Could also be co-channel interference, but in my case, it 'blocks' for a few seconds then picture goes altogether with strong signal level but zero 'quality'. Your amp could also be causing marginal tuner overloading.
Unlikely to be the tuner or HDD. It's a 'signal thing'.

Start by checking the signal stats: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection. Pick the relevant mux and observe the strength and quality for a few minutes. If the quality is less than 100% you've got a problem. If the signal level is low you've got a temporary problem if the strength dips any more. If the signal level is high you've got a temporary problem if the signal goes up any more (saturation).
Mendip Transmitter
CH 35 HD Channel Mux 75% strenth marginal fluctuations + or - 1%. 100% quality no fluctuations.
CH 55 HD Channel Mux 68% strenth marginal fluctuations + or - 1%. 100% quality no fluctuations.
All other SD (no blocking problems) Channels Muxs between 68% and 75% strenth 100% quality

I've Checked the HDRFox downstairs and getting very similar results of signal and quality percentages with no problems of HD blocking on the same aerial. I have swapped around outputs and swapped over the whole aerial amp with no change to the results of the HDfox.
Not sure where to go now.

Could also be co-channel interference, but in my case, it 'blocks' for a few seconds then picture goes altogether with strong signal level but zero 'quality'. Your amp could also be causing marginal tuner overloading.
Unlikely to be the tuner or HDD. It's a 'signal thing'.
Mendip Transmitter
CH 35 HD Channel Mux 75% strenth marginal fluctuations + or - 1%. 100% quality no fluctuations.
CH 55 HD Channel Mux 68% strenth marginal fluctuations + or - 1%. 100% quality no fluctuations.
All other SD (no blocking problems) Channels Muxs between 68% and 75% strenth 100% quality
I've Checked the HDRFox downstairs and getting very similar results of signal and quality percentages with no problems of HD blocking on the same aerial. I have swapped around outputs and swapped over the whole aerial amp with no change to the results of the HDfox.

I am leaning towards dodgy tuner or possibly capaitors an the mother board as the fault generally clears after about 10 to 15 mins.
Im sure its not signal as Ive changed/swaaped machines, aerials and aerial amps.
Defo Not HDD.

Hi Ezra
I presume you cut the image from one of my original 3rd image.

Attachments

• 2020-11-30_10.22.42.jpg
    2020-11-30_10.22.42.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
UIt is a fairly well known fact that badly screened HDMI leads can 'leak' RF that enter a badly screened RF lead (as is usual with commercial patch and cause interference on the TV. Move it as far away from the aerial lead as possible, and try swapping the box's output between interfere with 1080i and 1080p. (different interfering frequency).

Last edited:
Would the problem be solved if OP were to put the brake in the down position?

Or as in a similar thread, the RF-in connector on the problem Humax may be faulty?

UIt is a fairly well known fact that badly screened HDMI leads can 'leak' RF that enter a badly screened RF lead (as is usual with commercial patch and cause interference on the TV. Move it as far away from the aerial lead as possible, and try swapping the box's output between interfere with 1080i and 1080p. (different interfering frequency).
Tried moving the aerial lead and HDMI lead no change, tried 1080i, 1080p, 720p and 576p all the same picture break up that disappears after about 10/15 mins.

Back