HDD swap from one T2 to another?

Mz1

Hello
I'm sure the following query is a really elementary but please bear with me!
We have two 1TB HDR Fox T2s dating from 2010. One has a problem with the IR receiver and is essentially 'toast'. Unfortunately this set holds some recordings (mostly in HD) that we'd like to keep. I'm aware that the recordings are encrypted for that set only but I have no idea whether the encryption key is in firmware or on the HDD itself.
So, before getting too enthusuastic with a screwdriver, I thought it best to ask whether a direct swap of the HDD from the offending unit into the OK one is likely to work?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

So, before getting too enthusuastic with a screwdriver, I thought it best to ask whether a direct swap of the HDD from the offending unit into the OK one is likely to work?
No, it won't. If you are new to all this, you have a bit of learning to do but it's not too bad.

What you have to know is that all the recordings are encrypted on the disk (whether HiDef or StDef), and (as standard) only the machine that recorded them can decrypt them. Things Every... (click) section 5.

If all that is wrong with the HDR in question is the IR receiver, installing the custom firmware plus the ir package will get you out of trouble - this provides a virtual remote control via a web browser. Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

If you still want to retire that unit and recover the recordings, the easiest (non-techie) way to do it is to install auto-unprotect (so that HiDef recordings can be copied to USB the same as StDef), then copy what you want to keep to a USB drive. The recordings will then play from USB on the other HDR (having been automatically decrypted during USB copy).

Transplanting the entire HDD requires careful attention to decryption, and is probably not for the novice.

Decryption Guide (click)

Having installed the CF and auto-unprotect on the original machine you could then turn on auto-decryption to decrypt all of the existing recordings.
While it is possible to decrypt recordings on another machine it is most straight forward to do it on the machine where they were made .
Once decrypted swapping the disk into another Humax, or mounting in a caddy is feasible

I feared that a straight swap would be too easy a solution -- big sigh!
It would be good to get the problem unit back in service, so it looks as though our best bet is to go via the custom firmware/IR package route.
Many thanks to all who responded to my plea.
With all good wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Back