HDMI Matrix that works?

GerSam

Anyone got an HDMI Matrix that works ok with a youview box? Mine has a remote control conflict. I've currently got a 5x2 Matrix, but could make do with 4x2 or even 3x2. Cheers!

No, it's a 5-input switch. A matrix switch connects each of multiple (more than one) outputs to any one of multiple inputs. Just because a 5x1 array is a matrix in mathematical terms...

Says who? You? Oh yes, you are your own authority aren't you. If it's a matrix in mathematical terms, why isn't it in video terms?
A switch is just a one output matrix (in this context).

(And yet another predictable pathetic Like to go with your point of view as well.)

OK, find one of your "matrix" switches that is advertised as such. Context is everything. (And no, it's clearly not just me that says so. Talk about biting the hand...)

I may not like what he says, but I defend to the death his right to make a total idiot of himself in public!

The pertinent definition in my dictionary says a matrix is "a rectangular array of...".
It doesn't say one dimension has to be greater than 1, which is obvious when you can have nx1 or 1xn matrices in maths. A row or a column is still a matrix.
Just because an object's commonly called something else doesn't stop it being a member of a bigger set of things.

Most advertising is a lie anyway.

That's the definition of the word 'matrix' in a general sense, not the way it applies in this particular domain (and the way it would be understood as a form of communication to describe the characteristics of a switch).

By your definition, all switches are matrices (even a simple on/off one in one out switch), so the word 'switch' becomes redundant (or the word 'matrix' becomes irrelevant). In this context the word 'matrix' is used to distinguish a switch with particular properties that would not normally be encountered even in a multi-pole multi-throw switch, much more similar to the crossbar switches used in telephone exchanges (but still not the same). Thus, a multi-in one-out HDMI selector does not have the property that the word 'matrix' is intended to convey as an adjective when applied to the noun 'switch'.
(And yet another predictable pathetic Like to go with your point of view as well.)
I'm sure if anyone (at all) agrees with your interpretation, they will give you a like.

More importantly, why are these switch/matrix makers using remote control code sets not intended for their equipment?

IIRC the Philips RC5 spec has been adopted as a common off-the-shelf solution for IR remote control, but it only has 5 address bits (32 different device types). On the other hand, they may be using something different but specific bit streams happen to coincide with codes recognised by other devices. If I turn off my LG TV the Qumi projector also tries to turn off - but at least it asks for confirmation first (and it's a reasonable bet they are not using the same control scheme).

Anyone got an HDMI Matrix that works ok with a youview box? Mine has a remote control conflict.

Can you be more specific? What conflicts with what? What switch is it?

prpr is perfectly correct, by the way, about matrix. Only a slovenly use of English (and mathematics) would make someone adopt the word matrix to cover only m by n switches where m and n are both greater than or equal to 2.

As an aside, a Prof. in Sheffield once gave a seminar in which, for technical reasons, the matrices could have dimensions going down to 0. In a lively discussion that followed, where it became clear that 0 by n and m by 0 matrices were mathematically identical, it was soon realized that the rule that you can only multiply a p by q and an r by s matrix if q=r had to be abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC the Philips RC5 spec has been adopted as a common off-the-shelf solution for IR remote contro

I thought the NEC protocol was almost universal now? It shifts the responsibility to the manufacturer to get the codes right and compatible. The manufacturer then has a choice of having all its settop boxes use the same codes, or of using different codes for each.

In either case, a unit from one manufacturer will never conflict with a unit from another manufacturer, no matter what the units might be. A Humax/switch conflict would only happen if the switch was from Humax.

prpr is perfectly correct, by the way, about matrix. Only a slovenly use of English (and mathematics) would make someone adopt the word matrix to cover only m by n switches where m and n are both greater than 2.
Thankyou (or should that be "Thank you"? :)).

In either case, a unit from one manufacturer will never conflict with a unit from another manufacturer, no matter what the units might be. A Humax/switch conflict would only happen if the switch was from Humax.
Not true, my anonymous HDMI matrix switch (context man, context) switches when I send some Humax commands, as does my Vivitek Qumi projector.

Which just goes to show that your anonymous switch maker sourced some Humax components probably because they got a cheap deal on them.

Bollox. It just shows that whatever agreement the big boys may have come to has not percolated down to the minor manufacturers - there may be a licence fee involved, for example. The Qumi and my matrix come with small coin-cell handsets which are not identical by any means but have a certain similarity. I would lay a bet that there is a manufacturer in China supplying cheap RC sets as components for other manufacturers to integrate into their kit, and that insufficient care is taken to ensure the command scheme cannot be spoofed by or spoof any other equipment codes worldwide.

Note that (AFAICR) it has always been the "minor" equipment (if my projector can be called minor) responding to Humax codes - which suggests to me that the minor equipment is using shorter codes (less validation) which are contained within a longer string the Humax handset spits out. I have solved the problem with the matrix by disabling the IR sensor and using manual switching; the Qumi only seems to be responding to a power command, and it asks for confirmation before acting so it is only a minor inconvenience.

Not true, my anonymous HDMI matrix switch (context man, context) switches when I send some Humax commands, as does my Vivitek Qumi projector.
That is what happens when you selectively quote. Context:NEC protocol!:disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back