HD .ts file to blu-ray

FWIW, I tried WinFF on Ubuntu/Mint and it complains twice about a missing presets file then issues an exception (probably trying to access a non-open handle caused by same). Looks like it's just a front-end for ffmpeg anyway.

If the recording is on a HDR-FOX with custom firmware, you can do the audio conversion on the unit itself using ffmpeg. Open a telnet session and navigate to the folder in question from the command line. For example to navigate to the 'My Video' folder -
Code:
cd /media/"My Video"
Where the input file is 'a.ts' and the output file is 'b.m2ts' -
Code:
ffmpeg -i a.ts -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 b.m2ts
The conversion is not quick; it seems to take roughly as long as the recording length but it runs without being too resource hungry. Note that m2ts files don't show up in the standard user interface or Web-If, but are visible in a file explorer or by FTP. As an alternative you could install ffmpeg on your PC and run the audio conversion there: this will be a lot quicker.

If the recording is on a HDR-FOX with custom firmware, you can do the audio conversion on the unit itself using ffmpeg. Open a telnet session and navigate to the folder in question from the command line. For example to navigate to the 'My Video' folder -
Code:
cd /media/"My Video"
Where the input file is 'a.ts' and the output file is 'b.m2ts' -
Code:
ffmpeg -i a.ts -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 b.m2ts
The conversion is not quick; it seems to take roughly as long as the recording length but it runs without being too resource hungry. Note that m2ts files don't show up in the standard user interface or Web-If, but are visible in a file explorer or by FTP. As an alternative you could install ffmpeg on your PC and run the audio conversion there: this will be a lot quicker.

Thanks, can you run the ffmpeg on the raw .ts file on the pc, or do you have to demux it before?

Or what command would you use to convert just the audio on a specific file?

Thanks again so much.

Last edited:
Thanks, can you run the ffmpeg on the raw .ts file on the pc, or do you have to demux it before?

Or what command would you use to convert just the audio on a specific file?

Thanks again so much.
There is no need to demux the 'ts' file first. The 'vcodec' command corresponds to the video, 'acodec' to audio: you can use it just to extract an audio stream if you like. By default the audio conversion (to ac3) gives audio with a bit rate of 128kbps but you can change this. To get a better idea of how long it takes, I converted a 30 minute programme on the HDR-Fox itself. It is better than I thought as it took about 13 minutes to complete. The audio was perfectly in sync throughout.
EDIT. Reading the ffmpeg documentation, it recommends at least an 160kbps audio stream when converting to ac3. I have added the command for this in the example below:
Code:
ffmpeg -i a.ts -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 160k b.m2ts

Last edited:
makeydiam - is it the PS3 you are having a problem with? I have a faint recollection that when I used to watch iPlayer, for example, on a PS3 that after a while the video would stop playing, although there was still audio. IIRC this was due to some screen saving setting in one of the menus: you might think running iPlayer should stop this but it didn't. Blu Rays and DVDs played OK though. Perhaps for some reason your home made blu ray discs don't defeat this screen saving setting? I used to go into the menus to disable the setting while watching iPlayer then turn it back on later. Try having a look it the PS3 menus to see if you can find the setting and turn it off.

is there a filetype anyone would suggest thats ps3 friendly. I want to maintain the maximum quality in playing it back. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Did you try my original suggestion? I don't know that it will work on PS3, but MP4 is pretty universal.
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would have thought Blu-ray players can play just about anything you throw at them. You could try simply burning the .ts to disc as data, or renaming it to .m2ts first - and if neither of those work, repackage to .mp4. No authoring required.

Did you mean "PS3"? If that's the case, and appeal for a "filetype" is irrelevant.

Both - Sony consoles in general don't support NTFS, so as a result irrespective of container, files larger than 4GB can't be played back other than possibly by DLNA streaming.

There is free software to change container type to .mp4 without recoding video (usually audio is converted to aac).

Example for Matroska .mkv container

http://www.videohelp.com/software?t...bmit=Search&portable=&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50

Last edited:
So ive set up a batch on videoredo with about 5-6 combinations of a 1 min recode using different presets. Ill post back which combination gives best results!

Certainly, the high profile android seems to be undistinguishable from the original file. Although I'll g have to trim the bitrate to stay under 4gb as I'm getting a 50mb file for 1 min = 4.5gb for 90 mins.

So ive set up a batch on videoredo with about 5-6 combinations of a 1 min recode using different presets. Ill post back which combination gives best results!

Certainly, the high profile android seems to be undistinguishable from the original file. Although I'll g have to trim the bitrate to stay under 4gb as I'm getting a 50mb file for 1 min = 4.5gb for 90 mins.

Have you thought of buying a seperate media player ? Tiny portable ones that cost as little as around £22.00 will play back the files in full original quality without all the messing about and can use NTFS hard disks.

eg

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/s...world-s-smallest-mkv-player-SUMCYCLONEMICRO2+

Back