HD Red Button

I use the Red Button data channel for that: 200 (formerly 105). Useful for firing up the PVR mid sports-event without seeing or hearing a spoiler while I get chase-play going.
OK, so you didn't say Humax...

But then again, I think there was enough of a clue that the image I supplied came from the HD/HDR-FOX.

The biggest clue is that this thread in the general Freeview forum. And next biggest clue is in my sig ... or rather what is not in my sig: The Fox that didn't bark ... :D

It would be nice to be able to turn off MHEG on the HDR - after trying the red button once in the early days I have since found no use for it at all, it's just an irritation. And, as my wife tells me, at my age I have no need for any more of those. Currently one of the benefits of HD is the absence of the red(undant) button so I'm not best pleased if it is going to be inflicted on me again.

I suppose it's too deeply embedded on the HDR to be a potential CFW fix?

Nobody is forcing you to press it. :D
If you just want to get rid of the prompt, just press exit on the remote. ;)

The graphic can be physically removed so that it never appears, but we can't disable the mheg.

Nobody is forcing you to press it.
True but I'm forced to press exit! And it keeps reappearing!

It's more irritating when it appears in a recorded programme but if I remember correctly that doesn't happen with the HDR. It was one of the few irritations with the Tivo which used to control an external digibox and record the video output - if you couldn't disable the MHEG you were stuck with the red button throughout. Some digiboxes allowed this, some didn't.

When you say the graphic can be physically removed what do you mean? Is this something which can be done now or a possible CFW fix?

If you watch in chase play mode i.e. while watching live TV, press pause then play, you won't get the Red Button or the Book Me icons displayed as they are only present on live TV. You would have to do this each time you changed channel though. I am guessing that Chris is suggesting a replacement transparent red button icon which would be present but invisible, this is possible in the case of the Book Me icon as we know where it is, however I'm not sure about the Red Button icon

The problem with making the icons transparent is that you may press OK when it is active (but invisible) and end up unintentionally booking a program.

Until very recently my 302 service has been displaying text "BBC Red Button" on black and nothing else, and noting the previous discussion in this topic I am not at all sure whether this really was LCN 302 or the service that moved to LCN 308 (although I reckon I must have retuned in the intervening time).

However, now I get "No programmes are currently being broadcast on this channel" and the screen saver kicks in. Something has happened.

It's that time of year again when services get added, so it's probably to do with that. There are going to be additional services on COM6 and PSB3 for Wimbledon/Glastonbury/Commonwealth Games.
I had a look last night but nothing was evident then.

You may need to retune as BBC RB 302 is moving to COM6 from 16th June - 3rd August.

Edit: I have just retuned ARQ B/COM6 on my TV, and can confirm that BBC RB 302 is back, showing "BBC Red Button" in white text at the top of a black screen.

Back