HDMI Sync issue

I have suffered with my HDR - FOX T2 not syncing to my LG telly via HDMI ever since I bought it. This occurs about 80% of the time irrispective of which order they are switched on. To remedy this I have been going through the change channel, switch off and quickly back on again routine which mostly works.
I believe others have reported the same issue.

Quite by accident I have discovered that by powering on the Humax by pressing a channel button it syncs every time. Perhaps someone with the same issue could try it and reprt back.

Keep up the sterling work

Alan

I also have an LG TV. Try this on your Humax box to see if it fixes it...

Menu -> Settings -> System -> Power Management -> Power Saving in Standby = Off

I have suffered with my HDR - FOX T2 not syncing to my LG telly via HDMI ever since I bought it. This occurs about 80% of the time irrispective of which order they are switched on. To remedy this I have been going through the change channel, switch off and quickly back on again routine which mostly works.
I believe others have reported the same issue.

Quite by accident I have discovered that by powering on the Humax by pressing a channel button it syncs every time. Perhaps someone with the same issue could try it and reprt back.

Keep up the sterling work

Alan

Mine was fine to begin with then started experiencing the green screen issue on our LG tv which has steadily become worse until now it wont work at all. I have previously tried every scenario I could find on various forums across the internet and just tried your suggestion also without success. We just purchased a Toshiba tv and it refuses to work on that either but it does work every time with a very much older Sharp tv.

It is possible that this is fixed in later software (If you are not currently running the latest software), as Humax 'tinker' with HDMI handshaking with almost every release, although there is a version 1.03.06, it hasn't been supplied by Humax for download, so 1.02.32 is regarded as the latest version by many users

It is possible that this is fixed in later software (If you are not currently running the latest software), as Humax 'tinker' with HDMI handshaking with almost every release, although there is a version 1.03.06, it hasn't been supplied by Humax for download, so 1.02.32 is regarded as the latest version by many users

Already have 1.02.32 installed and have previously tried custom firmware. I have yet to try 1.03.06 but not holding out much hope of success. As quite a number of people seem to have had similar issues (perhaps there was a batch of faulty components, even something as simple as a capacitor which is breaking down) I'm wondering about contacting Humax and saying the unit is not fit for purpose, the Consumer Protection Act may help here even tho the unit is now out of warranty, the point being I believe it is still reasonable to expect the machine to work considering it's age.

Consumer Protection Act? Sale of Goods Act surely. The problem is that after six months (IIRC) it is down to the consumer to prove the item was faulty at the time of sale.

Consumer Protection Act? Sale of Goods Act surely. The problem is that after six months (IIRC) it is down to the consumer to prove the item was faulty at the time of sale.

Haha of course you are correct, got my acts mixed up there for a moment. The former being more to protect the consumer in the event of damage caused by the product.
It would indeed be difficult to prove the item was faulty at point of sale if it was working as expected. I was thinking more of early life failure, in a time frame beyond warranty but less than that in which the product could reasonably be expected to still be working.....dont suppose I would get very far with that tho!

You don't say how old your box is, but no harm in contacting Humax anyway - without trying to be 'legal'. If you don't ask them they will never say "Yes, we'll replace it."
Perhaps more likely is they might part-exchange it for a new/refurb unit at a good price.

Can someone with a 1.03.06 and CF check the Diag databases and see if they have an entry for HDMI_CEC in the TBL_MENUCONFIG table in /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db?
I can see the setting in the default_setup.db but not the setup.db or tempsetup.db.

The reason is, I was testing to see how robust the Humax is to software mistreatment, and I managed to trash the setup.db file. I went through the initial setup procedures to recreate the DB, but since then I've been getting snow for maybe half a second as I start or stop playback. It did clean up for a while, but it's come back.

I tried setting the HDMI_CEC value using sqlite3, but it doesn't persist over reboots, and doesn't have any visible effect.

Maintenance mode is definitely what I needed to make the HDMI_CEC=1 DB change permanent - thanks. Took a while to daisy chain a wired network for it, since WiFi doesn't work with maintenance mode.

Not sure whether adding the entry actually improves things. I'm not seeing snow starting and stopping playback now, but there is half a second of snow half the time I change channels.
Since the problem went away on its own before returning a couple of weeks later I think it's the sort of thing I could build superstitions around.

It's not that difficult, you only need a temporary wire between the Humax and a notebook, netbook, or something.

Here's an example of the snow. It's on stopping playback and restarting it.
As I said, I could build a superstition around it as it keeps changing whether it occurs or not.
It seems to be when changing channel sometimes, but not always. And also when switching between playback and live for some channels but not others. I thought it might be when it changes between HD & SD, or between one Mux and another, but that doesn't seem consistent, and I still can't nail it down.

On an RGB connection there's just black screen at the changeovers. The snow is visible on all S-Video devices connected through a Neet converter to S-Video.
I don't have an HDMI TV to test against. I'd assume it was just an HDMI negotiation/sync issue, although the variability adds to the oddness.

That's not snow - that's no signal at all. For some reason the tuner is going off lock when you go in and out of the media menu. Very odd, I have not seen anything like that before.

Have you run a factory reset?

I'd say that's a TV issue rather than a Humax issue..

I'm confused by your last statement that you don't have an HDMI TV to test against?
If you don't use HDMI and are seeing this "snow" when using Scart or Coax then why were you looking at changing the HDMI_CEC setting?

I use HDMI to feed a converter to an S-Video distribution amp feeding 4 pre-HD TVs.
My suspicion was that it's an HDMI negotiation issue, since when it's settled everything looks fine, and far better than Sky+ used to be with its native S-Video output.
Whether or why it re-negotiates upon changing channel or playback is beyond me though. Maybe the resolution gets renegotiated. For me the V-FORMAT button immediately locks up the Humax. I've had to power it off the recover before, but I've found unplugging the HDMI cable releases it.
The static snow certainly looks like an analogue artifact rather than digital, and if I turn up the sound on the directly connected TV I can hear the show playing while the static's showing on the S-Video TV.

Postscript: Oh crap - I probably shouldn't have pulled the HDMI cable out of the converter. It's now got continuous noise on the picture. Damn. Looks like I'll only be streaming recorded stuff for a while :(

Ahhh I see now.

Yes, the snow is 100% analogue. Digital/hdmi does not produce the snow side effect.

Maybe the distribution amp doesn't like certain resolutions or is just slow at switching resolutions internally which is killing the picture signal.
Try setting the hdmi resolution to the lowest setting (576i I think) as it will be less intensive for the amp and may speedup the switching.

Back