HDR-1000S Whistling noise

Hi guys,

I've got a whistling noise coming from my HDR-1000S.

Could this be the hard drive, or is there a fan on board?

Regards,

Paul

The HDR-1000S case does appear to have a fan but it is unlikely to come on when the unit is cold, so if the noise is always present, it is more likely to be the Hard Disk Drive

2017-11-03_17.46.19.jpg

In the past, generally and not Humax, I've found whistling noises are often caused by either power supplies or video circuits. I wouldn't jump into changing the disk without being fairly sure it is that.

In the past, generally and not Humax, I've found whistling noises are often caused by either power supplies or video circuits. I wouldn't jump into changing the disk without being fairly sure it is that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes.

Any chance you can make a recording of the noise and post it somewhere? The experienced engineers amongst us will have a pretty good idea of its cause when we can hear it for ourselves.

Any chance you can make a recording of the noise and post it somewhere? The experienced engineers amongst us will have a pretty good idea of its cause when we can hear it for ourselves.
Hi,

Many thanks for your kind offer, I'll see if I can get a decent recoding of it on my phone.

Paul

Hi guys,
I can't record the noise, I think it's too high pitched, it is literately a whistle (like tinnitus, if anyone has that).
Paul

Yep, but there are lots of types of tinnitus. Sure it’s not your tinnitus? ;)

IIRC the 1000S has an external PSU, otherwise I would say definitely that. Is it in warranty?

Are you sure that it is not coming from the VFD? One of my HDRs display does have a high pitched whistle, more noticeable when the unit is in standby.

Yep, but there are lots of types of tinnitus. Sure it’s not your tinnitus? ;)

IIRC the 1000S has an external PSU, otherwise I would say definitely that. Is it in warranty?

Hi,
I'm fairly sure it's not my tinnitus, as I can still hear that as well, It is not in warranty.
Regards,
Paul

It's the Vacuum Florescent Display. This is the display that shows the channel info. etc.

Edit: Cross post with BH.

It's the Vacuum Florescent Display. This is the display that shows the channel info. etc.

Edit: Cross post with BH.
Hi,
I don't suppose there is a way to deactivate the display.
It doesn't show anything useful and its constant scrolling is another distraction.
Regards,
Paul

Back