HD Picture Breakup

I would suggest opening it up and remove the cables from the HDD.
That would be a quick way, if convenient (with the HDD disconnected, if the problems are still there it's not the HDD). If not convenient to open up, run the usual fixdisk.

There are a number of confounding factors here, and I don't think any progress is being made because of a lack of methodical fault-finding.

Why ever, for example, would anyone set "antenna power = on" in the CF boot-settings package (on two units) unless that was specifically needed (and it would only ever be needed on one unit per antenna anyway)?

The first port of call when it comes to picture problems should be Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection. This (or the similar facility on the Hidden Settings Menu) is the only way to obtain real-time signal monitoring (the tuning bars in the Info display is only a static snapshot, and the report in WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Mux Info is a snapshot stored when retuned). Monitor each listed mux in turn for as long as it takes to confirm that the Quality figure never dips below 100%. If the Quality does dip below 100%, you've found the problem.

Quality < 100%, Strength < 30% - signal could be too weak.
Quality < 100%, Strength > 90% - signal could be too strong.
Quality < 100%, Strength anything - problem could be interference.

"Interference" includes mobile phones, microwave ovens, or even the HDMI lead being too close to the aerial lead. "Signal too weak" could be just a lousy "thin" UHF patch lead from the wall (probably with moulded plastic connectors), or maybe there is an amplifier in the circuit and it needs powering up. "Signal too strong" might include having an unnecessary amplifier in the aerial feed.

Once signal problems have been eliminated, any possibility that break-up is due to HDD problems can be eliminated by disconnecting the HDD. Simples.

In this case, pulling a USB plug (as it turns out) is the easiest possible way of totally eliminating the HDD being the cause, however unlikely that might be.

Why ever, for example, would anyone set "antenna power = on" in the CF boot-settings package (on two units) unless that was specifically needed (and it would only ever be needed on one unit per antenna anyway)?
OK my mistake was simple I misunderstood the "Aerial Power ON/OFF" in boot settings, I thought it was to switch on /off the internal RF amp in the HDR/HD hence I switched both on and then caused myself quite a few problems.

In this case, pulling a USB plug (as it turns out) is the easiest possible way of totally eliminating the HDD being the cause, however unlikely that might be.
I have pulled the USB from the HDFox the picture problem seemed to get better but not eliminated.
I have also carried out a full retune (as the last one was done with the Aerial power ON) this also seems to parially cure the problem.
The HDFox is now inmaitinence mode via System is in Maintenance Mode, and the Access Telnet Menu
And now have had the attached screen for about 2 hrs not sure if it actually doing enything or waiting for another command192.168.1.37_88_.png

I have pulled the USB from the HDFox the picture problem seemed to get better but not eliminated.
I have also carried out a full retune (as the last one was done with the Aerial power ON) this also seems to parially cure the problem.
The HDFox is now inmaitinence mode via System is in Maintenance Mode, and the Access Telnet Menu
And now have had the attached screen for about 2 hrs not sure if it actually doing enything or waiting for another commandView attachment 5204
fix-disk is not a diag option, on the HDR is appears as one of the maint menu options.
Not having a HD I am not familiar with the maint options

Diag really hould have reportef an error when an invalid option is entered :(
Using the HDR command window I get:
Code:
diag fix-disk
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Diagnostic 'fix-disk' does not exist.

Last edited:
Can I take the HDD (1TB) off the HDFox and connect to a PC and run fix disk that way.
Only using Linux, and only using the appropriate set of commands ("fixdisk" is a script). With access to the command line in maintenance mode (as above) you could just as well do it there (if somebody will provide the instructions).

With the HD, the disk is not hidden inside the box, so fix-disk is not necessarily applicable (also, it expects to have some spare disk space that can still be mounted while the disk containing your recordings is being fixed).

If the suspect disk is still mountable, the best thing to do is to acquire some other storage of adequate size, copy any precious material from the suspect disk, run the SATA security erase on the suspect disk, then offer it back to the HD-Fox for reformatting, and finally copy the precious files back to the re-formatted disk.

You can do the copying etc using a USB 2 hub to allow connecting a backup USB storage to the HD (let the system start up with the existing disk first). Alternatively port the suspect disk to a more powerful machine to reduce the time needed (a Windows desktop PC could be booted from a live CD/USB to do the job).

The functionality available through SATA commands depends on the USB-SATA bridge by which the suspect disk is being accessed. It may be easier to install the disk as a native SATA disk (eg in some desktop PC system).

After many hours I have finally cured HDFox Picture Breakup :).
Only using Linux, and only using the appropriate set of commands ("fixdisk" is a script). With access to the command line in maintenance mode (as above) you could just as well do it there (if somebody will provide the instructions).
If the suspect disk is still mountable, the best thing to do is to acquire some other storage of adequate size, copy any precious material from the suspect disk, run the SATA security erase on the suspect disk, then offer it back to the HD-Fox for reformatting, and finally copy the precious files back to the re-formatted disk.

You can do the copying etc using a USB 2 hub to allow connecting a backup USB storage to the HD (let the system start up with the existing disk first). Alternatively port the suspect disk to a more powerful machine to reduce the time needed (a Windows desktop PC could be booted from a live CD/USB to do the job).

The functionality available through SATA commands depends on the USB-SATA bridge by which the suspect disk is being accessed. It may be easier to install the disk as a native SATA disk (eg in some desktop PC system).
Here is how I did it.
I do not get on with Linux I have tried booting into linux on my laotiop in the past just had so many problems.
So I installed LinuxReader.exe on Win10 laptop and saved (copied) all the video files from the HDD onto the laptop via Usb3 port.
Once this was carried out a full re-format of the 1Tb drive via EaseUs to Ext3.
Then I formated the drive on the HDFox and reinstalled all the custom firmware and packages that I need.
Next was to copy all the video files back from the laptop onto the HDD, I was unable to do this via LinuxReader as it only copies FROM a lixux drive to the laptop.
The best way I found to copy the files back to the HDD was via a fully wired Network connection (Ethernet), it took a very long time but it was worth it.
I have tested the HDFox from cold/warm/hot etc and found no picture dreakup on HD or NonHD TV.
Thanks to all who gave me pionters in the right direction.
:):):)

Back