HDMI Matrix Switch Probs

GerSam

First post here... Hello!

Just got a youview box from BT. Hooked it up, tuned it in etc. All good. Except... it doesn't play nice with my 5x2 HDMI matrix switch.

The problem seems to be that the HDMI momentarily drops out when changing between live TV and menus etc... or the other way around. Either way, the light for the input on the HDMI switch goes off and the tv screen goes blank. Oddly, the matrix doesn't automatically switch to the next device (as it does if you switch of the xbox for example).

This was never an issue with my Sky HD box. The HDMI input was always ON even when the box was in standby - which wasn't great for auto switching - but it never freaked out the switch the way the Humax does.

This sounds like it may be the Humax remote control conflicting with the HDMI matrix switch. Can you try covering your matrix switch ir receiver, and see if the problem persists.

The "1" button on HDR-FOX control channel 2 switches my HDMI matrix - pain in the arse.

This problem might also be that the YouView box (might be) switching screen resolutions when menus are on screen, and maybe the matrix is slow to respond. The HDR-FOX doesn't switch resolutions for menus, but if I do switch resolutions deliberately there is a considerable interruption while everything settles down.

Thanks for al the responses. Sure enough, there seems to be a problem with the remote causing the switch to act up (it's the down button that's causing it). Hopefully it's just that. So good and bad news I suppose. The IR receiver on the switch is finicky anyway, so covering it up entirely might not make too much difference

I have experience of Humax PVR-9300T, and HD/HDR-FOX T2 remote controls conflicting with a HDMI Matrix switch. The remote control for the HD/HDR-FOX T2 can be changed to a non-conflicting mode, but unfortunately I don't think that the YouView boxes support this feature.

Anyone using a 4x2 matrix switcher that doesn't conflict with a youview box? Could persuade myself to buy a new one, but don't want to run into the same problem

Ditched the matrix and bought a Kinivo one on amazon for £40
Only been using it a few hours, but so far no conflicts!

The "1" button on HDR-FOX control channel 2 switches my HDMI matrix - pain in the arse.

Can't you disconnect the IR input to the HDMI switch, or do you need it? (I only use the auto switching on mine.)

The Logitech 900 has a good solution to this, which I am guessing the Ultimate also has. The remote can send RF commands to its RF-IR converter, rather than IR.

OK, so the problem appears to still be there, except that they supply two further plug-in repeaters for the converter, and you can route IR commands aimed at a particular device to any or all of these three IR sources. You would stick one next to your Hummy and another next to the HDMI switch's receiver, or one next to one Hummy and another next to another Hummy, both on the same command set. You can also buy more converters and route to those.

The RF also means that the coffee table doesn't block the IR signal. Or, you can operate a box from another room, eg, to watch its recordings.

Can't you disconnect the IR input to the HDMI switch, or do you need it? (I only use the auto switching on mine.)
Yup, black tape over the sensor does it and I use the front panel buttons. That doesn't help my projector though, which needs a command input to make it turn on after applying power (or I have to reach up to the ceiling to press a button).

Anyway, the "switch" is a MATRIX - so auto-sensing is a no-go (multiple inputs, multiple outputs - how would it know which output to switch?).

Yup, black tape over the sensor does it and I use the front panel buttons. That doesn't help my projector though, which needs a command input to make it turn on after applying power (or I have to reach up to the ceiling to press a button).

Anyway, the "switch" is a MATRIX - so auto-sensing is a no-go (multiple inputs, multiple outputs - how would it know which output to switch?).

Fair enough. By auto-switching, I meant that the inputs were prioritized so that you didn't need to choose input, the switch does that for you, either switching to the highest numbered active input. (Generally, only one is active at a time, but it is prone to the general Hummy problem if the latter is recording, and switched on from active standby, in that it doesn't always respond.)

I had presumed that the one selected input would go to both outputs, but clearly in your matrix you can have several inputs active and channel any of them to any output. How sad they used IR as the remote method.

I had presumed that the one selected input would go to both outputs, but clearly in your matrix you can have several inputs active and channel any of them to any output.
That's the whole point of an HDMI matrix switch, and unless it did that I would regard "matrix" as misrepresentation.

Back