HDD !!WARNING!!

peterpi

I did have a bit of glitch with the HDD some time back. Its also really slow doing anything and missed a couple of scheduled recordings last night. This is what I see on screen and althought I've slected Diagnostics I've been waiting about ten minutes for anything to happen. I've ordered a new HDD, 2TB Seagate Pipeline, as recommended, and I'll install that tomorrow. Is it as bad as it looks?

Thanks in advance.
PeteHumax Error Report.jpg

I did have a bit of glitch with the HDD some time back. Its also really slow doing anything and missed a couple of scheduled recordings last night. This is what I see on screen and althought I've slected Diagnostics I've been waiting about ten minutes for anything to happen. I've ordered a new HDD, 2TB Seagate Pipeline, as recommended, and I'll install that tomorrow. Is it as bad as it looks?
There is a problem but impossible to say how significant it is without the full diagnostics. I would try connecting via telnet and running fix-disk.

OK, I'll give that a try. I think there are instructions on how to do that as I did it last time I had a warning.

Thanks again
Pete

I've run fix-disk but it only runs for a split second, before I get "Press return to continue". I wonder if I should re-install CF?

That isn't right. Can you explain exactly what you are doing, step by step.
I used Putty open a telnet connection. Enter System Pin, type diag, return, Fix-Disk, return. Says it running for less than a second and I get press return to continue, and I'm back to the Telnet Menu screen again. Since I've done that however, it seems to have settled down, is responding quickly and recording programs again. I'll have the new drive tomorrow so hopefully I'll have time to fit that and just call this episode another glitch, if any of that makes sense.

Thank you Martin.

I used Putty open a telnet connection. Enter System Pin, type diag, return, Fix-Disk, return. Says it running for less than a second and I get press return to continue, and I'm back to the Telnet Menu screen again.
As others have said, you can't run fix-disk without first entering maintenance mode.

And you run it directly from the maintenance mode menu, not as a diagnostic command.
Is it current BH as the posts are all pretty old?
It's close enough - step 2 talks about how to access the Telnet menu, step 3 talks about entering maintenance mode and then selecting the fix-disk option.

I've not done it since it started behaving itself.
It isn't. You just haven't needed to read/write those problem sectors yet.
I don't particularly like the "Reported_Uncorrect" figure.
Should I run a SMART test after I run fix-disk?
Just report the stats. again. The attributes of interest are IDs 5,187-189,197-198.

It isn't. You just haven't needed to read/write those problem sectors yet.
I don't particularly like the "Reported_Uncorrect" figure.

Just report the stats. again. The attributes of interest are IDs 5,187-189,197-198.

I opened putty and initiated a telnet session but this time I entered maintenance mode and run fixdisk not fix-disk and its running a short test now.

I've got the latest CFW and I believe that is able to format the 2Tb HDD I have?

Thanks again.

I entered maintenance mode and run fixdisk not fix-disk and its running a short test now.
If you look in /bin the actual software is called fix-disk but the user interface may call it something else; anyway we are talking about the same thing.
I've got the latest CFW and I believe that is able to format the 2Tb HDD I have?
It isn't the custom firmware version that matters; what does matter is the version of the standard Humax software. It needs to be 1.03.12.

If you look in /bin the actual software is called fix-disk but the user interface may call it something else; anyway we are talking about the same thing.

It isn't the custom firmware version that matters; what does matter is the version of the standard Humax software. It needs to be 1.03.12.
I just checked and it is 1.03.12, so fingers crossed.

I've put the new 2Tb HDD in and it seems to be OK. I was surprised how quickly the T2 formatted it but I guess its the windows equivalent of a quick format.

I can read the files on the old drive but I've tried to play one file which is an SD one, with VLC but nothing doing. Is it encrypted to play only on the machine it came out of? I've not plugged the cradle containing the old drive into the T2 yet, I'm hoping I can read them off there. If not I'll have to put it back in and archive the recordings I want to keep on another external drive.

Back