HDD or Fan help please.

Simps

My unit has been freezing lately and I have to turn it off via the switch at the back. It all makes a very loud humming with I thought was the hard drive but it might be the fan spinning. The back of the unit is very hot and the fan is blowing very hot air out.

I have this data from the Disk Diagnostics....

disk.JPG

Can someone tell me what they think is at fault please. Thank you.

Took it apart just now and it was a bit dusty but nothing major. Blew it all clean with compressed air.
Should the fan be spinning all the time or only when the unit gets hot. The fan is not spinning at all when switched on watching tv.

OpkzJcT.jpg

Cheers.

By default the Humax only turns the fan on when it is already too hot.

If you haven't already install the Fan package and set it to run the fan constantly at 40-50% this keeps it nicely cool around 40C without being too noisy.

By default the Humax only turns the fan on when it is already too hot.

If you haven't already install the Fan package and set it to run the fan constantly at 40-50% this keeps it nicely cool around 40C without being too noisy.
Thank you, I put that on and the fan still does not turn on even when set to 100%
Time for a new fan I guess.

Thank you, I put that on and the fan still does not turn on even when set to 100%
Time for a new fan I guess.
Did you reboot after installing the package? That one requires it to hook into the system properly.

Did you reboot after installing the package? That one requires it to hook into the system properly.
No, but I have now thank you. Now the fan is spinning. I was just on ebay looking for a fan when I saw the email saying there was a reply. You saved me some money :whistling::D
There is a lot of heat coming out the fan though.
Cheers.

That has done the job I think. An hour on and it's sitting at 43 degrees. Down from 55 degrees. Fan is on 50%, can't hear it over Cbeebies lol
Thanks for the help everyone.

An hour on and it's sitting at 43 degrees.
That's still a bit high - the one here has been on for nearly 2 hours now and is sitting a 31C or 10C above ambient. But it's a later one with the fan set up to blow cool inwards which makes a lot more sense so I'd advise you (and anyone else) to set it up like this.

That's still a bit high - the one here has been on for nearly 2 hours now and is sitting a 31C or 10C above ambient. But it's a later one with the fan set up to blow cool inwards which makes a lot more sense so I'd advise you (and anyone else) to set it up like this.
How do I do that, simply turn the fan round ?

In the picture above. If I unscrew those 4 silver screws then turn the fan round to face the other way it will suck air in to the case. There are 4 holes on the other side so I can screw it back on.
Or am I missing something.

I bought a left-handed fan off ebay along with a tin of tartan paint and a chocolate fire guard. Cheers....

Right I have turned the fan round and it's been on 2 hours. The temp is 33 degrees and room temp is 24 degree. Set to 50% in the fan package.
A lot better. Thanks for the suggestion @everthewatcher . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

With the attendant problem that the fan is now blowing dust into the cabinet. I don't suppose that matters with the HDR-FOX because there aren't any filters, but in a cabinet where there are filters on the air intakes it is usual for fans to exhaust rather than pressurise.

The Planetarium in London uses positive pressure however: the supply of air is highly filtered so that the light beams from the projector remain invisible (until they hit the dome, that is), and when the doors open there is an outrush of air to prevent contaminants coming in that way.

Back