HDD - Reallocated Sector Count at 100

Walshy

I received a "No space left on device" email from the RS package this morning.
I tried running fix disk, but that was looping for ages with the "Illegal Block" problem reported elsewhere on this forum.
I then decided to run the "long check" which completed without error.
Having checked back on the webif, I noticed:

5Reallocated_Sector_CtPO--CK0100100036100%-

Does this mean my HDD is dying? Is there anything I can do other than back up and replace? I've had the HDD 2 years and 2 months ago, so it seems the "out of warranty self destruct" has kicked in.

Thoughts?

Hmm, maybe I'm confusing myself then.

The first thing I noticed was 'disk utilisation reporting 100%, yet space used is 40%:
1597403813608.png

That prompted the disk check. Why the inconsistency between Total Space - Used and Disk Utilisation?

It did record ok last night. I shall schedule something to record this afternoon to check.

Disk diagnostics now showing:
1597404341268.png
1597404382332.png

Is this something I need to worry about?

This is the content of the email:

The HDR-Fox T2 (humax - -----------)
has some potential hard disk problems.

Overall Health: No space left on device
Reallocated sectors: 0 (was 0)
Pending sectors: 0 (was 0)
Offline sectors: 0 (was 0)

Guess I need to rename this thread....

Last edited:
Clearly that's not true, as your images show. Did you not think to disbelieve the email?
I tried running fix disk
Why? Even if you had run out of space, fix-disk isn't going to magically make some more appear.
Why the inconsistency between Total Space - Used and Disk Utilisation?
That 100% figure is just telling you that 162.11 GiB is 100% of the used space... which is 162.11 GiB. It's not used space out of total space.
Obviously, how ever much you've used, that is always going to say 100%.
Yes, it's completely stupid.
Is this something I need to worry about?
No.

Hmm, unnecessary aggression, but that aside...

Looking at the evidence, there's plenty of space on my HDD, so I figured something was out of sync somehow, hence the hope that fix disk would sort this. I wasn't expecting it to magic up some free space.

I realise now what the 100% is telling me, but with the email stating the disk was full, I thought it was to do with that.

Ok, so the error is with the email from RS pkg. Any ideas why it's reporting this?

One thing you might want to consider is installing the Fan package to keep the disk a bit cooler.
By default the Humax doesn't turn the fan on until it reaches 55 degrees which is the same temperature which triggers a warning in the Smart data.
Running the fan at a constant 40-50% is quieter and keeps the disk under 50.

I figured something was out of sync somehow, hence the hope that fix disk would sort this
It doesn't. It fixes bad sectors and broken filesystems. It does not milk the cat, make the cow, or feed the tea.

Again, the unnecessary aggression. I figured the email reporting disk full might be down to a filesystem problem.

Any idea what's causing that or are you just going to fire more insults my way?

So having had a quick look around to see that everything is in fact OK, the conclusion should be that RS got its knickers in a twist rather than anything more serious.

It doesn't. It fixes bad sectors and broken filesystems. It does not milk the cat, make the cow, or feed the tea.
It's not impossible that the filesystem might have lost track of some free space, or miscounted some used space, causing the 100% usage report (less likely with ext2/3/4 than, say, FAT, but still possible). And then fix-disk would have restored the misreported free space.

However there is a misinterpretation of the disk space diagnostic. The total usage is shown in the top right widget: "Total space: T; Used: U; Free: T-U". The 100% in the usage tree is just the sum of the usages of all the files and subdirectories, so the root always shows 100%, representing all the used space on the Video partition.

The successful long SMART test and the quoted SMART stats indicate a physically healthy disk.

Why RS chose to send you that email is beyond my area of expertise.

So having had a quick look around to see that everything is in fact OK, the conclusion should be that RS got its knickers in a twist rather than anything more serious.

Yes, although I wasn't sure, hence the post. Worried the box was failing as have had other issues recently with HD channels appearing scrambled, so posted for some reassurance.

Any clues as to what caused the email?

The problem is people viewing plain speaking as aggression. Don't go to Yorkshire.
I get and appreciate plain speaking. Been accused of it myself many times.

This:
Why? Even if you had run out of space, fix-disk isn't going to magically make some more appear.
and this:
It does not milk the cat, make the cow, or feed the tea.

However is not plain speaking or constructive.

I misinterpreted the Disk Utilisation at 100% due to the Disk Full email I received. Surely an understandable mistake.
Believing the disk and the system to be at odds, I ran fix disk, more in hope than anything else.

It these sort of comments that put people off reaching out for help. Why come on here if not trying to help? Smugness? A feeling of superiority?

Just trying to get my head around the etiquette.

Worried the box was failing as have had other issues recently with HD channels appearing scrambled, so posted for some reassurance.
Then let's try a cuddly "It could be something to do with the hot weather" and high pressure areas causing interference from a distant station that normally does not cause interference.

I get it a lot of the time from those nice people across the English Channel. In analogue days it used to cause ghosting and parts of the French programmes showing in the background. Now it just completely screws up the affected multiplex(s), frequently, but not always, starting with the BBCB Mpx (HD) because BBCB is a tad more 'delicate' than the rest of the main 6 MPXs

I get and appreciate plain speaking. Been accused of it myself many times.

This:

and this:

However is not plain speaking or constructive.

I misinterpreted the Disk Utilisation at 100% due to the Disk Full email I received. Surely an understandable mistake.
Believing the disk and the system to be at odds, I ran fix disk, more in hope than anything else.

It these sort of comments that put people off reaching out for help. Why come on here if not trying to help? Smugness? A feeling of superiority?

Just trying to get my head around the etiquette.
Nothing wrong with your etiquette. There are quite a few boffins who know A LOT of this techy stuff but not much human relations

Back