HDR-1000S Whistling noise

Ezra Pound

The HDR-1000S case does appear to have a fan but it is unlikely to come on when the unit is cold, so if the noise is always present, it is more likely to be the Hard Disk Drive

2017-11-03_17.46.19.jpg

MikeSh

In the past, generally and not Humax, I've found whistling noises are often caused by either power supplies or video circuits. I wouldn't jump into changing the disk without being fairly sure it is that.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Any chance you can make a recording of the noise and post it somewhere? The experienced engineers amongst us will have a pretty good idea of its cause when we can hear it for ourselves.

Any chance you can make a recording of the noise and post it somewhere? The experienced engineers amongst us will have a pretty good idea of its cause when we can hear it for ourselves.
Hi,

Many thanks for your kind offer, I'll see if I can get a decent recoding of it on my phone.

Paul

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Yep, but there are lots of types of tinnitus. Sure it’s not your tinnitus? ;)

IIRC the 1000S has an external PSU, otherwise I would say definitely that. Is it in warranty?

Wallace

Slightly Pickled
Are you sure that it is not coming from the VFD? One of my HDRs display does have a high pitched whistle, more noticeable when the unit is in standby.